Sign in to follow this  
AnklePicker

Q's ability to throw won him the title

Anybody else notice that everytime Wright stood up and turned in Kilgore would just clear out and push him away. He didn't even need to throw. Just the threat of it changed the entire dynamic of the match. We need to get back to incorporating throws into our collegiate wrestling arsenal.

Tirapell you want to make wrestling more dynamic? Encourage throwing and the teaching of it by others!

I agree that there is not enough emphasis on throws. For the pure excitement, I would much rather watch a guy who mixes upper body with his leg attacks than a complete let attack guy. Kilgore's respect for Wright's upper body completely took Killer out of his game.

I think too many coaches think upper body are junk moves yet every national tournament we see kids getting headlocked,footswept, bearhugged and thrown in big spots. Just take a look at the Russians and see how important upper body is to their game.

Anybody else notice that everytime Wright stood up and turned in Kilgore would just clear out and push him away. He didn't even need to throw. Just the threat of it changed the entire dynamic of the match. We need to get back to incorporating throws into our collegiate wrestling arsenal.

Tirapell you want to make wrestling more dynamic? Encourage throwing and the teaching of it by others!

Totally agree

http://keepwrestlingintheolympics.com/

Q would be the first to tell you that Ken Chertow taught him and his older brother to throw when they were little kids.

And if Q didn't, Ken Chertow certainly would. LOL.

But seriously, Q went on to say that he developed a very high comfort level with throws as a result of having solid coaching. And it shows.

Post of the week right here. Its 100% right.

As an aside, does anyone remember the candid interviews Q gave at NCAAs his sophomore year to Flo, before and just after winning his first title, talking about the falling out he had with the coaching staff? He talked of his mid-season struggles resulting from he (Q) always wanting to throw, and his coaches wanting him to abandon that stuff in favor of more conservative leg attacks. He talked about how he and his coaches banged heads over that, until they found a middle ground of sorts by season's end where they stopped working at cross-purposes and incorporated both. The rest was history.

I suspect Cael learned some good coaching lessons from having Q under his tutelage. Cael was never an upper-body guy, and maybe his initial coaching instincts were to push guys away from that. But seeing Q's success with it, and figuring out a way to blend it with other offense to make the throws higher percentage and the wrestler more dangerous overall, may well have changed his tune. Hope someone asks him that the next time he's interviewed.

Brutus, funny you mention Chertow because in my original post, I ended by saying that I like the way Chertow incorporates throws into every practice regimen. Didn't know Q picked it up there. However, since I exceeded the 600 characters, I had to omit.

Q's ability to throw definitely has an impact on how the other guy wrestles and gives him more controlling positions. Similarly Ruth's threatening cradle from all angles, sides, positions standing or on the mat has a similar if not more dramatic effect. If Ruth wants the guy to belly down he doesn't even have to ask, he just fakes a cradle (which in Ruth's case is hardly a fake) and the guy flattens. Other guys have to work so hard for position and breaking their opponents down but Q and Ruth's strengths definitely open up doors that are closed to the majority of other wrestlers. I guess you could also see that with Taylor when opponents play the partare game.

One thing that distinguishes Q from a lot of other big throwers is that he can hit throws as well as leg attacks equally well from the same tie-ups, so once he locks up, you never know what he's going to do to you. There are some guys who tie up and you know they're working to launch you. The quintessential example was Kenny Monday, who would go over/under and you knew you were getting lateral dropped but could do nothing about it (Dave Schultz said that about wrestling Monday once). But with Q, you have to defend against both and you have no idea which is coming. Double jeopardy.

One other thing I've noticed is Q can throw to both sides. It takes exceptional hips to do all that.

Q is also exceptionally good at using his feet as offensive weapons, particularly incorporating trips with his throws and his shots. Even the famous standing cradle in the national semifinal 2 years ago came with an outside trip.

A lot of guys would not have finished those 3 underhook shots on Kilgore, because they wouldn't have added the outside trip.

Q is also exceptionally good at using his feet as offensive weapons, particularly incorporating trips with his throws and his shots. Even the famous standing cradle in the national semifinal 2 years ago came with an outside trip.

A lot of guys would not have finished those 3 underhook shots on Kilgore, because they wouldn't have added the outside trip.

That Gambrall standing cradle was definitely a highlight. Also, as Chris Perry said in his post interview with Flo, Wright is a risk taker. Obviously Wright has the confidence in his ability to pull off the big moves that are supported by years of hard work with training and technique. I also think he relies on the big moves because he doesn't have the physical dominance to overtake his opponents with the basic run of the mill stuff that is more easily defended. Instead, he uses his lanky frame to his advantage with angles, footwork, trips, and throws.

ap, i expect to see some of your wrestlers the free and greco tournaments in nj and beyond this spring. make sure they sign up for both styles. problem solved.

I hear you gutfirst and I agree, but I do have a problem with the mentality that throws are for freestyle and GR. My point of this thread is to encourage throws to be utilized and taught in folkstyle. You shouldn't have to do free and GR to learn how to throw.

i coached a high school team and free/greco club. the kids who came to our club got more instruction and reps throwing at practice and tried more often in free/greco matches. they tried in folk matches after. i suspect that is how wright progressed as well.

It seems like yesterday when high schooler Quentin Wright launched Jesse Jantzen during a Senior level finals tourney loss. Jantzen won something like 1-0, 1-7, 1-1 or something like that.

Gonna miss Q and his style. Need more of that in college wrestling.

Gutfirst, I'd like to do that but the rules say I can't coach my athletes until after the school year. The problem is all of the in state gr and free stuff is in April. That's a big reason why we don't have more free and gr participation.

same rules were in place when i was a hs coach in nj. i rolled the dice that free/greco practice with kids from many other teams would not be a problem. it never was, for over 10 years.

i'm guessing your a south Jersey guy? you can always send them to vern or pete?

Who else wrestles like this in college?

Cam Tessari is also a risk-taker that can go upper or lower body and isn't afraid to go for a throw in any match.

Not in college yet, but Chance Marstellar has a similar ability throw or attack off of the same tie-up. He has a nasty hip toss and also has the throwby that Q uses, among other attacks.

Cam Tessari is also a risk-taker that can go upper or lower body and isn't afraid to go for a throw in any match.

Not in college yet, but Chance Marstellar has a similar ability throw or attack off of the same tie-up. He has a nasty hip toss and also has the throwby that Q uses, among other attacks.

reese humphrey put few guys on their heads.

I lost my pool with a bunch of a buddies because of Q. I had Wright scoring 3 against Kilgore not 8 or 9! Killer was wrecking guys all year, I mean just manhandling them. I saw this as a bad matchup for Wright. How stikin wrong was I. This was the most shocking finals match to me. I thouth no way can Wright throw Killer but he was trying! K knew that and it left open the knee picks which Q executed perfectly. I really think he should continue wrestling-hopefull at 211. I know he cant beat Varner right now but I think he could soon.

Post of the week right here. Its 100% right.

As an aside, does anyone remember the candid interviews Q gave at NCAAs his sophomore year to Flo, before and just after winning his first title, talking about the falling out he had with the coaching staff? He talked of his mid-season struggles resulting from he (Q) always wanting to throw, and his coaches wanting him to abandon that stuff in favor of more conservative leg attacks. He talked about how he and his coaches banged heads over that, until they found a middle ground of sorts by season's end where they stopped working at cross-purposes and incorporated both. The rest was history.

I suspect Cael learned some good coaching lessons from having Q under his tutelage. Cael was never an upper-body guy, and maybe his initial coaching instincts were to push guys away from that. But seeing Q's success with it, and figuring out a way to blend it with other offense to make the throws higher percentage and the wrestler more dangerous overall, may well have changed his tune. Hope someone asks him that the next time he's interviewed.

excellent point. i agree this deffinatley broadend cael's horizon of coaching wrestlers with different styles than his, and improved his phenomenal coaching knowledge that much more

reese humphrey put few guys on their heads.

Definitely, he was a stud cut from the same cloth. I was asking for current college guys, though, even though I did mention a HS kid myself.