Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

Cornell wrestlerd

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have insight on what the Cornell guys will do after this year? Seems like the facts are as follows. 

1. Ivy League is not having sports this year. So no wrestling season for Cornell wrestlers. 

2. NCAA gives all athletes a "free year" so whethet an athlete competes this year or not does not change their eligibility. 

So this means Yianni, for example,  will have two years eligibility after this year. Is that right? My assumption is he will stick around and seek his four titles. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

Does anyone have insight on what the Cornell guys will do after this year? Seems like the facts are as follows. 

1. Ivy League is not having sports this year. So no wrestling season for Cornell wrestlers. 

2. NCAA gives all athletes a "free year" so whethet an athlete competes this year or not does not change their eligibility. 

So this means Yianni, for example,  will have two years eligibility after this year. Is that right? My assumption is he will stick around and seek his four titles. 

 

 

Nearly all the Cornell starters are not enrolled this year, thereby keeping their Ivy League eligibility intact.  Ivy rules supersede NCAA rules, in this case:  enrolled means eligible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, klehner said:

Nearly all the Cornell starters are not enrolled this year, thereby keeping their Ivy League eligibility intact.  Ivy rules supersede NCAA rules, in this case:  enrolled means eligible.

I believe the key issue with the Ivies is you can not compete in a sport after you have completed your undergraduate degree, unlike most other D1 institutions that allow you to compete while in school in post graduate courses. This leads to Ivy athletes taking time off school as many Cornell wrestlers are doing this year. A number of Ivy wrestlers have finished their undergraduate degrees and then gone to other D1 institutions to finish their athletic eligibility while in grad school.  i expect that is true in other sports also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, klehner said:

Nearly all the Cornell starters are not enrolled this year, thereby keeping their Ivy League eligibility intact.  Ivy rules supersede NCAA rules, in this case:  enrolled means eligible.

I thought the Ivy was giving the additional year anyway? (Yeah as lu pointed out the bigger issue with them is not being able to compete as a graduate student).

Regardless, yeah the “free year” only applies to those competing - I think it’s more accurate to see say THIS year is the free year.   If they’re not competing then they still maintain their normal years of eligibility.

So in theory they could have transferred and competed somewhere else this year in order to get the “extra” year.   Did anyone from the Ivy even do that? (I’m not really aware of any - according to this there was someone named Mason Reiniche that transferred from Cornell/Finger Lakes to Oregon State - https://news.theopenmat.com/college-wrestling-news/2020-ncaa-transfer-tracking-page/77351)

 

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

The only one I'm aware of transferring was Patrick Brucki.

He is off this year due to injury, though.

Any chance he makes that comeback?  Not like he'd start, anyways.

I believe Brucki is still a student at Princeton for now, he just announced that he was going to take the year off of wrestling anyway (prior to the Ivies saying they weren't wrestling) and then transfer next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

I believe the key issue with the Ivies is you can not compete in a sport after you have completed your undergraduate degree, unlike most other D1 institutions that allow you to compete while in school in post graduate courses. This leads to Ivy athletes taking time off school as many Cornell wrestlers are doing this year. A number of Ivy wrestlers have finished their undergraduate degrees and then gone to other D1 institutions to finish their athletic eligibility while in grad school.  i expect that is true in other sports also.

The other key issue is that being enrolled counts as using up eligibility.  There's no red shirt during which you are enrolled but not using eligibility.  So, for example, Yianni has only been enrolled at Cornell for two years, so he has two years of Ivy eligibility left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I thought the Ivy was giving the additional year anyway? (Yeah as lu pointed out the bigger issue with them is not being able to compete as a graduate student).

Regardless, yeah the “free year” only applies to those competing - I think it’s more accurate to see say THIS year is the free year.   If they’re not competing then they still maintain their normal years of eligibility.

So in theory they could have transferred and competed somewhere else this year in order to get the “extra” year.   Did anyone from the Ivy even do that? (I’m not really aware of any - according to this there was someone named Mason Reiniche that transferred from Cornell/Finger Lakes to Oregon State - https://news.theopenmat.com/college-wrestling-news/2020-ncaa-transfer-tracking-page/77351)

 

Mason Reiniche was never enrolled at Cornell.  And, yes, in theory any of the Cornell guys who are sitting out enrollment could have transferred (to, say, Lehigh :-) for a year of competing, then even transferred back to Cornell for next year.  Of course, Lehigh being Lehigh, his credits wouldn't have transferred with him so he wouldn't have any issue graduating before his eligibility being used up.

:-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

The only one I'm aware of transferring was Patrick Brucki.

He is off this year due to injury, though.

Any chance he makes that comeback?  Not like he'd start, anyways.

Brucki is enrolled at Princeton this year, will graduate (with that Princeton degree), then transfer to Michigan and wrestle his final NCAA year as a graduate student.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, klehner said:

Brucki is enrolled at Princeton this year, will graduate (with that Princeton degree), then transfer to Michigan and wrestle his final NCAA year as a graduate student.

He's not alone either. Another IVY guy will be doing the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

He's not alone either. Another IVY guy will be doing the same.

Who?

Doing the same as in at Princeton, going to Michigan, or just an Ivy league school going to a different D1 program as a GS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Who?

Doing the same as in at Princeton, going to Michigan, or just an Ivy league school going to a different D1 program as a GS?

Nobody at Cornell looks to be graduating this year (Koll said that Hunter Richard will be a senior next year).  All their starters (and the elite backups like Cardenas) are not enrolled.  Glancing through the Princeton and Penn rosters, I don't see any "meaningful" seniors listed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, klehner said:

Nobody at Cornell looks to be graduating this year (Koll said that Hunter Richard will be a senior next year).  All their starters (and the elite backups like Cardenas) are not enrolled.  Glancing through the Princeton and Penn rosters, I don't see any "meaningful" seniors listed.

My question was directed towards @Mphillips, because he seemed to know who.  I wasn't speculating on any specific school or person(s).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

My question was directed towards @Mphillips, because he seemed to know who.  I wasn't speculating on any specific school or person(s).

Understood.  Just trying to add (non-)information to help answer your question.  I'm sure it's a super-secret thing that us unwashed aren't privy to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, klehner said:

Understood.  Just trying to add (non-)information to help answer your question.  I'm sure it's a super-secret thing that us unwashed aren't privy to.

MP is also big on Ohio State, IIRC, so I'm hoping to get some juice from him there. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...