TripNSweep

Picks for the men's freestyle Olympic team?

12 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Who do you have? Here's mine.

57: Suriano

65: Oliver

74: Burroughs

86: Taylor

97: Cox

125: Gwiazdowski

Suriano looked excellent in France.  I am very interested in seeing how he does without the +2 kilos.  4.4 lbs is a lot for a little guy!

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

57 Lee

65 Zain

74 Dake

86 Taylor

97 Cox

125 Steveson

This looks most reasonable to me. 

65 is a toss-up between JO, Yianni, and Zain.  Hope we can qualify the weight after Zain's leg lace fiasco at the Pan Am games.

26 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

65 is a toss-up between JO, Yianni, and Zain.  Hope we can qualify the weight after Zain's leg lace fiasco at the Pan Am games.

It isn't a tossup.  Two of them will have to wrestle eachother before the best of three finals.  If they even make it there.  Oliver lost to Pantaleo(who isn't going 65) and Johnny D to McKenna.  They're not invincible.

Edited by nhs67

2 hours ago, lu_alum said:

For the record, I think that Yianni is our best chance to qualify, and best chance to medal. I also think that Zain will win h2h. It’s a conundrum.

7 minutes ago, Keisha_Phillips said:

It is crazy to me how many people are taking Suriano.  Suriano is not running through a bracket with Lee, Fix, Gilman, Gross and Vito in it.  He can beat one of those guys, but he is not beating multiple in one day.  

I'm with you but I also wouldn't be surprised if he did take the leap. He has head/hands defense down pat, offense looked good in Nice, but the big question is the gas tank after sucking down - ESPECIALLY if he makes it to day 2. Lee, Gilman, and Vito are the only ones that I'm not worried about being affected by the cut now that Fix won't be taking swigs out of the wrong water bottle to cut any more.

Edited by bnwtwg
grammar

1 hour ago, Keisha_Phillips said:

It is crazy to me how many people are taking Suriano.  Suriano is not running through a bracket with Lee, Fix, Gilman, Gross and Vito in it.  He can beat one of those guys, but he is not beating multiple in one day.  

I'll freely grant he isn't head and shoulders above these guys, but he will beat Vito or Gross 80% of the time.  I think he'll beat Fix and Gilman in low scoring matches more often than not.  I look for him to wear Lee down.  Particularly if they are in the 2/3 series.

1 hour ago, Keisha_Phillips said:

This might sound cliche but watching him in France he seems like he wants it more and is totally focused on winning a gold medal. He just looked super focused and he has a great coach with him. I would be surprised if he didn't make Final X. In a bracket with those guys he would only need to beat 2 of them. 

Edited by TripNSweep

57: Lee
65: Yianni
74: JB
86: Taylor
97: Cox
Hwt: Gwiz

Lee or Fix could bring home a medal 50% chance. Yianni is our best bet at the 65 kg gauntlet. He has a win over Bajrang so He’s right there in the hunt if he gets past Zain. JB wins it all and cements his legacy as the Greatest American and leaves his shoes on the mat. Taylor wins Gold. If and when Cox gets past Snyder he dethrones Sadulaev and tours America doing talk shows, biography, etc... I do not see us placing at hwt no matter who we send.

Seems like you could swap Suriano with any other name on that list and it would be the same statement.

The most exciting matchup is 74kg and the history of Kemp vs Schultz leading to 1984 is a great parallel. My bet is on Dake in a very close series.

Here’s how it went with Kemp and Schultz. Schultz lost repeatedly to Kemp prior to 1982. Someone told me that Dave then decided to avoid wrestling Kemp until 1984. In 1982 he moved up to 82kg and took a true bronze in the world championships (“true” meaning there was only one bronze back then)(*)

Kemp took 1983 off and Schultz made the world team and won the gold  setting up for the now famous 1984 Olympic trials match between Schultz and Kemp. Kemp was roughly three years older than Schultz (1956 VS 1959 birth year). Burroughs is roughly three years older than Dake (1988 VS 1991). Kemp had won the worlds in 1978, 1979 and 1982 and taken a bronze in 1981 while missing out on the 1980 Olympics due to the boycott. Burroughs as we all know has five world golds (including the 2012 Olympics) and in 2014, 2018 and 2019 took bronze. Dake won the worlds in 2018 and 2019. So we have a similar set up.

Dake and JB have wrestled eight times and JB won seven of those with Dake’s lone win a 6-6 criteria decision in the 2017 best of three series in the world team trials. JB went on to win the gold that year.  That series was the last time JB and Dake wrestled. 

With that history, you can see the parallels. JB is a bit older now, easily past his prime. Dake has reset his mental state VS JB. In 2017 JB was truly on top of the world and Dake didn’t yet have a lot of world level experience and certainly no world championship medals. Since their last match JB was failed to make another world finals (by a hair) while Dake has won two world championships at a higher weight (though most definitely VS easier completion). I think the reset and age is the factor. 

(*) This was not quite the Dake’s achievement but 82kg is 3kg more than the 79kg that Dake won worlds at and 82kg was an Olympic weight. That said the gold and silver medalists at 82kg were not quite the world beaters in 1982. The gold medalist was a one timer from the Soviet Union. The silver medalist was from Bulgaria and he lost to Chris Campbell in the finals the year before.