Perry

The Fall of Minnesota

How did such a good program fall to such a low level so quickly? These guys were contending for national titles just a few years ago and now would be lucky to end this season with 2 AAs (granted one has a great shot at being a champion). How did this happen and who is to blame? Was it the fault of thorn, Lizak, early and krone? J Rob for not having this better under control at the end of his reign? Eggum for being at the helm during the decline? Will the administration consider a new head coach or are they just happy to be scandal free after the drug incident? Sad to see the Golden rodents fighting just to stay in the top 20. 

2 hours ago, Perry said:

These guys were contending for national titles just a few years ago

Really.  Specifically, what season “just a few years ago” were they contending for a National Title ?  Maybe I missed something.

They just got dominated by the prohibitive favorite Iowa, but how does that suddenly make them terrible ?  Very few teams stack up favorably with the Hawks as they are loaded.

Are they the same consistent Top 10 Program that they were under JRob ?  No, but still a solid Program with some quality wrestlers.

IMO,  not a fair assessment of the Gophers & Eggum.  And I am NOT a Minny fan.

Edited by Show_Me

I actually thought they looked decent.  Iowa is just crazy good.   Minnesota is also young - looks like Dryden is their only senior.

-Gable majored Cassioppi which he couldn't do last year

-True freshman Sparks could be a good one

-I'd say Salazar, Polanco and Allar all showed some promise too

Brayton Lee was probably the only disappointing one and he lost a 1 point match to a guy ranked 1 spot below him (although he probably should have lost in regulation).

125 McKee (So) looked bad against Cronin and good against Foley.  Did what could be expected against Lee and Sandoval.  Next weekend will be telling when he has Schroder and Aguilar.  Should qualify for NCAA’s

133 Dryden (Sr) I think he will qualify for NCAA’s and obviously can be a matchup problem with his length.

141 Polanco (Fr) only had 3 matches in his true freshman season before having to shut it down because of injury.  2x CA state placer with upside.  2-2 with losses to Red and Eierman.  I’m interested to see what he looks like against Filius next weekend.

149 Blockhus (So). Up a weight from 141 where he was the 13 seed going into NCAA’s last season.  Has only been on the UM campus for a short time since transferring from UNI.  Will qualify for NCAA’s.

157 Lee (So). Dropped a 1 point match to Young, match can clearly go the other way.  I think his conditioning serves him better in tournaments.  Also up a weight and should get a better feel for 157 as the season continues.  Should have a good one with Coleman next weekend.  Will qualify, possible AA.

165 Sparks (True Fr) Only started wrestling between 8th and 9th grade.  Hammered Cael Valencia in CA state finals last season.  Lost by decision to the Bull in his 4th collegiate match after posting 2 top 20 wins in his first 3.  Kid has a chance to be special.  

174 Allar (Jr) has missed a lot of time with injuries his first 3 seasons.  Up a weight this year.  Has 2 top five losses where he’s been outclassed but definitely not afraid to engage and fire off his own attacks.  Has a decent win over Hughes, where he was able to get off bottom against him.  Should qualify for NCAA’s.

184 Salazar (True Fr). Was in the match late with Brands in his 3rd collegiate match.  Can already wrestle in all 3 positions, has a good cross wrist series that he was close to loading Nelson up with.  Has a chance to be real good.

197 Joles (So) I’ve seen nothing yet that gives me hope that Joles will be a competitive B1G 197.  I don’t understand not being able to recruit a top level guy here with Zillmer, Pfarr, Nelson and Gable as training partners and Brandvold on staff. 

285 Steveson (285) Keeps getting better.  

I’d suspect that McKee will move up to 133 next year with Matthew Ramos taking over 125.

AAron Nagao, 2x CA state champ is gray shirting and should come in and compete for 141.

There is some quality depth in the middleweights with Carlson, Thomas and Fernandes.  Unfortunately I think they are all natural 157’s which is where Lee will be for the remainder of his career. 

Troy Spratley and Bennett Tabor are couple of good recruits in the pipeline.

They placed second as recently as 2014 losing to Penn state by only 5 or so points that year. J rob was let go one season after this and replaced just before the 2016 season began. Prior to that he had many top 4 finishes and always had multiple AAs every year (including the only 10x AA team still). This year they have one lock at AA and one other who has a shot at making the podium. That is a massive decline since the changing of the garb. 

Iowa is as dominant as a team top to bottom as we have seen(maybe ever?) But Minnesota got ONE takedown from 125 to 197. That's terrible, bordering on Maryland levels of performance. If you can't score an offensive point I really don't think I'd consider that "showing promise" (it's a terrible benchmark at the very least). That is not what Minnesota wrestling has been about for nearly 2 decades prior to eggum taking over. Your memories are apparently very short if you can't see how stark the difference between the eggum years and j rob years are.

Edited by Perry

Against Iowa they started two true freshman, one redshirt freshman, four sophomores, a junior who had wrestled maybe ten matches in all his previous years combined due to surgeries (Allar), Gable who is a junior that didn’t redshirt, and a “senior” who has less than a full season of D1 experience.

They could have almost this exact same lineup three years from now, I’m interested to see how they do then.

I also think it’s funny that someone called them “Maryland level bad” a week after they beat Maryland 48-0 lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The recent trend of top recruits going to one of the "super" teams has made being a "contender" mean something different.  RTC's have also been a game changer.  Kids have tough choices to make if they have the talent to garner the choices.   The trend has shifted to Iowa.  Spencer Lee is a dynamic, likeable kid who has helped to paint Iowa back into the status of a desirable destination for HS Aces.  Also, maybe kids like the idea to trying to take down PSU, I know I do.  

I look forward to seeing things next year when really everyone can return.  The brackets at NCAA's could be insanely deep in quality.  

49 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

I also think it’s funny that someone called them “Maryland level bad” a week after they beat Maryland 48-0 lol.

No, Minnesota has just fallen that hard in one week. It couldnt be that Iowa is that good right now. It couldnt be.

31 minutes ago, headshuck said:

I’m still blaming it on Cael. He killed Minnesota’s dual advantage, convinced Mark Hall to renege on his commitment to the Gophers and probably sent in an undercover Xanax dealer to the dormitory.

Don't forget that Carl stole jRob's Camp for Pay plan and expanded it into his multi-million dollar Regional Treachery Center. 

Carl has a plan!

Other than Gable (and I guess Kerk but I wouldn’t count him since they had Gable), who are the top guys that went to HS in Minnesota right now?  Have they not gotten any that they thought they had a chance at?

Edited by 1032004

44 minutes ago, headshuck said:

I’m still blaming it on Cael. He killed Minnesota’s dual advantage, convinced Mark Hall to renege on his commitment to the Gophers and probably sent in an undercover Xanax dealer to the dormitory.

Well, the dealer was from Pennsylvania. And here you thought his nickname came from his wrasslin skills. 

PSU and Michy and all the other Covid batallions ought to take a pass this year. Iowa can score 200 points at a totally watered down NCAA and proclaim themselves the greatest of all time, then bring everyone back next year so PSU can set things right again. Ha!

25 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

PSU and Michy and all the other Covid batallions ought to take a pass this year. Iowa can score 200 points at a totally watered down NCAA and proclaim themselves the greatest of all time, then bring everyone back next year so PSU can set things right again. Ha!

Iowa getting a title this year is justice for not getting it last year. 

Other than Gable (and I guess Kerk but I wouldn’t count him since they had Gable), who are the top guys that went to HS in Minnesota right now?  Have they not gotten any that they thought they had a chance at?

A couple that come to mind are Taylor Venz, Peyton Robb, Mark Hall, Ryan Sokol, Brady Berge, and Patrick Kennedy.

Getting Bennett Tabor from Simley, MN is a good get for 2021, and Hunter Lyden out of Stillwater, MN 2022.

The one that I will be saying “Fire Eggum” if they don’t get is Gavin Nelson of Simley MN class of 2023. He’s a top 10 p4p type kid in their backyard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for noting sparks who I did overlook a little, he will likely be very talented with a little more experience. The Maryland comment was made tongue in cheek but thanks for calling me on it all the same lol

As a fan it's been sad to watch... we can make excuses or talk about how good Iowa is, but the reality is that 2007-2015 we were championship caliber and the program hasn't gone anywhere but down since then.

No, we aren't actually Maryland level bad, thank god.  But I don't think people are upset that we aren't right there with Iowa. It's more that we aren't there  with Nebraska/Michigan/etc.  We're probably near the bottom of tier 2 in the big ten right now after over a decade of being on top of tier 1.  An expected value of 1.5 AAs (Gable and maybe lee) is a long ways off of the 5-6 we got routinely back in the day.  I think Eggum isn't incompetent but he's no Jrob, and the program can't compete with others on things like RTC, training center, training partners, etc.

I'm not confident MN would bring in someone better than eggum so I'm not even sure if getting rid of him is the best move.  They need better recruiting, that is for sure though.

Edited by lost

9 minutes ago, lost said:

I'm not confident MN would bring in someone better than eggum so I'm not even sure if getting rid of him is the best move.  They need better recruiting, that is for sure though.

Idk I think if they went out and got Damian Hahn and gave him the resources he needed he could bring them back to the top 10 pretty quick