Perry

Rivera vs Eirmann vs Woods

These seem to be the top 3 of 141 this year will Nick Lee allegedly taking an Olympic RS. How do you see this going? Pretty interesting style match ups. Eirmann and woods are phenomenal scramblers. Rivera is a special talent. Imagone if Lee and Yanni were wrestling.. this may have been the best weight come ncaas if so. Demas is the next tier down and is always dangerous. Excited to see some of these guys throw down..

141 will be an asterisk in the forum history books with Yianni sitting and now possibly Lee focusing on the olympics is popping up. If you look at the rest of the field I mean... sure, Eierman beat Yianni at a holiday tourney frosh year but is anyone not from Iowa or Missouri picking him again at this point? Would anyone realistically pick the field vs. Lee+Yianni?

141 will be an asterisk in the forum history books with Yianni sitting and now possibly Lee focusing on the olympics is popping up. If you look at the rest of the field I mean... sure, Eierman beat Yianni at a holiday tourney frosh year but is anyone not from Iowa or Missouri picking him again at this point? Would anyone realistically pick the field vs. Lee+Yianni?
Definitely not an asterisk. This happens all the time. Nobody gives, say, Chris Bono an asterisk. Plus no guarantee Yianni would be at 141, many think he'd be at 149.

What's this about Lee though? I thought he was in.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Definitely not an asterisk. This happens all the time. Nobody gives, say, Chris Bono an asterisk. Plus no guarantee Yianni would be at 141, many think he'd be at 149.

...and Woods MIA today as well as in the transfer portal. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

I also thought 49 was a foregone conclusion for Yianni, but with both front-runners out it lends credence to the asterisk. 

Regarding Lee- rumors are flying and you know how that goes. fwiw I doubt Lee sits or he would not have certified but who knows for certain? I personally hope he goes for OTT and skips folk because I think he is a sleeping giant and his career potential is medaling in my humble opinion (please beware my opinion is often wrong)

Edited by bnwtwg
formatting

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

This happens every Olympic cycle.  I looked through the record books and didn't see any asterisks from previous quads.   :)

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

I also thought 49 was a foregone conclusion for Yianni, but with both front-runners out it lends credence to the asterisk. 

Regarding Lee- rumors are flying and you know how that goes. fwiw I doubt Lee sits or he would not have certified but who knows for certain? I personally hope he goes for OTT and skips folk because I think he is a sleeping giant and his career potential is medaling in my humble opinion (please beware my opinion is often wrong)

Completely disagree on the asterisk.  Also, Eierman has three NCAA placements:  5th, 4th, and 3rd.  Lee's highest career placement so far is 5th, though I know most of us believe he would have been top 2 last season.  Why is he somehow affecting the view of the title this season for whomever wins it?

7 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Completely disagree on the asterisk.  Also, Eierman has three NCAA placements:  5th, 4th, and 3rd.  Lee's highest career placement so far is 5th, though I know most of us believe he would have been top 2 last season.  Why is he somehow affecting the view of the title this season for whomever wins it?

His complete dominance of the 141lb weight class last season, aside for Pletcher.  Also his 10-6 victory 9ver Eierman has a lot to so with it to.  It was 10-6, but he was up 8-0 wirh a little over a minute to go.

Add in that at the same tournament Eierman lost in the wrestlebacks to Molinaro 8-2 and Nick Lee techfalled Molinaro 10-0 and there you have the reasoning behind why he is so 'in' the conversation.

I also think this asterisk thing is silly.

If O'Toole or Deakin win 165 will they have an asterisk?  They should be at 157 anyways and since Massa and Griffith are going 174 rather than their natural weight class of 165?

That is how silly this asterisk crap sounds.

Last year's NC should since they weren't competed.  This year's should if they get cancelled too.  Those are the only reasons that make sense.

If a title was that important to Johnny D or PGlory or any other toon who had their season cancelled by governing bodies other than the NCAA they had the option to transfer and compete immediately.  They chose not to.

I will be a bit surprised if Nick Lee does not compete at NCAAs this year.  Cael stated at the PSU media day that they were all in this year.  I believe that he thinks they can knock off Iowa this year with his young but uber talented crew.  Sitting Nick Lee would definitely throw a wrench into those plans.  The Kerk situation is outside his control but hopefully he can recover in time for Big 10s.  

6 hours ago, nhs67 said:

His complete dominance of the 141lb weight class last season, aside for Pletcher.  Also his 10-6 victory 9ver Eierman has a lot to so with it to.  It was 10-6, but he was up 8-0 wirh a little over a minute to go.

Add in that at the same tournament Eierman lost in the wrestlebacks to Molinaro 8-2 and Nick Lee techfalled Molinaro 10-0 and there you have the reasoning behind why he is so 'in' the conversation.

When citing to freestyle results, you should make that clear. Though you may consider freestyle results to be a good proxy for folk, many do not. The results you note above are misleading.

19 hours ago, Perry said:

These seem to be the top 3 of 141 this year will Nick Lee allegedly taking an Olympic RS. How do you see this going? Pretty interesting style match ups. Eirmann and woods are phenomenal scramblers. Rivera is a special talent. Imagone if Lee and Yanni were wrestling.. this may have been the best weight come ncaas if so. Demas is the next tier down and is always dangerous. Excited to see some of these guys throw down..

Why is Demas a tier down? I haven't seen him wrestle this year yet - did he lose or not look good? Last time I saw him, he was giving Yianni all he could handle.

33 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Why is Demas a tier down? I haven't seen him wrestle this year yet - did he lose or not look good? Last time I saw him, he was giving Yianni all he could handle.

He did just drop a close match to Parker ISU -  great match well worth checking out. It is on Flo 

5 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

He did just drop a close match to Parker ISU -  great match well worth checking out. It is on Flo 

Just watched it - I stand corrected. I think guys are figuring out how to stop his underhooks/overhooks/trips and that's making him less dangerous in neutral (and less fun to watch).

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

When citing to freestyle results, you should make that clear. Though you may consider freestyle results to be a good proxy for folk, many do not. The results you note above are misleading.

Idgaf if you think they're misleading.  Eierman had zero for him when they stepped on the mat and none of it was due to 'freestyle' moves.  He was better that day.  Faster, more crisp.  Eierman was the only one to score 'freestyle' moves in that match and he still got owned.

Also how else would he wrestle Molinaro if not for freestyle.  HASHTAGCOMMONSENSE

Edited by nhs67
Added # bit

22 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Idgaf if you think they're misleading.  Eierman had zero for him when they stepped on the mat and none of it was due to 'freestyle' moves.  He was better that day.  Faster, more crisp.  Eierman was the only one to score 'freestyle' moves in that match and he still got owned.

Also how else would he wrestle Molinaro if not for freestyle.  HASHTAGCOMMONSENSE

I dunno buddy - Eirman looks to me like he's just playing with high quality wrestlers so far this year. Easy to overlook since he wrestles shortly after Lee. Recent folkstyle performance is a better indicator than freestyle results.

Edited by Fletcher

asterisks ? You wrestle who ever shows up. Should we put on on any weight where a highly ranked wrestler got hurt ? In any given year several top quality guys go down and don't make the big dance. Asterisks are for loser mentality folks. Just my opinion of course.

Hart has clearly jumped levels this year, but styles matter. I can see Mauller doing well against Jaydin, as he keeps great position, takes high percentage shots, and finishes quickly. I think Hart will struggle against the likes of Eierman. 

I find talk of an asterisk to be pretty frickin strange in any sport with wrestling being the strangest. You play the hand you're dealt. BTW - Yianni  was slotted for 149 with Josh Saunders in the 141 spot before Cornell got put on ice. Maybe we need an asterisk at 149.