Sign in to follow this  
tigerfan

Is a season necessary?

With the ongoing cancellations and abbreviated schedules, this year might provide some insight into whether wrestling a season’s worth of matches is beneficial or prohibitive to maximum performance at qualifying and championship tournaments. Mizzou has wrestled 9 dual meets already, while other top programs have less than half of that, or less even. Will PSU perform as expected, better, or worse if they have less than 10 matches headed into NCAA’s? 

One of the arguments against letting other divisions compete in the D1 tourney was that they didn’t have the grind of weekly D1 matches all season and therefore enjoyed somewhat of an advantage for the final weekend. 

Can any worthwhile inferences be drawn from this truncated season? It will be interesting to see if lower ranked guys benefit from wrestling many more matches compared to higher ranked guys who have only a handful of matches. 

On 1/24/2021 at 9:56 AM, tigerfan said:

My Lord, I meant necessary to produce optimal performance at NCAA’s, not necessary because we all love wrestling and would miss it. 

Yeah but my needs trump any existential competition theories. 

I rarely post here, but this particular topic interests me greatly.  Does Ohio State beat Clemson if they grind through a full regular season? My bet is that we long ago moved past the optimal balance between competition and practice in most sports in the US with one caveat. Competitions help level the playing field for poorly coached teams. 50 matches a year does make kids better.  And it can do so regardless of a coaches abilities.  But I bet a great coach with a year long plan to train and develop without the interruption of a weekly competition schedule can do more with less.

Edited by Red53

Mizzou has gone with the less is more philosophy recently. Only backups and redshirts typically compete in opens and they no longer go to a big midseason tourney (Scuffle, Midlands). They do go to the dual event in Florida, but even this event is in keeping with their strategy. They can use backups when needed and the 6 or 7 match wrestleback grinder isn't in play.  Overall, they wrestle mostly a dual schedule within the MAC with some tough out of conference opponents mixed in. Is it working? Hard to say. They have been successful for a pretty long time now, so results are up to interpretation. As a fan, I loved seeing how they matched up in the big midseason events, but it's hard to question Brian Smith's judgment at this point. Dude has proven he might have a clue.