Shiraz123

Olympics cancelled?

It was always iffy but it seems like a slim chance could exist if they would just go with a bargain bin options.  No fans and spread the categories of Olympic events out over several different host counties. Basically what already occurs for a World Championship of those sports every year, and you just call it the Olympic year. Then just do their best to maintain a “bubble” for the course of those events.  Sponsors and TV still get their commitment, athletes still get their shot, and with sports at a minimum I’m guessing fans will tune in at high numbers.  Sure not all countries will be able to easily send their whole squad multiple places, but it at least gives most a chance to compete in something that they may never have a shot at again.

9 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

It was always iffy but it seems like a slim chance could exist if they would just go with a bargain bin options.  No fans and spread the categories of Olympic events out over several different host counties. Basically what already occurs for a World Championship of those sports every year, and you just call it the Olympic year. Then just do their best to maintain a “bubble” for the course of those events.  Sponsors and TV still get their commitment, athletes still get their shot, and with sports at a minimum I’m guessing fans will tune in at high numbers.  Sure not all countries will be able to easily send their whole squad multiple places, but it at least gives most a chance to compete in something that they may never have a shot at again.

That make some sense but one can also see how that is of no value to Japan to spend their bid to host but really not get to host, instead manage all these new logistics with no benefit. 

20 minutes ago, ionel said:

That make some sense but one can also see how that is of no value to Japan to spend their bid to host but really not get to host, instead manage all these new logistics with no benefit. 

Well Japan was losing it anyways on what looks like their decision.  And I’d say the IOC would be in charge of coordinating the logistics with the new locations not Japan. 

NJ Dan, it is already on the schedule.

When announced I was puzzled by the redundancy of maintaining a UWW Senior World Championship in the fall of what has become an Olympic year.  I now recognize the genius in the decision, regardless of whether the Tokyo Games are pulled off, as I feel a level of comfort knowing our champion wrestlers will be honored one way or the other.

Edited by JHRoseWrestling
Typo

It was never going to happen. 11,237 athletes competed at the Olympic Games in Rio in 2016, from over 200 delegations. Easily the population of a mid sized city when the coaches, refs, facilities crews, and media are counted. Having that many people travel, live together, and return home would be criminal; even if half opted out it would threaten any progress we have made fighting the pandemic by then. My heart does break for the athletes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very misleading topic title here. Even if the article is true, and everyone on the record has strongly denied it, the article doesn't say the Olympics are canceled.

https://apnews.com/article/yoshihide-suga-thomas-bach-tokyo-sports-asia-coronavirus-pandemic-6f9df2d9985d9ec9167cb615c84d3ac9

Managu Sakai, deputy chief cabinet secretary: "There is no such fact and we clearly deny (the report)."

IOC President Thomas Bach: "We have at this moment, no reason whatsoever to believe that the Olympic Games in Tokyo will not open on the 23rd of July in the Olympic stadium in Tokyo."

"Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike told her regular news conference on Friday that she has 'never heard such a thing.' She even suggested action against the British newspaper."

'Perhaps we should file a protest,' she said."

This doesn't mean they will or won't eventually be canceled, just that they are still on as of today and the people involved are planning as if that will remain true.

8 minutes ago, gowrestle said:

Japanese citizens don’t want it. Historically Japan has been a very secluded country and is not welcoming of other cultures. Add, Covid, just don’t see Olympics moving forward. 

I could see that but I feel like somewhere like the US that already has the infrastructure in place could take them.

I just don’t really see why they would be cancelled as a whole.  We have 6 months until they’re supposed to start, a vaccine, ample testing, and sports currently happening at all levels.  Heck by that point I think they should be able to have some fans just as we do for some sports currently.

The only extra cost I could see would be maybe you could have a week or so quarantine before and after.

The title of this thread needs to be altered.  @Shiraz123 - you are better than that.

A link above says that athletes will be encouraged to be vaccinated but not required.  

Why not require all attendees to be vaccinated?  50,000 doses is a drop in the bucket.  Seems like the IOC can help coordinate the process.

There will be hiccups, and that will suck.  But Japan and the teams will feel better about the event.

9 minutes ago, nom said:

The title of this thread needs to be altered.  @Shiraz123 - you are better than that.

A link above says that athletes will be encouraged to be vaccinated but not required.  

Why not require all attendees to be vaccinated?  50,000 doses is a drop in the bucket.  Seems like the IOC can help coordinate the process.

There will be hiccups, and that will suck.  But Japan and the teams will feel better about the event.

I was thinking 40,000 doses might be needed if you go bare bones (no fans, no families, no unneeded IOC members), but also think 50,000 is not a big deal.

If it doesn't happen, Japan is in trouble financially, the IOC could be in trouble financially... and Japan will never host another Olympics again.

Japanese citizens don’t want it. Historically Japan has been a very secluded country and is not welcoming of other cultures. Add, Covid, just don’t see Olympics moving forward. 

This year will be the fourth time Japan has hosted the Olympics.

19 minutes ago, IronChef said:

This year will be the fourth time Japan has hosted the Olympics.

I saw the article claimed 80% of the country didn't want it.   I was assuming they were mostly concerned about the visitors bringing covid with them

Edited by 1032004

I have a hard time believing the Olympics will be cancelled or postponed again due to Covid when vaccines are available.  By May all participating countries should have their delegations finalized.  The IOC should just make it mandatory that all members of the delegations be vaccinated prior to going to Japan.   The IOC or Japan could decide to have no fans in attendance or to limit fans for social distancing purposes.  However the better solution would be to require that all people traveling to Japan for the Olympics be vaccinated.  They could also insist that those within Japan who want to attend Olympic events also show proof of vaccination.  I think the talk of cancellation is very overblown.

2 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I have a hard time believing the Olympics will be cancelled or postponed again due to Covid when vaccines are available.  By May all participating countries should have their delegations finalized.  The IOC should just make it mandatory that all members of the delegations be vaccinated prior to going to Japan.   The IOC or Japan could decide to have no fans in attendance or to limit fans for social distancing purposes.  However the better solution would be to require that all people traveling to Japan for the Olympics be vaccinated.  They could also insist that those within Japan who want to attend Olympic events also show proof of vaccination.  I think the talk of cancellation is very overblown.

So are you saying athletes and folks rich enough to travel to the Olympics should be able to jump ahead in the vaccination line?  You hang out with Charles Barkley much?  ;)

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

So are you saying athletes and folks rich enough to travel to the Olympics should be able to jump ahead in the vaccination line?  You hang out with Charles Barkley much?  ;)

Committing vaccinations to all delegation members from all countries is a no brainer.  As far as vaccinating those who have tickets to attend that may depend on what progress has been made on overall vaccinations by June.  If the vast majority of high risk people and health care workers have been vaccinated then yes all kinds of special cases for people traveling could be moved into a priority group.  The spectators are an after thought though.  One article stated that the IOC was already thinking of running it without spectators.  

This is a world unifying event.  Something to lift us up out of the doldrums.  Something to cheer about.  Something to rally around.

I’m sure that 50k or so vaccines could be prioritized by June for the athletes and some limited support staff.  Heck, make it 75k or 100k given support staff and 2 doses per person.

If all high risk people are vaccinated then what is the serious risk than???  Isn't this about protecting the high risk of death individuals who fall in the 1a and 1b phases of the vaccine rollout?  After that, sure we want everyone else to get vaccinated but isn't the most serious risks mitigated...i.e., the people the virus is most deadly too will have already been vaccinated, but in reality are we worried about someone getting it and doesn't feel good for a few days?  Is that worth jeopardizing all those athletes dreams?  Japan losing out on all the money?

If all high risk people are vaccinated then what is the serious risk than???  Isn't this about protecting the high risk of death individuals who fall in the 1a and 1b phases of the vaccine rollout?  After that, sure we want everyone else to get vaccinated but isn't the most serious risks mitigated...i.e., the people the virus is most deadly too will have already been vaccinated, but in reality are we worried about someone getting it and doesn't feel good for a few days?  Is that worth jeopardizing all those athletes dreams?  Japan losing out on all the money?

I fear getting into this here, but the short answer is no, it’s not enough to just get the vulnerable vaccinated.

Couple reasons:
1) a lot of the most vulnerable, such as people with chronic and immunocompromised, can’t be vaccinated.
2) we are obviously trying to avoid deaths, but Covid has been shown to cause lasting damage to multiple organ systems, especially heart and lungs, even in the most elite athletes. Long term individual and social cost is extremely high.
3) more cases -> more chances for mutations -> potentially less effective vaccines and treatments -> longer pandemic.

Now, the question of what is or is not “worth it” isn’t a scientific one necessarily, but the idea that if someone doesn’t die it’s all gravy, even if they can’t breathe for two weeks and have permanently scarred organs, seems misguided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk