Sign in to follow this  
tightwaist

Is Robert Hamlin the "best ever" from Vermont?

""He only stuck around D1 to wrestle a short season at pre-Cael Penn State (winning a wrestle off against Adam Smith - eventual D1 AA @ 125) before transferring to Division 3.""

Adam Smith never placed at D! NCAAs.

No? I stand corrected then... I was under the impression he got 7th-8th but since I can't find it apparently not.

Yeah his BIO says you are correct, he was a three time national qualifier but never placed at NCAAs. Sorry about that.

Maybe I was mixing up him doing well at these freestyle events? "Smith was the bronze medal winner at the 2005 University Freestyle National All-Americans and was a 2005 University Freestyle World Team Trials finalist as well. He recently took the bronze medal at the 2006 U.S. Nationals."

- http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-wre ... dam00.html

Robert is great and I was a fan of his back in the day.

Like Mr. Holt, I would also take Steve Forest's (who wrestled for a brief time at Sacred Heart btw) international achievements over Hamlin's collegiate ones.

As far as New England wrestling goes, I would also take Kenny Mallory's division 1 national title as a superior accomplishment. I would imagine that most national runners-ups would like to be a champ.

Also on the New England scene: No collegiate accomplishments are superior to Rodney Smith's Olympic medal and two Olympic teams.

Matt Smith should not even be in comparison to Hamlin. Matt was good in HS, but "never lost to anyone in New England" is hardly something to make you an elite hs wrestler. Left PSU and was never an NCAA Div 3 AA in his 2 years. Hamlin is a 3x AA and 2x Finalist in NCAA Div 1. It is also more impressive what Hamlin did in HS considering he is an upper weight.

Robert is great and I was a fan of his back in the day.

Like Mr. Holt, I would also take Steve Forest's (who wrestled for a brief time at Sacred Heart btw) international achievements over Hamlin's collegiate ones.

As far as New England wrestling goes, I would also take Kenny Mallory's division 1 national title as a superior accomplishment. I would imagine that most national runners-ups would like to be a champ.

Also on the New England scene: No collegiate accomplishments are superior to Rodney Smith's Olympic medal and two Olympic teams.

Amazing that these two are both Division 3 guys in college and STILL made it to the highest levels.

Maybe your right! I didn't know much about Mallory but I read that he was never even on a high school wrestling team, he was from Boston's South End I believe I read. Thats amazing... that he won 3 Division 3 titles, with 1x NCAA D1 title.

Ken Mallory, Montclair State - Ken Mallory was the only Division III wrestler to win a Division I title. He won the 134-pound title in 1978 with a 10-7 victory over Frank DeAngelis of Oklahoma. Mallory also won three Division III crowns and was named Outstanding Wrestler of the 1978 Division III tournament.

And Rodney Smith getting Bronze at the Olympics is also hard to beat... but in all fairness Hamlin hasn't had a chance to do it (not that I believe he will).

Rodney Smith (Putnam): Rodney, a sectional champ in High School was a D3 college New England champ for WNEC. After college, Rodney joined the US Army and became a member of its World Class Athlete's Program. Rodney made two Olympic teams at 68 kg (150 lb). In 1996, he earned an Olympic Bronze and in 2000 he was captain of the team but did not medal.

NewJersey125: Of course he wouldn't even be comparable to Hamlin when you take both careers as a whole, which is why I said when you consider ONLY high school results. I think it makes Hamlin's accomplishments even more impressive that he kept getting better and better.

Speaking of getting better, is there still video out there of Hamlin getting absolutely dismantled by current Lehigh teammate Austin Meys during his senior year? What's Austin up to, I didn't follow Lehigh very closely this year and didn't see his name in the brackets.

Hamlin has had the best collegiate career, by far. Had to compare him and Forrest, Forrest's Greco career has been good but he has never made a world or Olympic team.

A few others that have been missed. Eric Bradley from NH, 2x Big 10 champ, 2x AA. Matt Stolpinski, 2x EIWA champ, 2x AA. Also Dave Shunnamon AA in 2001 for Edinboro.

Internationally we have mentioned Rodney Smith, Sanchez, Gounaridis and Forrest. How about Elena Pirozhkova, 2012 Olympian, 2012 world champ, 2010 world silver, etc etc etc.

Best high school wrestler from NE is subjective as well. We had a couple Fargo champs like Bilodeau and Peterkin that haven't been mentioned yet.

Definitely agree Hamlin has had the best collegiate career of anyone from Vermont... in terms of non-collegiate, we also need to add Erin Clodgo to the discussion... she's a current women's freestyler and pretty darn good!