jerseywrestling

Iowa vs Minnesota on BTN Friday, January 22, 2021

Rough looking night for the Gophers but 2 true freshman in Sparks and Salazar really showed something.  

Hawks look really good.

When Brayton Lee had the leg up in the air did he think he was wrestling freestyle?  He almost intentionally ran it straight to the edge.

2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Better? He got majored this time. He wrestled worse against him. 

I think that was posted during the second period when Cass actually wrestled him really well and Gable looked to be slowing down a bit. He found a new gear in the third and blew it open, but until that final minute or so, it was the best Cass had wrestled him. I think it arguably still was. The score was worse, but Gable's output compared to the first two matches was way up. Cass defended and wrestled out of a bunch of positions he didn't last year. Last year, Gable scored at will (and just chose not to do it that often). This year he scored more, but also failed to score a bunch of times. 

The reality is, as good as Cass is, the talent gap here is ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

I think that was posted during the second period when Cass actually wrestled him really well and Gable looked to be slowing down a bit. He found a new gear in the third and blew it open, but until that final minute or so, it was the best Cass had wrestled him. I think it arguably still was. The score was worse, but Gable's output compared to the first two matches was way up. Cass defended and wrestled out of a bunch of positions he didn't last year. Last year, Gable scored at will (and just chose not to do it that often). This year he scored more, but also failed to score a bunch of times. 

The reality is, as good as Cass is, the talent gap here is ridiculous.

This is a very fair take on that match, imo. I think Cass wrestled as well as he could in period 2, but it took the starch out of him at the same time so not too sure about better as much as packing all he had to give into one good period. You are spot on about the gap between the two. A 100 percent Kerkvliet will also probably have his way with Cass just because Cass can't handle that kind of speed and athletic ability. How many can? 

12 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

This is a very fair take on that match, imo. I think Cass wrestled as well as he could in period 2, but it took the starch out of him at the same time so not too sure about better as much as packing all he had to give into one good period. You are spot on about the gap between the two. A 100 percent Kerkvliet will also probably have his way with Cass just because Cass can't handle that kind of speed and athletic ability. How many can? 

Lol, can't pass up an opportunity insert a PSU guy. I do agree though. Just a little worried about Kerk's durability. 3 serious knee injuries can't be good for a heavyweight who relies on speed.

3 hours ago, headshuck said:

I responded to someone who said it was all Eggum’s fault. I merely suggested Cael’s selfishness was a bigger factor in the decline of the program and other national contenders.

Cael is a bigger factor in the program's decline than the Head Coach of the team?   That is a mighty reach.  

Kind of sad how MN has circled the drain the last several years...  They used to be consistent title contenders, then at least a solid team with multiple AAs. Now they have... Gable?  Maybe Brayton Lee?  MN has enough highschool talent that they'll be able to grab one or two stars, but I remember 10 years ago when this match would have been a nailbiter between two top teams instead of an absolute blowout that was a forgone conclusion before anyone took the mat.
I was reading the match notes and MN scored ONE takedown other than Gable's match.  That's some Maryland level bad right there.
Not sure if Eggum is 100% to blame or not.  It felt like even towards the end of the jRob years things were trending downhill, but Eggum certainly hasn't been able to turn the program around.

The nadir of the MN program was the loss at home to Indiana while J Rob was still coach. Tonight was a total ass kicking but Iowa frankly brought a squad full of asskickers. They didn’t just get the first takedowns they got all of the takedowns. They also were the guys getting the short time points at the end of the periods.
MN fans can take solace in sound performances from freshman against seniors who will contend for individual titles this year. Salazar also looked good. In my opinion the coaching staff is top tier and are making good recruiting decisions and adapting to the transfer economy. MN is a long way from the Iowa/PSU level but trending in right direction.

6 hours ago, lost said:

I was reading the match notes and MN scored ONE takedown other than Gable's match.  That's some Maryland level bad right there.

The takedown stat is more a testament to how good Iowa is, especially on their feet.  Nebraska (#6) has a pretty solid squad this year and they only scored 5 total takedowns against Iowa in a 31-6 loss last week.  Most of these takedowns were by Labriola against Iowa's backup at 174.  If Kemerer wrestles in that dual they beat the Huskers even worse than they beat MN last night.

8 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Lol, can't pass up an opportunity insert a PSU guy. I do agree though. Just a little worried about Kerk's durability. 3 serious knee injuries can't be good for a heavyweight who relies on speed.

Not 3 knee injuries.

10 hours ago, Class said:

Rough looking night for the Gophers but 2 true freshman in Sparks and Salazar really showed something.  

Salazar had one of the most promising ass-kickings I’ve seen in a while. It’s great to see his effort from a true frosh that isn’t a blue chipper expecting to contend for a high podium spot from day one. Hope he builds on that fearlessness throughout the season.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Salazar had one of the most promising ass-kickings I’ve seen in a while. It’s great to see his effort from a true frosh that isn’t a blue chipper expecting to contend for a high podium spot from day one. Hope he builds on that fearlessness throughout the season.

Yeah, he trailed 8-6 but had :56 seconds advantage on the riding time clock late in the 3rd.  He took a lot of shots in the last 20 seconds, knowing that a takedown with a few seconds on the clock could give him a one point win.  Very solid effort.

11 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Carl will just bring in another heavyweight if Kerk can’t cut it.

On 1/22/2021 at 8:02 PM, VakAttack said:

Cass is  would be better suited trying to utilize his upperbody stuff.  He doesn't have the quickness to score on leg attacks.

And remember Gable got stuck twice by Khasanboy Rakhimov with upperbody stuff although he is now suspended for doping.

4 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

And remember Gable got stuck twice by Khasanboy Rakhimov with upperbody stuff although he is now suspended for doping.

Steveson got stuck when he instead of backing out, he attempted an inside trip with double unders. I think it’s tangentially related but to me it spoke more to his desire to be slick as the incoming frosh goat and expected his opponents to do what he wants. 

7 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

He decided to stay home and wrestle for Rutgers.

Carl will find a way, didn't he already do the first half of that trade with Rutgers?

PS: Carl focuses on the big plan and the long game.

Edited by ionel