Sign in to follow this  
tightwaist

Is Robert Hamlin the "best ever" from Vermont?

I'm from New England and from my memory there isn't anyone else in the discussion.

He is the only Division 1 All American from the state and he did it 3 times with 2 NCAA finals appearences. AND he dominated during HS, 3x New England Champ, 4x state champ.

VT doesn't have a lot of depth as far as wrestling goes... but they definitely aren't bad when you look at their top few teams, Mount Mansfield (Robert Hamlin's hometown team) and the dominant power Mount Anthony Union who win's New Englands pretty regularly and if i'm not mistaken competes at The Beast of the East and other high level HS tournaments.

MAU info:

"Location: Bennington, Vermont: Bennington is a community of 15,000 residents

MAU's dual meet record (1988-2013) 558-16-1 (.970 win %)

Vermont State Championships:

1969, 1980, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

New England High School Championships:

1981, 1993, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2013

New England High School Finalist:

1994, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2008, 2011

New England High School 3rd Place Finish:

1989, 1992, 1995, 2012

**NATIONAL RECORDS**

STATE WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIPS-Most Consecutive

25 Bennington Mt. Anthony Union, VT (1989-2013)

19 Paulsboro, NJ (1983-01) DUAL MEET FORMAT

18 Coventry, RI (1982-99)

MOST CONSECUTIVE STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS-ALL SPORTS

... Among active state-championship streaks, MAU trails only Carmel (Ind.), which has won 26 consecutive titles in girls swimming and diving, according to the National Federation of State High School Associations records ... In the all-time rankings across all sports, MAU's run is tied for fifth ... Punahou (Hawaii) has the record 29 straight boys swimming and diving championships from 1958 to 1986."

I'm from New England and from my memory there isn't anyone else in the discussion.

There was a really good kid from Vermont back in the late 90's or early 00's named Forest Something or Something Forest who wrestled in the Dapper Dan. I don't know how he did in college but was pretty high in the senior greco rankings for a while.

We wrestled MAU at the Virginia Duals my senior year. They had some tough kids (Forrest was a freshman, and Jeremiah Rodgers was a senior), but the Virginia Group AA runners-up that year trounced them. Granted, they've had some good teams (probably better than that 1997 team), but they came in ranked 18th or something and the match was over by 160. (41-9 at that point if memory serves). I think the final was 51-12 or something.

There was a really good kid from Vermont back in the late 90's or early 00's named Forest Something or Something Forest who wrestled in the Dapper Dan. I don't know how he did in college but was pretty high in the senior greco rankings for a while.

I think this Forrest guy would have had to have almost gone undefeated and won 4 state titles in VT just to be considered a comparable VT HS wrestler. Hamlin was 168-3 in HS.

boy this is a tough one for me.

forrest and rodgers both were outstanding....dapper dan team USA. both lost btw. i forget who rodgers lost to, but forrest lost to greg jones, so no shame there.

rob labrake was darn studly in high school, yet didn't really pan out at clarion. think he got hurt???

i suppose hamlin takes it through the college level. he's been solid/elite the whole way through. forrest though did make the USMC team, so that's pretty cool. and, national greco team member, 2d at world team trials i think. i also think forrest was the slickest, a real nice combo of technique, power, and speed.

in vermont, there really is only one team. MAU. they are so far ahead of the other schools in vermont that it gets old. of course there is an occasional stud from another team i.e. hamlin from mt. mansfield, but by and large no team can compete with MAU.

so dominant in vermont they are that they routinely qualify their entire roster to New Englands, which gives them an advantage against most other teams. year in and year out, the only team that enjoys such high success in new england is timberlane out of new hampshire.

Mt Anthony is a legit program for sure. Best ever from Vermont is definitely Hamlin but Rafael vega in highschool was probably better though he didn't do much at edinboro. Forrest was really good too but not sure what he did in college

I'm from New England and I think Hamlin is the best wrestler in New England history (based on college results anyway.) We've had some other good ones, but 2 time D1 finalist is tough to beat.

I don't think theres anyone even close to Robert Hamlin from New England let alone Vermont now that I think about it… only recent Division 1 All American I can think of is a 1x AA named Dave Shunammon (Tewksbury, MA) who got 6th at Edinboro.

Even though Hamlin would be considered the best COLLEGE wrestler ever from New England, the best HS-only wrestler from New England ever may be Matt Smith from Timberlane, NH. He won NE's 4x to Hamlin's 3x (only the 2nd to ever do that), never lost in New England, and won NHSCA senior nationals.

He only stuck around D1 to wrestle a short season at pre-Cael Penn State (winning a wrestle off against Adam Smith - eventual D1 AA @ 125) before transferring to Division 3.

Edit: Maybe not the two best EVER because Greco -> folkstyle is hard to translate but Ben Sanchez and Peter Gounaridis both from Leominster, MA competed at the Olympic Trials, World Team Trials, etc. Ben won University Nationals at 145.5lbs in '09 & Peter was a Silver medalist at the U.S. World Team Trials (Council Bluffs, Iowa) as well as winning the University Nationals.

Both Ben and Pete are great guys who have been pretty impressive out at the USOEC.

Who else does he really have for competition in this category?

George W. Flagg, was born in Braintree, April 9, 1839. He was known as Vermont's famous wrestler and has an interesting record.

Early in life he showed great aptitude for collar and elbow wrestling; a "sport" that was very popular in his boyhood days, the champion wrestler being the lion of the day at all public gatherings and was his wont.

At the age of eighteen he lost his last fall and for fifteen years, he could throw any man he ever met in five minutes.

He travelled through Western New York, where he won many matches, also Ohio. He wrestled in almost every town of importance in Michigan where he defeated the renowned Indian chief Tipsico at a back hold match.

From the age of thirty-five to forty-eight, he travelled extensively in most of the northern states, giving exhibitions of his proficiency, and his only rival was H. M. Dufur with whom he had many hard fought battles.

In New England he wrestled for thousands of people under great excitement. In his travels he challenged all comers ...with perfect confidence. After each campaign of travels he returned to work on his farm, never training for a match or series of matches. During Mr. Flagg's wrestling career he doubtless wrestled two hundred matches.

In all of his matches he always manifested good cheer towards all, never losing his temper, being strictly honest. :o

*In May, 1861, he enlisted at Montpelier in Co. F, 2d Regt., Vt. Vols., and was the acknowledged champion of the Army of the Potomac. He participated in every engagement in which the old Vermont brigade bore part from Bull Run to Appomattox. He was constantly on duty, but for one month was disabled by a wound received in the Wilderness. In May 3, 1864, his brigade was the first to enter Petersburgh, when General Grant advanced on Richmond. Mr. Flagg enlisted as a private, served four years, participated in twenty-five battles and was promoted to the rank of sergeant; he as such more than once commanded his company in the absence of all the superior officers. He was honorably discharged as 1st lieutenant with brevet captain, July 25, 1865.

A very knowledgeable former Lehigh wrestler told me that after his sophomore finals appearance against Quentin Wright, that many in the Mountain Hawk community thought Hamlin would be one of the Top 5 wrestlers all-time for Lehigh.

Others have had better results, but for him to be thought of in that capacity by people from a great program such as Lehigh probably puts a lot of weight behind him being the best from Vermont.

After all, he is the "Vermonster"

""He only stuck around D1 to wrestle a short season at pre-Cael Penn State (winning a wrestle off against Adam Smith - eventual D1 AA @ 125) before transferring to Division 3.""

Adam Smith never placed at D! NCAAs.