20 hours ago, NJDan said:

Mitch Finesilver, a one-time AA at Duke at 149 pounds, just took bronze in an international tournament, wrestling at 163 pounds (plus allowance).  How does that happen?

He wrestled for Israel in case that's what you are in reference to.

Edited by fadzaev2

Not being familiar with the specific facts, I still don't find this astounding. He was a fine college wrestler and lots of things visible on the surface could contribute to the jump. 

1. Some guys just take to freestyle in a way they don't to folk.

2. Maybe he was cutting a lot/too much and he's able to train and wrestle better at the higher weight with more muscle and more energy. 

3. Maybe his priority was more academics before and at Duke that kept him from reaching his wrestling potential.

4. And who knows what else could be in play that isn't on the surface.  Maybe he was inspired by the Israeli baseball team and uses their mensch on a bench as a training dummy to perfection.  :)

2 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

He wrestled for Israel in case that's what you are in reference to.

It's not. I was referring to the fact that guys with his college career usually don't place at international tourneys or even enter them. That he is wrestling for Israel at least gave him a shot.

The Finesilver bros created and ran a personal business from their dorms in college.  Someone else cam chime in on the details.

I would expect Matt to pop in on the scene in the next couple years for Israel as well.

Josh and Zach aren't quite as good, but that doesn't mean we won't see four of them representing Israel at some point.  I expect Matt at 86 and Mitch at 74.  Josh likely at 65 with Zach at 70 or 79.

All this said, Mitch was 157 until his senior year and after his senior year had said he couldn't make 65.  So if he has Olympic aspirations they must be at 74.

Also he did defeat Kennedy Monday back at UNC's FiteTV card at 170lbs.

This was not that tough a tourney, and it usually isn't.  And a friend of mine, a zero time national qualifier, medalled in Pan Ams and wrestled in the Olympics.  Most of these tournaments aren't that tough after the first two or three guys in a weight.

Edited by AHamilton

Finesilver's wins over the two Azeris are good not great wins. Meaning they have never medaled at Sr Worlds or Euros but have some impressive wins on their resumes. 

Azimov has a win over James Green and Franklin Maren (CUB) back at the 2018 World Cup. Omarov's best win is over Israil Kasumov (RUS). Kasumov, for reference, won the 2020 Yarygin at 70kg and has placed at Russian Nationals and Euros in the past. 

Those wins are outliers tho for those guys rather than the norm.

This was not that tough a tourney, and it usually isn't.  And a friend of mine, a zero time national qualifier, medalled in Pan Ams and wrestled in the Olympics.  Most of these tournaments aren't that tough after the first two or three guys in a weight.
Sorta like the Spanish Grand Prix in terms of tournament toughness.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Is your friend Larry Langowski?