RED

"Old" Cornell Wrestler Battles Multiple Myeloma

Many of you probably remember me making a similar request a couple of years ago.  I'm a former Cornell wrestler who had the misfortune of being diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma several years ago.  It is an incurable blood cancer, but I am fortunate to be faring well.  Others are not so fortunate which is why I am partaking in a fundraiser for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation (MMRF), raising money to help them find a cure.  A couple years ago I partook in an arduous 10 day trek to Patagonia with my wife in order to raise money.  Many of you in the wrestling community graciously contributed to the cause.  This year, I am off to Alaska, where there will be more Grizzlies than people!!  Please note, the cost of the trips are covered by corporate sponsors.  100% of what I raise goes towards research.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Click the link below and it will take you to the fundraiser, where you can learn more about this insidious disease.  Thank you!

http://give.share-a-link.top/613lcbgf

Bear link.jpg

Edited by RED

2 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

My grandmother was given 9 months due to this. She hung on for another 16 years. 

Yeah, I'm hoping to outdo her.  I've got to do my part, and that is what this is about.  I'm doing well right now, but it could (and will) change at any moment.  So please, donate!

BTW - did alot of sweeps in my career, what's your deal their?  And please, give me a hand and get folks to donate!  Thanks.

58 minutes ago, RED said:

Yeah, I'm hoping to outdo her.  I've got to do my part, and that is what this is about.  I'm doing well right now, but it could (and will) change at any moment.  So please, donate!

BTW - did alot of sweeps in my career, what's your deal their?  And please, give me a hand and get folks to donate!  Thanks.

I don't know what her treatment consisted of but I do know it was effective. She went into remission and had it beaten. 

11 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

I don't know what her treatment consisted of but I do know it was effective. She went into remission and had it beaten. 

I bet she would be very proud of you if you made a donation in her name. :)

Amusing photoshop -- no grizzly, penguins playing with polar bears .... you won't be winning awards for effective photoshop methods!

That said, best wishes.  Must be a bit of a kick in the gut to have this diagnosis hanging over you.  

I'll be chipping in!!

My grandfather died from MM long before I ever had the chance to meet him so I always wished that the treatments had been available for him. The company I work for has a potential treatment in clinical trials which I am very hopeful for though I am not involved in that side of the business. I love what you’re doing and will be making a donation. Godspeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, nom said:

Amusing photoshop -- no grizzly, penguins playing with polar bears .... you won't be winning awards for effective photoshop methods!

That said, best wishes.  Must be a bit of a kick in the gut to have this diagnosis hanging over you.  

I'll be chipping in!!

Thanks!  Funny, so many comment on the penguins and Polar Bear, but no one picks up on the shadowy Pterodactyl in the background.  Tool awhile to find that perfect, discrete image!  Great thanks for your contribution!

30 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

My grandfather died from MM long before I ever had the chance to meet him so I always wished that the treatments had been available for him. The company I work for has a potential treatment in clinical trials which I am very hopeful for though I am not involved in that side of the business. I love what you’re doing and will be making a donation. Godspeed.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather.  Thank you for your kind words.   There are a lot of treatments out there.  Fortunately, I'm still on my first, but realize I'll eventually have to change things up.  Strange, supposedly a rare cancer.  There are 3 people, including myself, on my block that have it.  When I was first diagnosed, my aunt told me she had two neighbors that had it.  Scary stuff.  On another note, any donation will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather.  Thank you for your kind words.   There are a lot of treatments out there.  Fortunately, I'm still on my first, but realize I'll eventually have to change things up.  Strange, supposedly a rare cancer.  There are 3 people, including myself, on my block that have it.  When I was first diagnosed, my aunt told me she had two neighbors that had it.  Scary stuff.  On another note, any donation will be greatly appreciated.

You’ve probably looked into this already, but are you located near any environmental factors which might increase the incident rate like this? Radiation, asbestos, pesticides, plastics factories or brown-fields? That seems like extremely localized for a 1 in 200,000 diagnosis.

11 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

You’ve probably looked into this already, but are you located near any environmental factors which might increase the incident rate like this? Radiation, asbestos, pesticides, plastics factories or brown-fields? That seems like extremely localized for a 1 in 200,000 diagnosis.

Sure does.  I recently found out about it and brought it to the attention of my doctor at Sloan Kettering.

On 1/31/2021 at 11:58 AM, RED said:

Sure does.  I recently found out about it and brought it to the attention of my doctor at Sloan Kettering.

My daughter is a Dr. at Sloan (MSK); that is a fantastic institution.  The best and brightest people doing all they can despite dealing with tragic circumstances daily.  I highly recommend it for any sort of cancer care.  Good luck to you and any others going through this hell of a disease. 

2 hours ago, TFBJR said:

My daughter is a Dr. at Sloan (MSK); that is a fantastic institution.  The best and brightest people doing all they can despite dealing with tragic circumstances daily.  I highly recommend it for any sort of cancer care.  Good luck to you and any others going through this hell of a disease. 

I'm a Sloanie!  That's where I go for my monthly treatments.  It is an amazing institution - and I know I've never said that about any other hospital I've had the pleasure to visit!  What area / type of cancer does she deal with?

My wife and mother both were treated there; best place ever.  She works post-op rehab for adults and children.  They are amazingly upbeat and positive minded despite the harrowing everyday experiences.  I don't think I could do it.   Good luck to you - Stay positive - it can be 90% of the battle.