kionga

Maryland - Wow

The Terps lose to Michigan State 42-0, then follow that up by losing to Minnesota 48-0.  I would imagine winning only 1 match out of your first 30 would dampen their enthusiasm for this season.

1 hour ago, kionga said:

The Terps lose to Michigan State 42-0, then follow that up by losing to Minnesota 48-0.  I would imagine winning only 1 match out of your first 30 would dampen their enthusiasm for this season.

In a Covid year being at the bottom of the  Big 10 is gonna be rough.Cant schedule teams that help your boost confidence getting ready for Big 10 opponents

20 hours ago, moveurfeet32 said:

The Maryland vs Indiana match should be a doozy..Both are train wrecks right now

Easy now feet! I’m thinking Indiana might be able to contend with both Maryland and Michigan State.  But come on here ,you need to give a little love for the changes made recently in all these programs.

Rome wasn’t built in a day!

18 hours ago, southend said:

Easy now feet! I’m thinking Indiana might be able to contend with both Maryland and Michigan State.  But come on here ,you need to give a little love for the changes made recently in all these programs.

Rome wasn’t built in a day!

It's a process, sure.  But results have to come soon.  Angel is doing good things, but it will take more than Indiana HS studs to turn the program around.  Getting Mendez would be a coup.  Getting a guy like him could potentially cause other highly ranked recruits to follow.  If they miss on him, then it will be more of the same.

2 hours ago, Bozak2018 said:

It's a process, sure.  But results have to come soon.  Angel is doing good things, but it will take more than Indiana HS studs to turn the program around.  Getting Mendez would be a coup.  Getting a guy like him could potentially cause other highly ranked recruits to follow.  If they miss on him, then it will be more of the same.

That said, would you wrestle for a new ,yet unproven coach  if you were an elite Hoosier prep, or take the security offer from Cale or Tom ?
Your decision . 
In a couple more years when angels recruits get a few years in the program, then maybe an elite has a little more information about the program to be able to make an informed decision to jump on board or not.

It is really a catch 22 when a program is run down so low , and hire a man who has never run a program. So it is what it is, a 5 year look and see for Angel. Ask the boilermakers how the process works. 

29 minutes ago, southend said:

That said, would you wrestle for a new ,yet unproven coach  if you were an elite Hoosier prep, or take the security offer from Cale or Tom ?
Your decision . 
In a couple more years when angels recruits get a few years in the program, then maybe an elite has a little more information about the program to be able to make an informed decision to jump on board or not.

It is really a catch 22 when a program is run down so low , and hire a man who has never run a program. So it is what it is, a 5 year look and see for Angel. Ask the boilermakers how the process works. 

If that new, unproven coach could sell me on his vision of the program, show me that they are headed the right direction and it felt right, then sure I'd accept an offer.  If not, then no I wouldn't.  

the other problem is, while Indiana has some good HS wrestlers, I don't see one in the pipeline on the level of Jesse Mendez.  So it might be a while before IU has another shot at a truly elite in-state wrestler.  He will have to develop these in-state recruits into all-americans, and the jury is obviously still out on whether he and his staff can do that.  This is year 3, so he's got some time, but you would hope to see some improvement by now.  6-12 in 2019, 2-10 last year and so far 0-2 this year with one or two possible dual wins on the schedule left.

All good points. But pointing out the Mendez example illustrates another inherent problem for Indiana. Unlike Illinois, Ohio, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, The Hoosier state lacks the volume of the elite. So going to other states with an unproven program for elites creates a huge hurdle to jump. But proven programs make it easy to cherry pick Indiana high elites. Nebraska, Michigan ,Penn state, and Northwestern love that Indiana is down.

5 minutes ago, southend said:

All good points. But pointing out the Mendez example illustrates another inherent problem for Indiana. Unlike Illinois, Ohio, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, The Hoosier state lacks the volume of the elite. So going to other states with an unproven program for elites creates a huge hurdle to jump. But proven programs make it easy to cherry pick Indiana high elites. Nebraska, Michigan ,Penn state, and Northwestern love that Indiana is down.

IU has been down for so long, the Indiana HS elites have been leaving the state for decades.  Going back to the 80's and 90's, guys like Bud Palmer (Iowa), Keith Davison (wisconsin),  Kelvin Jackson (Mich St), Vega (Minny), and into the 00's with Blake Maurer (Ohio St), Tsirtsis (Iowa), Tsirtsis (Northwestern), Howe (Wisconsin), among others.  Now the Lee's (PSU), Lee (Minny), Red (Neb), Micic and Parris (Mich).  The only 2 highly ranked HS studs that ended up at IU are Coughlin and Angel.  I really do hope Angel turns it around, I'm just not that confident.

1 hour ago, lost said:

I saw the box scores and had to post a comment - when Michigan State blanks you, you know you've fallen on hard times..

Again, Maryland stepped up and made a change. Good for them

1 minute ago, RealAmericanHero said:

If you had to place the B1G teams in pods, what would it look like right now?

Pod 1: Iowa, PSU, MICH, possibly NEB & OHST.

Pod 2: ILL, WISC, MINN, & RUTG

Pod 3: MARY, PUR, NW, MSU, and IND

Is that close?

Illinois in pod 1 Purdue in pod 2 OSU pod2

Edited by southend