TripNSweep

Picks for the men's freestyle Olympic team?

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Additionally, he could not techfall a NATO that Gross was able to do a month prior.

The same Gross that barely beat Nicky Pushups on a late hipturk.

I want to believe that Lee is the next Gold medal for us at 57, but he has zero results to show on the senior circuit to tell me he is any better than Gillman(who is a world silver, mind you).

Well, according to the transitive property of wrestling he beat Vito worse than Gilman.

33 minutes ago, RajaThaiKnee said:

You’re really contradicting yourself and cherry picking results. You say that Lee was not able to Tech NATO, while saying that Gross barely beat Nicky.

I'm not contradicting anything.  I am being a troll in responding to a post that is littered with ignorance.

35 minutes ago, RajaThaiKnee said:

You just made my point. Gilman is a world silver medalist, but he is not a junior Gold medalist. I don’t think you realize how tough the Junior Circuit is and how well some wrestlers transition to the senior level.

Again.  Ignorant as all hell.

How many of our Junior or even Cadet world golds have won senior medals this millennium?

You're going to be disappointed when you find out that you can count it on one hand.

2 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Bro...You're really taking a chance here.

Troll level 7/10.  I have work to do.

Edit: I'm surprised any of you actually take me seriously with anything as it were...

Edited by nhs67

24 minutes ago, RajaThaiKnee said:

He was one takedown from teching NATO, who has had some close matches with in folk and knows Lee very well. Lee still destroyed him in freestyle. I never said that Lee had a 50% chance of being our representative. He will have a tougher time winning the spot then he will winning a medal.
You’re really contradicting yourself and cherry picking results. You say that Lee was not able to Tech NATO, while saying that Gross barely beat Nicky.
You just made my point. Gilman is a world silver medalist, but he is not a junior Gold medalist. I don’t think you realize how tough the Junior Circuit is and how well some wrestlers transition to the senior level.

I absolutely have to disagree with the statement "He will have a tougher time winning the spot then he will winning a medal"  - I only wish that were true.  The 57 kg weight at the Olympics will be far deeper and more full of high level hammers than our Olympic trials.  Probably Ugaev from Russia,   Alti from Turkey, The Kazak guy and Micic are both tough as well whoever the Iranians and India send.  Beyond that you will have very tough guys added to the field from the Asian and Euro qualifiers. as well as the last chance qualifier.  Japan has 2 top guys competing for their spot  in Higuchi and Takahashi, the Asian qualifier will also have hammers from No Korea, Mongolia and the remaining Stans trying to punch their tickets to Tokyo.  The Euros will be even more loaded with Geogia, Armenia, Azerberjian, Ukraine,  Belarus, and a bunch of other tough guys trying to break through. Those that don't get another shot at the last chance qualifier.  Whoever gets through you can bet that the bracket at the Olympics will be considerably tougher than the one in State College.

5 hours ago, nhs67 said:

50% though?  Neither Fix or Lee has ever beaten a single senior medalist.

Lee hasn't even beaten a Top 20 ranked guy in his senior level history.

There's a pretty big number of Americans who, with very little to no senior international experience, went to a world or olympic and medaled.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

There's a pretty big number of Americans who, with very little to no senior international experience, went to a world or olympic and medaled.

Okay. Great.  Are you saying 50% chance Fix/Lee medal as well?

On 1/29/2021 at 1:13 PM, Lurker said:

That is true but I would guess that the # of Americans who failed to medal in their 1st trip to Worlds/Olympics is considerably higher.

Some Guys who did medal in their 1st Olympics/Worlds - Both Brands Bros., , I think KJ, D. Gable, both Peterson Bros, I think C Taylor,L. Kemp,    8 of 9 of the 1984 FS Olympic Team medalists  (D Schulz did it in 82 and Big Bruce in 83, Weaver in 79, B Davis made 1983 world team but didn't medal), K Monday, J Smith,B Scheer, J. Scheer,  C Campbell, M Coleman, B. Slay, S. Neil, S Henson, C Kolat,  C Sanderson, B Eggum, T. Gilman, J Herbert, J Burroughs, K Snyder, J Green, D Taylor, K Dake , J Cox,  and C. Scott.

Edited by lu1979

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

The more I looked at it I am beginning to think that the majority of our medal winners actually may have won a medal in their 1st World or Olympic Games.  I wouldn't have expected that.

49 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

The more I looked at it I am beginning to think that the majority of our medal winners actually may have won a medal in their 1st World or Olympic Games.  I wouldn't have expected that.

Often after recently finishing up their collegiate career.

I hope I am wrong with Taylor, but looks like he is not the same.  Dake should go 86!

57:  Surinano  - bronze

65:  McKenna - n/a

74:  Burroughs - bronze

84:  Taylor - n/a

97:  Snyder - bronze

120:  Steveson - n/a

The trials are April 9th to 11th in State College.   I am not sure but I believe that NBC has the rights to broadcast all Olympic Trial events - I don't know about the broadcast schedule.

For the record, Fix has beaten a world medalist in Gilman multiple times. 

he also beat Yatsenko, who later went on to win bronze. 

He also beat Magomedov, who this year won russian nationals and won the individual World Cup. I feel like that’s on par with a world bronze at a minimum 

10 hours ago, Housebuye said:

For the record, Fix has beaten a world medalist in Gilman multiple times. 

he also beat Yatsenko, who later went on to win bronze. 

He also beat Magomedov, who this year won russian nationals and won the individual World Cup. I feel like that’s on par with a world bronze at a minimum 

Wasn't including Americans.

Also those toons did those AFTER he beat them.  Meaning they could have improved tremendously since their match.

On 1/29/2021 at 2:31 PM, lu1979 said:

Cejudo finished dead last at worlds in 2007. Won gold in 2008 obviously.