Gantry

Wrestlers opting out for next year

Even with the free year, I have a feeling some of these older, more beat up guys may call it a career - especially those planning to graduate in May/June. 

I'll try to keep this thread updated and when can bump it when news comes out.  Looks like both Kaid Brock and Boo Lewallen have both said that this year is their last for Oklahoma State.   Please share any more names. 

Wrestlers choosing to not take the free year for 2021-2022

• Kaid Brock - Oklahoma State
  • Luke Garner - Penn State
  • Drew Hughes - Michigan State
  • Boo Lewallen - Oklahoma State
  • Bo Pipher - Penn State
  • Jared Verkleeren  - Penn State

Wrestlers who have talked about not taking the free year for 2021-2022

• Dakota Geer -  Oklahoma State
  • Gable Steveson - Minnesota

Edited by Gantry

Just found an interview with Dakota Geer where he is a maybe for taking the extra year.  Also know Gable Steveson has said this will be his last year but that is far from confirmed.  So I decided to have a "maybe" section as well. 

13 hours ago, Gantry said:

Just found an interview with Dakota Geer where he is a maybe for taking the extra year.  Also know Gable Steveson has said this will be his last year but that is far from confirmed.  So I decided to have a "maybe" section as well. 

Has Steveson really said this is his last year?  He hasn't even won an NCAA title yet and who knows if the tournament even happens with all the craziness 

32 minutes ago, WresFan89 said:

For Steveson, next year is not an extra, he is a Junior.

Everyone gets an "extra" year regardless of what year they are in school.  Either way for my purposes it's just people who are choosing to not use all the eligibility the NCAA gives them. 

43 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Everyone gets an "extra" year regardless of what year they are in school.  Either way for my purposes it's just people who are choosing to not use all the eligibility the NCAA gives them. 

So even this guy:

Cassar_Anthony_H_18_MS_8278.jpg?width=30

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

Service Academies don't. 

7 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Military deferment is allowed, so after military obligation is complete why can't a former service academy athlete enroll in grad school and compete?

You are right, however those waivers are very rare. Athletes like Malcom Perry who go pro do occasionally get them, but it's not something the academies are keen on giving out. 

17 hours ago, klehner said:

Nor do Ivy League schools.

People are completely misunderstanding this issue as it applies to Ivies and the Service academies.  As far as the NCAA is concerned this year does not count against the eligibility of any athlete regardless of where they go to school.  The Ivy League and the Service academies have their own rules which can affect how their students are allowed to compete at their institutions.  For the Ivies this will not affect whether or not said student will be able to go to other institutions and compete as a post grad once the leave the Ivy league school.  That student eligibility will will still be extended by the extra year.   As far as the service academies in the normal course of events the student will be busy after graduation as they will be actively serving in the military.  That student will still have that extra eligibility as far as the NCAA is concerned but in will not be in a position to utilize it. 

Ivy League rules are confusing.  They are only allowed 4 years.  That is clear as day.  However - If a student withdraws from school for two semesters, they extend to a fifth year? Otherwise, why are the Cornell wrestlers withdrawing en masse?

25 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Ivy League rules are confusing.  They are only allowed 4 years.  That is clear as day.  However - If a student withdraws from school for two semesters, they extend to a fifth year? Otherwise, why are the Cornell wrestlers withdrawing en masse?

Because it isn’t a straight “time clock”. It’s based on enrollment.  In another words you aren’t in school, so the clock stops or doesn’t start until you are attending the University. NCAA rules still apply, so it’s not like they can spread out 8 semesters to allow for 8 seasons either. 

Edited by MSU158

6 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Because it isn’t a straight “time clock”. It’s based on enrollment.  In another words you aren’t in school, so the clock stops or doesn’t start until you are attending the University. NCAA rules still apply, so it’s not like they can spread out 8 semesters to allow for 8 seasons either. 

Two different clocks.  Fair enough.  I thought the fifth NCAA year would require a redshirt, which the Ivies don't allow.