Sign in to follow this  
crooksie26

Would Dake have been a 4 timer?

His freshman year had Nick Gallick of ISU not been injured??? I remember watching nationals that year when a unkown Dake walked away with the title and thinking that Gallick could have won. Gallick i believe was ranked #1 before his injury and had placed Third the year before and 5th the year before that. Oh well it never happened just thought i'd see what others thought.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Darrion Caldwell was also hurt the following year when Dake won at 149. I seem to remember it being speculated that Dake probably would not have won if Caldwell had wrestled. It would have been an interesting matchup to say the least. I don't think Dake has ever wrestled someone so talented with as wide open a style as Caldwell had. Would have been a fun one!

Freshman year: Dake only won because Gallick was hurt

Sophomore year: Dake only won because Caldwell was hurt

Junior year: Dake only won because St. John hadn't fully recovered from his injury

Senior year: Dake only won because Howe was hurt.

Dake really should be a 0 time champion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Darrion Caldwell was also hurt the following year when Dake won at 149. I seem to remember it being speculated that Dake probably would not have won if Caldwell had wrestled. It would have been an interesting matchup to say the least. I don't think Dake has ever wrestled someone so talented with as wide open a style as Caldwell had. Would have been a fun one!

Caldwell hurt is shoulder in the 2nd rd against Grajales that year. Caldwell was the #1 seed I think.

Dake was actually the 4-seed that year since he lost in the EIWA. And you forgot Russell's redshirt.

The larger point is that there is always someone missing. Howe, this year, was missing, byt from 174, not 165.

Dake was the 4 seed as a Sophomore. He was the one seed at 141.

I could be wrong here... But Dake is the guy who showed up all 4 years in a row, hurt or not. He wrestled everybody he was supposed to. Didn't duck, didn't injury default, didn't redshirt. He wrestled the guys in his bracket (ALL 4 of those brackets) that he was supposed to...the guys that weighed in, won, and advanced. I am sure that anybody sitting at home/work/wherever/ could second guess anybody and come up with "what ifs." Some of us aren't even 4X Forum Champions...I know I am not. I think Kyle earned all FOUR of his titles. He joined an elite group of two others and even made a special place of his own.

Dake was the 4 seed as a Sophomore. He was the one seed at 141.

Yes, but the year he might have faced Caldwell he was at 149 and a soph.

Incidentally, as far as I recall, Caldwell was not as great that year as the year before when he beat Metcalf. He missed a lot of the year with injury, perhaps the same injury that knocked him out of the tournament.

As a true freshman Dake beat Reese Humphrey in the semifinals and Montell Marion in the finals of the NCAA's. Seems like he was capable of beating great wrestlers from the get-go.

And that true freshman Dake had already lost to a very good Reese Humphrey during that regular season. So thats even more impressive to me.

Junior year: Dake only won because St. John hadn't fully recovered from his injury

Oh this thread is more than funny BigRed!

The new pages in the college wrestling record books have not even been typeset yet. But so-called wrestling fans are ALREADY plotting and calculating the EASE with which Kyle Dake established his historic mark! Essentially trying to show it really just ain’t so awesome after all!

And you know what? Had ANY announcer or commentator so much as hinted that these guys were HURT or injured all throughout Dake’s college wrestling years, this place would BLOW UP with denouncings.

Congratulations Kyle Dake! You’ve just become the FIRST 4-Time NCAA wrestling champion because everybody else got HURT!

Sheeeeshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

JC

While I think it is a legitimate question I think it also just reinforces how hard it is to be a 4 timer... and having the luck and durability to not ever get injured is a big part of that. Could he have beaten Gallick? Maybe, maybe not, but Dake was able to take the mat that year while Gallick wasn't.

There is an element of luck involved with winning one title, let alone four titles. Dake could have easily came down with a sickness or been injured or just had one bad day at the wrong time and we would be having topics asking "what if Dake won 4 titles."

I say Kyle mans up and relents that he is a weak wrestler who got lucky four times in four weak weight classes in which he wrestled and hands over his bracket boards, medals and trophies to Nick Gallick AND Kellen Russell, Darrion Caldwell, someone at 157 who wasn't able to compete and Andrew Howe. Let's face it, Dake is a chump who got lucky four times and wouldn't have been a champ once had any of those guys, including the one I cannot name, had been healthy. :roll:

Don't forget he ducked JB. Twice. 8-)

"The larger point is that there is always someone missing."

Like a winner against him in the finals.

As far as wrestling someone who is wide-open, I strongly quetion whether Caldwell racked up the bonus points like DT.

I sense some closet Cael nut-huggers (and I like Cael) who can't comprehend that Dake can compare to him.

Good point however, I believe that Dake would be able to win the NCAAs as a freshman, junior, and senior.

Only match that Dake would have trouble in is with Darrion Caldwell. Darrion is quite unpredictable wrestler who can surprise anyone with a move from nowhere.

I think Kyle would have beaten Gallick, DSJ, and Andrew Howe. Andrew Howe is the interesting one as he would be similar to Kyle Dake. So, Kyle may be able to beat him in very tight game. (Maybe 3-2?)