Housebuye

Mizzou Can Get to NCAAs with up to 6 undefeated guys

O’Toole has no ranked guys in the Mac or on his schedule. The Valencia match was cancelled. 

Mauller has nobody who is a threat. 

Elam has Bulsak and Marcus Coleman. I think he beats both. 

Allan Hart has Ian Parker on the schedule and a couple good guys in the MAC (Dresden Simon, Derek Span, Alex Madrigal). He could be undefeated though. those are all winnable. 

Jacques has Carr and Ruffin and Delavechio. He is probably going to take a couple losses. Only Carr though would be a shocking upset. 

Mocco has a handful of quality guys. Oliver, McNally, and Broderson could all beat him. He is right there with all of them though. 

That is 2 guys who is favorited in every match until NCAAs, 2 guys who are fighting with a couple others on their level, and 2 guys who need 1 big upset and a couple other solid wins...

That is PSU like in a normal year. They are going to be seeded ahead of all but 1 big Ten guy at each weight i think. 

2-3 guys seems fairly likely. 

19 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

O’Toole has no ranked guys in the Mac or on his schedule. The Valencia match was cancelled. 

Wittlake

Lewallen 

Ferrari

Allan Hart has Ian Parker on the schedule and a couple good guys in the MAC (Dresden Simon, Derek Span, Alex Madrigal). He could be undefeated though. those are all winnable. 

Brock

Jacques has Carr and Ruffin and Delavechio. He is probably going to take a couple losses. Only Carr though would be a shocking upset. 

Sheets 

Mocco has a handful of quality guys. Oliver, McNally, and Broderson could all beat him. He is right there with all of them though. 

Montalvo

That is 2 guys who is favorited in every match until NCAAs, 2 guys who are fighting with a couple others on their level, and 2 guys who need 1 big upset and a couple other solid wins...

That is PSU like in a normal year. They are going to be seeded ahead of all but 1 big Ten guy at each weight i think. 

ahh ... i think OSU might have a couple guys that could give them trouble.  

Edited by ionel

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

OSU isn’t in the MAC and doesn’t have a dual against Mizzou this year. 

Cowboy Challenge Feb 14 unless Mizzu has now backed/chickened out. 

BTW: I had no idea that the most storied program in NCAA wrestling history is not in the MAC, good thing i come here to read these here forums thus always learning sump'n new.   ;_;

Edited by ionel

3 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Weird. It’s not listed on wrestlestat, at least from what I saw. 

oh well. 

I still think 2 is fairly likely

pretty sure its on Mizzu & OSU schedule.

I see 1 but would put it at a maybe, course we could see some duck'n.

duckling-close-up-500315849-572917c93df7

Edited by ionel

1 hour ago, ionel said:

I’m not taking it back. Mizzou will just have to shut out OSU at whatever weights are still undefeated 

What are they going to do to account for this with seeding for NCAAs?  Several of those potentially undefeated guys would have 2, or 3 or even 4 losses if wrestling a better schedule, while Big 10 guys who wrestled a better schedule have 2 or 3 losses, all in conference.

Edited by Coachp

What are they going to do to account for this with seeding for NCAAs?  Several of those potentially undefeated guys would have 2, or 3 or even 4 losses if wrestling a better schedule, while Big 10 guys who wrestled a better schedule have 2 or 3 losses, all in conference.
They haven't tended to punish guys for weak schedules. Hence why Mizzou has had a quiet a few guys overseeded in the past (I say this as a Mizzou fan).

I don't really understand why people are implying Mizzou starters may duck OSU guys. Mizzou doesn't really have a history of that. Also there aren't many matches in there where OSU guys are absolute favorites. There are a lot of tossups and I'm sure coach Brian Smith would like his team to get some tough competition in before Nationals. Seeding is going to be a crapshoot anyways, so even if you get a high seed there's not guarantee that you won't be facing someone really good gets a lower seed than they should (like what's going to happen to a lot of the Big 10 wrestlers who are mainly competing against each other).

11 hours ago, calot said:

Feb 14 will be a 8 man bracketed tournament with the semi loser going for 3rd.Fix will return that day as well.Have a feeling we won't see everyones starters 

I was mostly kidding about ducking, thats more of a b10 thingy.  All the coaches signed up for this knowing its a very short season, with travel and b10 restriction making it difficult to schedule all the tough competition they'd like.  This is their chance to test where they are prior to Q tournaments and try to fix any deficiencies.  There's no benefit to skipping competition to save a couple seed spots if you then aren't prepared to beat those lower seeds in the tournament.  Also a chance to confirm who is the #1 going into Q tourney for weights where yet undetermined or guys coming back from covid quaranteen, or dinged up etc.

On 1/18/2021 at 5:08 AM, Crotalus said:
On 1/17/2021 at 10:44 PM, Coachp said:

They haven't tended to punish guys for weak schedules. Hence why Mizzou has had a quiet a few guys overseeded in the past (I say this as a Mizzou fan).

Thanks for the response, Crotalus!....I meant more specifically this year, because there are no regular season out of conference matches. I really haven't had much problem with how it has been done in the recent past (before Covid). They have tweaked it a bit over the years, and may need to sometime again, but it does seem to be working for the most part.

I am just wondering out loud how to compare a big 10 kid who has multiple losses, all to highly ranked Big 10 opponents, while guys in other conferences might have much better records, but haven't had to wrestle strictly Big 10 opponents.

Edited by Coachp

33 minutes ago, Coachp said:

Thanks for the response, Crotalus!....I meant more specifically this year, because there are no regular season out of conference matches. I really haven't had much problem with how it has been done in the recent past (before Covid). They have tweaked it a bit over the years, and may need to sometime again, but it does seem to be working for the most part.

I am just wondering out loud how to compare a big 10 kid who has multiple losses, all to highly ranked Big 10 opponents, while guys in other conferences might have much better records, but haven't had to wrestle strictly Big 10 opponents.

And how do you know they should be highly ranked if they didn't wrestle anyone else?  The other conferences don't get to wrestle Maryland and Indiana.  just wondering out loud   ;) 

BTW: pretty sure some b10 teams were asked to wrestle duals out of conference but presuming the b10 would not allow it.

1 hour ago, ionel said:

And how do you know they should be highly ranked if they didn't wrestle anyone else?  The other conferences don't get to wrestle Maryland and Indiana.  just wondering out loud   ;) 

BTW: pretty sure some b10 teams were asked to wrestle duals out of conference but presuming the b10 would not allow it.

There is nothing to presume.  The B1G released an outright statement saying as much. 

The only way any institution was going to touch the mat during the regular season was to only face other B1G institutions held to the same 'higher' standards and protocols. 

On 1/17/2021 at 5:07 PM, ionel said:

Looks like Mizzou won’t be attending due to the event’s proximity to MACs. 

who looks dumb now BUDDY?!!

On 1/17/2021 at 4:04 PM, Housebuye said:

The only loss since this post was Jacques vs Carr. 

Mocco pinned Broderson in under a minute 

Rocky Elam beat the guy who beat out Coleman for the starting spot. It was a good match. 

Hart will have a tough match or two at conferences. 

Mocco has 1 challenging guy at conferences. 

Rocky Elam has Bulsak, who is very solid. That is probably a toss up. 

Otoole and Mauller will dominate every match until NCAAs. 

5 starters undefeated through conferences is still very much in play. If I had to bet, I’d say 3-4 remain undefeated. It’s possible Elam, Mocco and/or Hart lose, but I doubt all 3 do. 

18 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Looks like Mizzou won’t be attending due to the event’s proximity to MACs. 

Where did you find this information?  Not doubting you...but would like to verify it.  Good friend of mine is going to have to cancel his romantic Valentines day trip to Stillwater with his wife!

Edited by fatlaz

2 minutes ago, fatlaz said:

Where did you find this information?  Not doubting you...but would like to verify it.  Good friend of mine is going to have to cancel his romantic Valentines day trip to Stillwater with his wife!

Sorry it isn’t official, so I can’t source it. I spoke with a buddy connected to Mizzou after I heard the rumor and he said it was under discussion and very likely (I don’t recall where I heard it first). I am not 100% certain it is true. 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Looks like Mizzou won’t be attending (ducking) due to the event’s proximity to MACs. 

Then ya gotta wonder if Mizzu won't be attending (ducking) NCAA due to that event's proximity to real competition.

I'd say, if so then that dumb would be on Mizzu.

mother-duck-watching-over-ten-ducklings-

Don't know about the OSU competition, but it's 12 days before MAC's, which is Mizzou's qualifier.  If any quarantines were to occur as a result of going to OSU, then they would probably miss the qualifier.  The PAC 10, Big 10, and Big 12 all have their last competitions 2 weeks or more before their conference tournaments, so they don't have the same concerns.  Mizzou has never ducked anyone, but not going to OSU could be the smartest move here.