NJDan

Is Dake a Big Story?

Dake made 74K (plus allowance) for the first time in a long time. Then he had three first period techs and won 5-0 in the finals. 
This seems like a big deal to me. Is it?
Are you talking about this recent tourney? I think you're referencing Yainni's results while typing Dake and Dake's weight....
The weight was really light (the other 2 opponents being Spain and Finesilver) but the Gadzhiyev crushing was definitely notable*
I expected that to be a convincing win but not a throttling in the first period...
I'd say he's wrestling at his level (so far)

*(didn't wrestle a finals match)

15 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Are you talking about this recent tourney? I think you're referencing Yainni's results while typing Dake and Dake's weight....
The weight was really light (the other 2 opponents being Spain and Finesilver) but the Gadzhiyev crushing was definitely notable*
I expected that to be a convincing win but not a throttling in the first period...
I'd say he's wrestling at his level (so far)

*(didn't wrestle a finals match)

Right, my bad. He did not wrestle in the finals, but he did win by first period tech over his first two opponents. In the semis, the scoreboard says he won 7-0 in a time of 2:04. Not sure what this means and I did not see the match live.  I tried to find this match on  replay, but could not do so.

Also, you mention a "Gadzhiyev crushing." But I don't see this bout on the scoreboard.

Anyway, he rolled and seem to be fine with the weight.

Edited by NJDan

Right, my bad. He did not wrestle in the finals, but he did win by first period tech over his first two opponents. In the semis, the scoreboard says he won 7-0 in a time of 2:04. Not sure what this means and I did not see the match live.  I tried to find this match on  replay, but could not do so.
Also, you mention a "Gadzhiyev crushing." But I don't see this bout on the scoreboard.

Yeah as stated above Gadzhiyev was the 7-0 followed by a pin.....
His 2 quick techs don't really say anything, those just weren't "world level" wrestlers.
The Gadz win though... Was super impressive, but he wasn't going to lose that match.
Dake's a 2x world champ who is brilliant... I don't think we learned much

12 minutes ago, NJDan said:

About to get 2+2 right before the pin.  (and this is from the available Mat A stream on Flo, using the mat assignments on the UWW page)

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 10.19.21 AM.png

3 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Yeah as stated above Gadzhiyev was the 7-0 followed by a pin.....
His 2 quick techs don't really say anything, those just weren't "world level" wrestlers.
The Gadz win though... Was super impressive, but he wasn't going to lose that match.
Dake's a 2x world champ who is brilliant... I don't think we learned much

OK, I am an idiot. The bracket shows Gadzhiyev's first name, but not his last. In any event, do you agree that this was a big story overall? Perhaps not. 

OK, I am an idiot. The bracket shows Gadzhiyev's first name, but not his last. In any event, do you agree that this was a big story overall? Perhaps not. 
Not a big story at all.
But I'm glad he looks great.
I personally never doubted the weight management side of his journey

I agree with Spladle- Dake did what he was supposed to do- I did expect Gadzhiyev match to be a bit more competitive though not sure why. As far as the weight cutting, I remember talking to Rob Koll while we were waiting for a flight and I asked him if Kyle Dake fake tans. Koll told me Dake is so serious about his training methods that he would never subject his body to something "unnatural." Apparently, he just goes around without a shirt - I guess I would too if I looked like him without one! LOL! :D My point is, if Dake is that concerned about the details, we shouldn't be worried about him weight cutting- he's doing it the right way. 

18 minutes ago, LifeintheRed said:

I agree with Spladle- Dake did what he was supposed to do- I did expect Gadzhiyev match to be a bit more competitive though not sure why. As far as the weight cutting, I remember talking to Rob Koll while we were waiting for a flight and I asked him if Kyle Dake fake tans. Koll told me Dake is so serious about his training methods that he would never subject his body to something "unnatural." Apparently, he just goes around without a shirt - I guess I would too if I looked like him without one! LOL! :D My point is, if Dake is that concerned about the details, we shouldn't be worried about him weight cutting- he's doing it the right way. 

So this means that the only reason he went to 79K was to avoid JB? I always thought it was a tough cut, though necessary in Olympic years.

14 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

What is this allowance business?  These guys didn't make weight?

The weights were all + 2 kg - that is typical for many tournaments.  They probably figure they will get better turnout than with flat weights.

I think the +2 kg makes a huge difference here. If Dake can perform like that at flat 74, I do think it is a big storyline. Even if he is “expected” to perform that way, you never know exactly what to expect after a big cut until you see it.

4 minutes ago, nom said:

I’m seeing a lot of ROCK BOTTOM reactions.  If The Rock acknowledges this Dake Bomb, it will be bigger news.

That would be awesome! Somebody on the Twitter world needs to tag him or something

13 hours ago, NJDan said:

So this means that the only reason he went to 79K was to avoid JB? I always thought it was a tough cut, though necessary in Olympic years.

I am really surprised the Living the Dream medal fund doesn't get brought up more often.  At the world championships that pays $50,000 for gold, regardless of if it is at 74 or 79 kg.  I am sure that Kyle does well between his contract with Spartan Combat, Cornell, and various sponsorship opportunities (recently to also include pro card appearances), but the additional $100,000 over the last two years has certainly improved things for his family.

the fund also pays $25,000 for silver and 15 for bronze.  I am of the opinion that Kyle would have taken one if not both of JB's last two world team spots, but considering his career ledger against JB to date, it does not take a degree in advanced statistics to understand the motivation to be a near lock in 18 & 19 to finish in the money.  The venture at 74 would have been a coin flip to make the team, and you can't medal if you're not in the bracket.

The gold medals up at 79 are just as shiny.  Legacy is important too, but Kyle has a chance to tackle that in Tokyo, where the medal fund increases to $250,000 for gold.  This is a lot of words to say that the term "ducking" is overly critical. I am glad to see our medal fund working, as it was intended to keep our top guys wrestling, and maybe another consequence is that it spreads our talent out in a manner that maximizes our annual medal yield.

11 hours ago, JHRoseWrestling said:

I am really surprised the Living the Dream medal fund doesn't get brought up more often.  At the world championships that pays $50,000 for gold, regardless of if it is at 74 or 79 kg.  I am sure that Kyle does well between his contract with Spartan Combat, Cornell, and various sponsorship opportunities (recently to also include pro card appearances), but the additional $100,000 over the last two years has certainly improved things for his family.

the fund also pays $25,000 for silver and 15 for bronze.  I am of the opinion that Kyle would have taken one if not both of JB's last two world team spots, but considering his career ledger against JB to date, it does not take a degree in advanced statistics to understand the motivation to be a near lock in 18 & 19 to finish in the money.  The venture at 74 would have been a coin flip to make the team, and you can't medal if you're not in the bracket.

The gold medals up at 79 are just as shiny.  Legacy is important too, but Kyle has a chance to tackle that in Tokyo, where the medal fund increases to $250,000 for gold.  This is a lot of words to say that the term "ducking" is overly critical. I am glad to see our medal fund working, as it was intended to keep our top guys wrestling, and maybe another consequence is that it spreads our talent out in a manner that maximizes our annual medal yield.

Those are very good points - I also seem to remember that Dake was a bit put out by the USAW policy that let the defending medalist at a weight wait in the finals to compete against a guy who just went through a tough (sometimes brutal) tournament to get there.  I think the change to moving the best 2 of 3 Finals match to the next day is a good move.

13 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

I think burroughs should go 86....

No. I think Nickal is the *only* person who would work him over. Others may get a win or eek out a close loss, but Nickal is a matchup nightmare. For some context...

I think that if JB/Taylor run it back as a best of 3 series in short order aka one per night over a week or one night that JB wins overall vs Taylor. I also strongly feel that JB would increase the gap over Zahid, and JB would need about 4:30 to figure out a bulked-up Ringer by the end of the match and wouldn't win by less than 2 after that. I get that it isn't a popular opinion because he is so undersized, but I do believe he would take out most of the 86 field but Nickal is the biggest landmine in my usually wrong mind.