Nathan

American University wrestling?

5 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

This is sad to see. I wouldn't be surprised if Americsn drops wrestling in the near future.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I was going to say something like this earlier but didn't want to create speculation haha.

I went back through some of Moore's tweets to see if anything stuck out and didn't see much other than some religious stuff but I'd find it hard to believe if that had much to do with him being out.

However around April-June when other teams were getting cut he did seem to be be posting a lot about things like team GPA's, individual stories etc that came off as trying to promote the team to the school so they wouldn't get dropped or something.

We just received an email from the athletic director Billy Walker. Jason will be assisted by former coach Jeric Kasunic. He also states that a national search will begin for new head coach. It also contains a lot of the usual stuff about your the search, financial aid continuing, etc. No  info about why he's gone.

Edited by ConnorsDad

The fact that your example is nearly 30 years old is a good sign for AU.
Really? Check out the schools that dropped since Notre Dame.

Have you heard of the Farm? Stanford? Oregon? Boise State, Syracuse, LSU, etc?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

We just received an email from the athletic director Billy Walker. Jason will be assisted by former coach Jeric Kasunic. He also states that a national search will begin for new head coach. It also contains a lot of the usual mumbo jumbo about your child's health and welfare, financial aid continuing, etc. No  info about why he's gone.

Did you reply back and ask?  You're in a position to demand some answers as a stakeholder here.  Most of us just have to wonder

I have heard stories where donors are willing to give provided their dollars go towards wrestling only but I am not sure this is allowed.  Seems strange to me but I think the University can put the  money where they want.  Maybe Gimp would know the answer to this.  I had heard an ex Bloomsburg Wrestler was going to give some substantial money some years back but was told it couldn't all be earmarked for wrestling and he pulled back his offer.

7 minutes ago, pennsyrules said:

I have heard stories where donors are willing to give provided their dollars go towards wrestling only but I am not sure this is allowed.  Seems strange to me but I think the University can put the  money where they want.  Maybe Gimp would know the answer to this.  I had heard an ex Bloomsburg Wrestler was going to give some substantial money some years back but was told it couldn't all be earmarked for wrestling and he pulled back his offer.

Pretty sure thats how it works..Some of the money needs to go to Womens sport also..I remember a couple of years ago a B1G school was going to get a big donation but the donor wanted all the funds to go to just 1 wrestler for his training and travel...The school said we can't do that.

5 hours ago, lost said:

Did you reply back and ask?  You're in a position to demand some answers as a stakeholder here.  Most of us just have to wonder

I did and am waiting. If and when I hear from him, I will post it on here.

1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

I did and am waiting. If and when I hear from him, I will post it on here.

I appreciate you keeping us appraised of the situation, as a dc area wrestling  fan this is very sudden and disappointing news.

3 hours ago, kingofbing4 said:

No way AU is dropping wrestling as long as Meltzer is providing the $$$.

Moore did not come close to the success Cody had in this environment....time was up.

We'll see which way this goes....but AU is not dropping wrestling.

Time was up when the season already started? Thats just stupid

Notre Dame was able to swindle the wrestling money because they convinced the widow to sign the funds over to girls soccer. The sons got the money back, but not the team. I think future endowments will be closer to ironclad.  I suspect it is more challenging to have such arrangements at a public university.. 

44 minutes ago, RichB said:

Notre Dame was able to swindle the wrestling money because they convinced the widow to sign the funds over to girls soccer. The sons got the money back, but not the team. I think future endowments will be closer to ironclad.  I suspect it is more challenging to have such arrangements at a public university.. 

If the sons got it back- must have been relatively recent. I remember a suit going on.

I sent an email to the AD, Dr. Billy Walker, to ask him several questions myself and others had about the wrestling team. I was pleasantly surprised when he called me in less than 5 minutes.

The first thing we talked about was dropping the program. He told me in no uncertain terms that topic of dropping the program was never even brought up by the president & he should have been more forceful in his email to make sure nobody got that impression. Other points he mentioned are that the season will DEFINITELY go on & there will be a national search for a head coach beginning ASAP. He also said he and others in the athletic dept. are giving Jason and Jeric all the support they can so that the season can go on with as few problems as possible and they are trying to reschedule with Navy (would have been this weekend I believe) in addition to their other matches they have.

I really appreciated the phone call which he had no obligation to make. Dr. Walker, who wrestled at Air Force and does not know me from Adam, was concerned that people were thinking the program might be dropped. He did not say why Coach Moore is no longer there which I expected. 

As for all of us who are fans of Teague we will miss him and hope he succeds in his next job. I personally wish Coach was still there coaching & I really hate to see him go. But, if he can't be the coach, then we all are going to be rooting like crazy for a great hire. While I read here on this board where people were saying AU is no Ivy league school, that may be true. But it is WAY above the level of most colleges including what it takes to get in there, succeed while you are there and how graduates are perceived in the work force especially in politics, business and law just to name a few. I know my kid is getting a hell of a lot better education than  he would have almost anywhere else. If I hear anything else I will let everybody know.

21 hours ago, kingofbing4 said:

Moore did not come close to the success Cody had in this environment....time was up.

Moore had been in the job for eight years in mid-2019 when he signed a 4-year contract extension that took him through 2023.  I can't see a college doing that, then turning around and firing a coach under these difficult circumstances before their season even began.

6 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

https://aueagles.com/sports/wrestling/schedule

They have released a schedule.  I don't know if anything else will be added or not.

Looking forward to the Eagles getting back on the mat as just a fan of the sport! Bucknell also hosts Binghamton on 2/6 and Drexel also travels to George Mason on 2/10. Hopefully those can get turned into true tri-meets to give the guys some more matches. The Lehigh match + if Navy can get rescheduled that gives you a pretty good look at the EIWA in just a couple week period.

18 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Lehigh doesn't have American on its schedule!

Schedules can be really mixed up school to school and I have no idea who is right. Oklahoma is apparently competing in a quad meet (Little Rock, Stanford, South Dakota State) according to the other school's schedules next week but OU doesn't have have any of the matches listed on their own website. There are a couple other examples that I know of as well. Hoping for American's sake Lehigh is just later in adding it to the schedule but I guess we will see.