Fletcher

Echemendia nickname?

6 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Not sure. I don't know Ech that well.

How do you feel about someone 22+ years old pretending to be of high school age in order to showcase his wrestling skills against kids who are mostly 15-18 years old.  Do you find integrity and honor in that?

5 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

How do you feel about someone 22+ years old pretending to be of high school age in order to showcase his wrestling skills against kids who are mostly 15-18 years old.  Do you find integrity and honor in that?

Well Al, again...Don't know him that well.

If I'm not for him is it required to be against him?

Just now, Mphillips said:

Well Al, again...Don't know him that well.

If I'm not for him is it required to be against him?

Just saying : Not a lot of honor or integrity on his part.  I wish him the best though.  

It is interesting to see his results against grown men, however.

8 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Yes, I know, my dad's whole side of the family is Jewish. :)

I didn't post it for you. I figure if you posted it you must know. Yes, I realize that's giving a lot of credibility to most.

12 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Why do you feel the need to attack this guy personally in every thread that’s about him? He wasn’t 22 2 years ago. What value do you get from constantly bashing somebody personally when he immigrated from a communist dictatorship for a better life? Who are you to judge him on a personal level like that for a a decision to compete in HS 2 years ago at an age not much older than Stieber or Mark Hall? 

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

Why do you feel the need to attack this guy personally in every thread that’s about him? He wasn’t 22 2 years ago. What value do you get from constantly bashing somebody personally when he immigrated from a communist dictatorship for a better life? Who are you to judge him on a personal level like that for a a decision to compete in HS 2 years ago at an age not much older than Stieber or Mark Hall? 

Stieber turned 19 in January of his senior year.... so he was 18 when he won Ironman.

1 hour ago, Cradle1 said:

Stieber turned 19 in January of his senior year.... so he was 18 when he won Ironman.

And most turn 18 their senior year.  He was 1 year older than most.  A-Ech turned either 20 or 21.  Not ideal, but I don't see posts questioning Stieber's or Hall's morals.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

3 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

And most turn 18 their senior year.  He was 1 year older than most.  A-Ech turned either 20 or 21.  Not ideal, but I don't see posts questioning Stieber's or Hall's morals.  

He LIED.  

I commend him for leaving that hell hole.  But deception and taking opportunities and memories away from high school kids is despicable .If you factor in the fact that he  has been called either a five time Cuban champ or a six time champ, and then took some time to get to the US... do the math on his age. He would have been old enough to drink, and perhaps older.  He also wasn't wrestling Stieber or Hall.

However, you think it is moral to lie and deceive and perpetuate that lie?

And no offense to the original poster, but since when do JVs get nicknames?

8 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

One year older versus three years older seems like a pretty big difference to me. I do agree that there is nothing to be gained by personal attacks and who knows if he was even really 21.  Plus I think Logan was held back in like the sixth grade or earlier  So it’s not as though he had a lot of say.

Held back one year is so common place these days that it’s sort of like saying you took performance-enhancing drugs to compete in bodybuilding or the Tour de France. So did everyone else.  So it’s a level playing field as opposed to noteworthy.

On 1/19/2021 at 11:10 AM, AHamilton said:

How old is he and what are you relying on to confirm his age?

32 minutes ago, ionel said:

So a thread discussing free speech gets locked but we are allowed to discuss made up nicknames for a teenager?  ;_;

He is at least 22 (on the young side) and as old as 24 or 25.

Theoretically, Echemendia beat Gilman when AE was 15 .   Gilman would have been at Iowa at the time and either was a Junior World bronze or a year away from junior world bronze.  That is a pretty impressive feat, if he was indeed 15!  That and his 5 or 6 Cuban national titles before fleeing at the age of "18" are amazing!

Even if he was "only 21" in high school, the physical and technical differences between 21 and 18 are monumental.

1 hour ago, ionel said:

So a thread discussing free speech gets locked but we are allowed to discuss made up nicknames for a teenager?  ;_;

You must be new around here. we always discuss nicknames on themat.com - welcome aboard!

48 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Theoretically, Echemendia beat Gilman when AE was 15 .   Gilman would have been at Iowa at the time and either was a Junior World bronze or a year away from junior world bronze.  That is a pretty impressive feat, if he was indeed 15!  That and his 5 or 6 Cuban national titles before fleeing at the age of "18" are amazing!

Even if he was "only 21" in high school, the physical and technical differences between 21 and 18 are monumental.

Yeah ... but ... as far as the mods know, he is still a teenager so ...  ;)

55 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Before I believe any of this, I want to see the long form of his birth certificate along with 7 non-family witnesses to his birth.  I hear there are tremendous openings in the  schedule of someone with experience digging up this type info - the likes of which the world has never seen.

9 hours ago, AHamilton said:

He LIED.  

I commend him for leaving that hell hole.  But deception and taking opportunities and memories away from high school kids is despicable .If you factor in the fact that he  has been called either a five time Cuban champ or a six time champ, and then took some time to get to the US... do the math on his age. He would have been old enough to drink, and perhaps older.  He also wasn't wrestling Stieber or Hall.

However, you think it is moral to lie and deceive and perpetuate that lie?

And no offense to the original poster, but since when do JVs get nicknames?

What he did was wrong, but that doesn't mean he is a bad person.  To attack his character based off of that is wrong.  And I don't have a problem with any points about him being overrated, JV, etc.  All that is fair game.  If you have evidence that he lied about his age and care so much about a state title, send it to Arizona wrestling and have them disqualify him/award it to 2nd place.  There is a ton of lying in HS/college athletics eligibility that occurs-the people doing it aren't necessarily bad people.  They are desperate to improve their lives.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

What he did was wrong, but that doesn't mean he is a bad person.  To attack his character based off of that is wrong.  And I don't have a problem with any points about him being overrated, JV, etc.  All that is fair game.  If you have evidence that he lied about his age and care so much about a state title, send it to Arizona wrestling and have them disqualify him/award it to 2nd place.  There is a ton of lying in HS/college athletics eligibility that occurs-the people doing it aren't necessarily bad people.  They are desperate to improve their lives.  

Fine, but my original point is that it disqualifies him from a nickname meaning "a man of integrity and honor."

Some people do les than honorable things to improve their lives and the lives of their family.