BigTimeFan

Spencer Lee will win the Hodge

He will be the two-time Hodge winner with the least matches ever.

On Flo the other day Askren and the guys were talking about the Hodge and Ben out the odds at -1000 he wins and said had he already gotten Covid he’d put them at -2000. This pretty much sums up my view  

The only possible real competition is if Suriano wrestlers and goes 125. In the scenario I still see Lee wining and then his quality of competition skyrockets with two wins over a returning champ at a higher weight class. 

Gable would certainly be a contender this year because he has to bear Paris and we know how good Paris is. He might have to bear Kerk and we know how good they are. But those guys aren’t as good on paper as they actually are and I think the Hodge committee won’t say “Gable bear Kerk and we know he’s going to be multi-time national champion.” Or “he beat Paris and he split 1-1 with Gwinnett in freestyle at the Clubs Cup so he’s a contender”. Also who knows if Gable beats Paris. I think he will but I think the likelihood he loses to him is much greater than the likelihood Lee loses to Suriano. 

1 hour ago, BigTimeFan said:

Or “he beat Paris and he split 1-1 with Gwinnett in freestyle at the Clubs Cup so he’s a contender”. Also who knows if Gable beats Paris. I think he will but I think the likelihood he loses to him is much greater than the likelihood Lee loses to Suriano. 

My dear departed friend, Button Gwinnett.  I wish I had a chance to get his autograph!

Button Gwinnett - Wikipedia

15 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

My dear departed friend, Button Gwinnett.  I wish I had a chance to get his autograph!

for those of you who aren't interested enough to consult the Wikipedia:

[Button] Gwinnett's autograph is highly sought by collectors as a result of a combination of the desire by many top collectors to acquire a complete set of autographs by all 56 signers of the U.S. Declaration of Independence, and the extreme rarity of the Gwinnett signature; there are 51 known examples,[10] since Gwinnett was fairly obscure prior to signing the Declaration and died shortly afterward. Only ten of those are in private hands.[11]

Spencer Tracy in the 1958 film The Last Hurrah says, "Oh, I'm afraid my signature will never become as rare as Button Gwinnett."

41 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

He was de parted alright. De parted in a duel. No word on whether it was a 56 caliber slug doin the de parting as in your case. 

Edited by TBar1977

19 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

It was a ridiculously strong weight a couple years ago... but for some reason it cleared out, except for one guy.

Is that reason COVID? Is the implication that people left 125 to avoid Lee? I'm not sure the facts bear that out

Top seeds 2020 - along with Arujau who was out last year and this and Foley who redshirted last year but is in the weight now.
1. Lee
2. Glory - out due to COVID
3. Piccinnini - graduated
4. Mueller - graduated
5. Schroder - still 125
6. Hildebrandt - still at 125
7. Paetzell - not wrestling? at least not certified
8. DeAugustino - still at 125
9. Courtney - still at 125
10. Camacho - still at 125
11. Colaiocco - out due to COVID
12. Mackall - still at 125

Who has cleared out of this weight this year to avoid Lee?

1 hour ago, headshuck said:

It bears repeating, the Hodge should be awarded based on its original criteria. Gable won’t have the pins.

1. Record

2. Number of pins

3. Dominance

4. Past credentials

5. Quality of competition

6. Sportsmanship/citizenship

7. Heart

What if Gable doesn't have the pins, but so far exeeds in Heart that the committee is forced to give it to him?

6 minutes ago, jchapman said:

1. Record

2. Number of pins

3. Dominance

4. Past credentials

5. Quality of competition

6. Sportsmanship/citizenship

7. Heart

What if Gable doesn't have the pins, but so far exeeds in Heart that the committee is forced to give it to him?

what's the category directly above Heart?

37 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Is that reason COVID? Is the implication that people left 125 to avoid Lee? I'm not sure the facts bear that out

Top seeds 2020 - along with Arujau who was out last year and this and Foley who redshirted last year but is in the weight now.
1. Lee
4. Mueller - graduated
5. Schroder - still 125

Is it possible that some of these guys are pretty good wrestlers, just no one can touch Lee therefore we dont think they are that good? I always felt 49 got labeled that way just because Zain Retherford was going to destroy all of them.

Edited by Drake_Mallard

2 hours ago, AHamilton said:

It was a ridiculously strong weight a couple years ago... but for some reason it cleared out, except for one guy.

The Ivies canceling the season hurt this weight a lot more than most as both Arujau and Glory would have been top guys if they had competed here.  

2 hours ago, IronChef said:

1. Lee
4. Mueller - graduated
5. Schroder - still 125

I think they’re speaking of Fix, Suriano and Rivera.  Not necessarily from last year or moved up because of Lee, but they definitely all were or could have been at 125.

Yes, Rivera, who has two wins over Lee moved up to duck him. Just because someone can possibly make 125 doesn’t mean they want to cut or that they are ducking Lee by moving up. Most college kids grow—crazy, I know. It’s entirely different to cut for freestyle competitions that have huge weight jumps. 

Edited by Force118

7 hours ago, Mokoma said:

I think they’re speaking of Fix, Suriano and Rivera.  Not necessarily from last year or moved up because of Lee, but they definitely all were or could have been at 125.

when have you seen Fix wrestle 125, and jr hs does not count?

Never a done deal...Nobody seen that coming but guess what!!!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=spencer+lee+high+school+finals&docid=608037751928785514&mid=361EC74CDD7459E3348C361EC74CDD7459E3348C&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

2 hours ago, ionel said:

when have you seen Fix wrestle 125, and jr hs does not count?

What weight does Fix wrestle internationally?  That’s why my post says were at or could have been at 125.

Since he competes at 126, I think it’s not unreasonable to think he could wrestle at 125 collegiately if he wanted to.

5 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

What weight does Fix wrestle internationally?  That’s why my post says were at or could have been at 125.

Since he competes at 126, I think it’s not unreasonable to think he could wrestle at 125 collegiately if he wanted to.

We are talking folk not free, do international freestyle guys wrestle and weigh in a couple times every week?  Do they have any tournaments where they weigh in 3 days in a row?  Why do they give weight allowance (2kg lots of times) for these in season single matches?  Back to the question when have you seen him wrestling 125 for the college season?

6 hours ago, ionel said:

We are talking folk not free, do international freestyle guys wrestle and weigh in a couple times every week?  Do they have any tournaments where they weigh in 3 days in a row?  Why do they give weight allowance (2kg lots of times) for these in season single matches?  Back to the question when have you seen him wrestling 125 for the college season?

We haven’t, potentially because Spencer Lee is there.   That is what people are suggesting, is all I’m saying.  But he could be there if he wanted to.