moveurfeet32

Kolat not wasting any time

6 minutes ago, moveurfeet32 said:

Looks like he's already made a splash to the Navy Program...Beats #18 Lehigh for their 1st win in 10 years over them 21-9...He has 55 guys on roster and great facilities...I think Navy in the near future will start having some great results.

With what he was able to do with Campbell, I am sure you are right.

4 minutes ago, moveurfeet32 said:

Looks like he's already made a splash to the Navy Program...Beats #18 Lehigh for their 1st win in 10 years over them 21-9...He has 55 guys on roster and great facilities...I think Navy in the near future will start having some great results.

Kolat is a positive hire for the USNA for sure.  However, no Paetzell, Humphreys, or Wood in the lineup for Lehigh at this point.  It appears Lehigh is using the Covid year to put a lot of youngsters on the mat.

1 hour ago, moveurfeet32 said:

Wouldn't surprise me....he knows his wrestling, loves the sport and expects to win.

37 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Harder than a Princeton?

I think so. 

I feel like any top tier wrestler who can get into Princeton is choosing Princeton, Harvard, Cornell, or UVA. Maybe a couple others (Michigan, American, Brown?). 

Princeton is on the list for every single one of those. 

Attending Navy is insane. Your whole life revolves around the Navy. It takes someone who really wants to make a career in the Navy. There just aren’t that many high level recruits like that. 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

I think so. 

I feel like any top tier wrestler who can get into Princeton is choosing Princeton, Harvard, Cornell, or UVA. Maybe a couple others (Michigan, American, Brown?). 

Princeton is on the list for every single one of those. 

Attending Navy is insane. Your whole life revolves around the Navy. It takes someone who really wants to make a career in the Navy. There just aren’t that many high level recruits like that. 

For sure. Princeton says, We've got clout with the admissions office to get you into the number one ranked school in the country, great financial aid, and access to our professional network after graduation. Navy says, We will own you for nine years, it will be about us not about you that entire time. While wrestlers are more suited to the latter mentality than the average student, the former is still going to be a much stronger recruiting pitch to most.   

Any top recruit could choose the Marines and then wrestle after graduating for the Marine team and avoid any real Marine stuff. Get paid to train for the Olympics. Not a bad deal. And I doubt Princeton grads enjoy any appreciable advantage in prestige over Naval Academy grads. 

I think it can be smart to attend an elite school if you can get in. But I also think that the advantages are overstated.

A lot of professions require a graduate degree, and the name on your college diploma alone won't get you in a good graduate program.  What matters is your college performance.  Your school's reputation will provide context to your college performance, but will not substitute for it. 

For professions that do not require a graduate degree, you have two buckets.

• First, there are professions like engineering, where your actual performance in college is what matters.  Again, your school's reputation will provide context to your college performance, but will not substitute for it. 
  • Second, there are professions which simply require a college degree of some type.  For those professions, a diploma from an elite university can get your foot in the door and may make it easier for you to market yourself moving forward. But -- ultimately -- how you do once you're there is all on you. 

IMO, the Naval Academy can be a great choice. It is a well-known and high-quality school that will offer you a very respectable career afterwards.  Annapolis is also lovely, for what it's worth.

Edited by Katie

Yes, upon graduation at the academies there is a 5 year commitment, but upon completion, if one opts for a civilian job research has shown that USNA grads have the highest salaries of all institutions of higher education. After 10 years, only Harvey Mudd is ahead by a small margin for highest wages from a particular school/grad.

47 minutes ago, fullnelson said:

Yes, upon graduation at the academies there is a 5 year commitment, but upon completion, if one opts for a civilian job research has shown that USNA grads have the highest salaries of all institutions of higher education. After 10 years, only Harvey Mudd is ahead by a small margin for highest wages from a particular school/grad.

Isn't that a bit misleading?  I don't think that Navy has many fine arts or English literature graduates, which would tend to bring down the average salaries.  Compare majors across universities, and I'm guessing that there are many majors where Navy is *not* at the top.  Like computer science:  I doubt Navy beats Stanford, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, etc.

1 hour ago, klehner said:

Isn't that a bit misleading?  I don't think that Navy has many fine arts or English literature graduates, which would tend to bring down the average salaries.  Compare majors across universities, and I'm guessing that there are many majors where Navy is *not* at the top.  Like computer science:  I doubt Navy beats Stanford, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, etc.

You might be surprised. https://www.capitalgazette.com/education/naval-academy/ac-cn-naval-academy-hopper-hall-20201016-qiqzhvz7rjcgxci25mtzneqmsy-story.html

On 1/17/2021 at 3:23 PM, tigerfan said:

Any top recruit could choose the Marines and then wrestle after graduating for the Marine team and avoid any real Marine stuff. Get paid to train for the Olympics. Not a bad deal. And I doubt Princeton grads enjoy any appreciable advantage in prestige over Naval Academy grads. 

I don't think the Marines have the same kind of program like WCAP in the Army. I could be wrong but I remember that the Marine wrestlers didn't get much special treatment and still had to do regular Marine duty. It might have changed though. 

anywhere Colat goes he will have a top 10 team, he is THAT good of a coach.  Navy will be a force very soon
It would be cool if you could spell his name correctly.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, cjc007 said:

It would be cool if you could spell his name correctly.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Its a sign he has arrived as a top level coach, just as Karl ... er ... i mean Carl. 

Navy grads do exceptional well with careers despite their commitment upon graduation.  In addition, Navy is 100% paid for by the taxpayers so financial aid is not even a concern.  The students also are active duty military and paid while they are in school.  I don't know how many Ivy league wrestlers are coming out of college with zero debt and a savings account but I bet it's not many.  It is very tough academically and I believe has one of the lowest acceptance rates among colleges.