Sign in to follow this  
RED

"Old" Cornell Wrestler Battles Multiple Myeloma

Many of you probably remember me making a similar request a couple of years ago.  I'm a former Cornell wrestler who had the misfortune of being diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma several years ago.  It is an incurable blood cancer, but I am fortunate to be faring well.  Others are not so fortunate which is why I am partaking in a fundraiser for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation (MMRF), raising money to help them find a cure.  A couple years ago I partook in an arduous 10 day trek to Patagonia with my wife in order to raise money.  Many of you in the wrestling community graciously contributed to the cause.  This year, I am off to Alaska, where there will be more Grizzlies than people!!  Please note, the cost of the trips are covered by corporate sponsors.  100% of what I raise goes towards research.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Click the link below and it will take you to the fundraiser, where you can learn more about this insidious disease.  Thank you!

Michael Mankowich

http://give.share-a-link.top/613lcbgf

f1062c58-5f46-11eb-aa29-0a58a9feac03.jpg

Edited by RED

3 hours ago, RED said:

Many of you probably remember me making a similar request a couple of years ago.  I'm a former Cornell wrestler who had the misfortune of being diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma several years ago.  It is an incurable blood cancer, but I am fortunate to be faring well.  Others are not so fortunate which is why I am partaking in a fundraiser for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation (MMRF), raising money to help them find a cure.  A couple years ago I partook in an arduous 10 day trek with my wife in order to raise money.  Many of you in the wrestling community graciously contributed to the cause.  This year, I am off to Alaska, where there will be more Grizzlies than people!!  Please note, the cost of the trips are covered by corporate sponsors.  100% of what I raise goes towards research.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Click the link below and it will take you to the fundraiser, where you can learn more about this insidious disease.  Thank you!

http://give.share-a-link.top/613lcbgf

f1062c58-5f46-11eb-aa29-0a58a9feac03.jpg

Thanks for the update Red! Continue to battle hard!

Were you referencing Adam Frey? Great young man who battled hard. I followed his blog and emailed with him a few times. Great  young man. 

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Best of luck in your journey.  And good luck in Alaska as well!

p.s. Polar bears and penguins don't occupy the same ecosystem!! :)

Clearly you missed the Pterodactyl!  That would be a totally different ecosystem!

Thanks

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Thanks for the update Red! Continue to battle hard!

Were you referencing Adam Frey? Great young man who battled hard. I followed his blog and emailed with him a few times. Great  young man. 

That was a very sad situation.  And yes, he was an incredible young man and put up an incredible fight.

With regard to my reference, this is all about Multiple Myeloma, and others who suffer from it.  AS I said, I'm doing well, but many are not.  I believe average life expectancy is 4-5 years.  I'm 4 in, but all signs indicate I should be around for a long time!!  Odds are my wife will kill me before this does!!  Thanks,

Edited by RED

3 hours ago, AKHUNTER said:

Where in Alaska are you headed ? And When ?

Kenai Peninsula in August.  Starting out in Homer.  Still waiting on the itinerary. 

I may head out a couple days early.  I enjoy wildlife photography.  This trek is not so conducive to it, so I'd like to get out on my own, hang out and photograph some Grizzlies!  Good chance that opportunity may not come around again any time soon.

Red.. if you are starting in Homer I hope you plan a halibut day or two in there somewhere. GREAT halibut fishing out of homer.

I am sure people on here would love to hear about your trip that you did take, I certainly would enjoy it.

18 hours ago, AKHUNTER said:

Red.. if you are starting in Homer I hope you plan a halibut day or two in there somewhere. GREAT halibut fishing out of homer.

I am sure people on here would love to hear about your trip that you did take, I certainly would enjoy it.

I plan on reporting daily, providing a photo journal, with posts to this forum and a Cornell forum that was recently set up.  Thanks for your recommendations!