Jump to content
Perry

The Fall of Minnesota

Recommended Posts

It’s pretty sad. Obviously there’s a lot of factors that led to this.
 

I think Eggum is probably a good and nice guy, but doesn’t have the best personality to bring in top recruits. Especially if they’re not from the midwest. I think their wrestling style hasn’t adapted much since the early 2000s whereas other more successful programs have. They’ve been bad on bottom for years. I think they need to branch out for their coaching staff for different perspectives. 4 out of 5 of their listed coaches are all former Gophers, and the only one that isn’t pretty much wrestled with the same style. I’d love to see them go after a big young name from outside the program.

If Eggum can’t do that then it’s time for him to go. He’s had plenty of time to recover from the scandal, but hasn’t done much. I don’t think anyone believes Bobby/Gable would’ve went there if they didn’t live 30 minutes away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, headshuck said:

I’m still blaming it on Cael. He killed Minnesota’s dual advantage, convinced Mark Hall to renege on his commitment to the Gophers and probably sent in an undercover Xanax dealer to the dormitory.

The man will stop at nothing to win. Shameful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all the way this is leaning, they are STILL a top 10ish type team under Eggum.   Remember, they placed 17 JRob’s last season. 

Under Eggum:

2017: 7th

2018: 17th

2019: 8th

2020: they were seeded for about a stock 45 pts which is usually good for about 8-12. 
2021:  they were ranked 11 going into the Iowa dual. 
 

Are they a national title contender? No. Are they still top 10ish?  Absolutely. With the way the RTC’s have changed the landscape,  OkState and Missouri are about the only programs that have somehow still stayed competitive with PSU, tOSU, Iowa, Cornell and now a waking giant in UOfM.  Add on an NCState squad that is getting there and Minnesota is still pretty good sitting just outside those 8 rising teams. 
 

edited to add: Man this thread made me think how good Brian Smith is. 

Edited by MSU158

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

For all the way this is leaning, they are STILL a top 10ish type team under Eggum.

I forgot, how many top 10 programs are there and if you canned Eggum which top 5 coach are you going to steal away or who is that unknown automatic top 5 coach that no one has discovered? ;_;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ionel said:

I forgot, how many top 10 programs are there and if you canned Eggum which top 5 coach are you going to steal away or who is that unknown automatic top 5 coach that no one has discovered? ;_;

Completely agree. The top coaches aren’t leaving where they are since they are in greater situations. So, you would need a huge young, but inexperienced name like a Burroughs, Dake or Taylor to step in and give recruiting a massive boost.
 

Like has been said on here, the first paramount step would be to keep all the instate talent, since it hasn’t been happening.  Like PSU and tOSU recruiting their own rich backyard makes it so much easier to create depth in your roster. Now, Minnesota isn’t nearly as rich as those 2 states, but they are a top 10 and deep enough so they wouldn’t have to be fighting so hard for national talent every year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lost said:

As a fan it's been sad to watch... we can make excuses or talk about how good Iowa is, but the reality is that 2007-2015 we were championship caliber and the program hasn't gone anywhere but down since then.

No, we aren't actually Maryland level bad, thank god.  But I don't think people are upset that we aren't right there with Iowa. It's more that we aren't there  with Nebraska/Michigan/etc.  We're probably near the bottom of tier 2 in the big ten right now after over a decade of being on top of tier 1.  An expected value of 1.5 AAs (Gable and maybe lee)

 

If you’re setting their over/under of AA’s at 1.5 I’d definitely take the over 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They simply can’t recruit the wrestlers needed to compete. #facts

They make all the excuses in the world on the guillotine, but the team simply hasn’t achieved squat under Eggum.

I mean, even Gable has under achieved. I highly doubt he loses to Caesar salad if the coaching situation is reversed. Actually, I guarantee he don’t.
 

They play favorites. Joles should never see the mat again at 197. He’s had enough chances and is not good enough. Zero upside.  Webster is a 6th year senior that can’t even crack the top 20, Allar is another guy that seems like he’s been around for ever and he don’t look very promising. Little McKee is average but I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if he never AA. 

They got a few young promising wrestlers and few solid recruits coming in. The 2022 class is the make or break class for Eggum. If he can’t land the top talent in MN and maybe sneak in a Chittum, he needs to be sent packing. PERIOD!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gopher82 said:

They simply can’t recruit the wrestlers needed to compete. #facts

They make all the excuses in the world on the guillotine, but the team simply hasn’t achieved squat under Eggum.

I mean, even Gable has under achieved. I highly doubt he loses to Caesar salad if the coaching situation is reversed. Actually, I guarantee he don’t.
 

They play favorites. Joles should never see the mat again at 197. He’s had enough chances and is not good enough. Zero upside.  Webster is a 6th year senior that can’t even crack the top 20, Allar is another guy that seems like he’s been around for ever and he don’t look very promising. Little McKee is average but I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if he never AA. 

They got a few young promising wrestlers and few solid recruits coming in. The 2022 class is the make or break class for Eggum. If he can’t land the top talent in MN and maybe sneak in a Chittum, he needs to be sent packing. PERIOD!

I am as high on Stevenson’s skills as anyone. But, there is no way that you can say a different coach makes a true freshman GUARANTEED to win over a 5th year Sophomore of that caliber wrestling at PSU.  Gable simply got big brothered and I seriously doubt anyone short of Sanderson gets Gable both of those matches. 
 

Gable matured soooo much, both physically and mentally, from his 1st to 2nd seasons. That is why so few guys wrestled as true freshman until recently. 
 

You can send Mr. Eggum packing, but be careful what you wish for. There aren’t that many coaches that would do better and most of them aren’t leaving to got to Minnesota. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gopher82 said:

They simply can’t recruit the wrestlers needed to compete. #facts

They make all the excuses in the world on the guillotine, but the team simply hasn’t achieved squat under Eggum.

I mean, even Gable has under achieved. I highly doubt he loses to Caesar salad if the coaching situation is reversed. Actually, I guarantee he don’t.
 

What do you mean reversed?  You think Minnesota should hire Cael?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gopher82 said:

They simply can’t recruit the wrestlers needed to compete. #facts

They make all the excuses in the world on the guillotine, but the team simply hasn’t achieved squat under Eggum.

I mean, even Gable has under achieved. I highly doubt he loses to Caesar salad if the coaching situation is reversed. Actually, I guarantee he don’t.
 

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

What do you mean reversed?  You think Minnesota should hire Cael?

 

I believe the more accurate translation would be that in regards to Steveson vs Cassar the Cael coached wrestler wins no matter what. Probably true for a lot of match ups. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

 

I believe the more accurate translation would be that in regards to Steveson vs Cassar the Cael coached wrestler wins no matter what. Probably true for a lot of match ups. 

How about the Andrew Long vs Johnny Law matchup?  Boom!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...