nhs67

I Really Enjoyed the Penn State Era V2021

4 minutes ago, ionel said:

Any score from NW v PSU?  Nothing on NW web site or wrestlestat.

PSU won 29-13

125: #8 Michael DeAugustino NU win by forfeit                                                   0-6
133: #3 Roman Bravo-Young PSU pinned Dylan Utterback NU, WBF (3:48)         6-6
141: #2 Nick Lee PSU maj. dec. Frankie Tal-Shahar NU, 12-2                             10-6
149: #20 Yahya Thomas NU dec. Terrell Barraclough PSU, 3-2                           10-9
157: #11 Brady Berge PSU dec. Maxx Mayfield NU, 12-7                                    13-9
165: #6 Joe Lee PSU dec. David Ferrante NU, 8-7                                              16-9
174: #5 Carter Starocci PSU dec. Troy Fisher NU, 4-1                                         19-9
184: #3 Aaron Brooks PSU tech fall Jack Jessen NU, 21-6 (TF; 7:00)                  24-9
197: #11 Lucas Davison NU maj. dec. Donovon Ball PSU, 12-3                           24-13
285: Seth Nevills PSU tech fall Brendan Devin NU, 24-9 (TF; 4:58)                      29-13

They literally only had 1 guy lose that will likely be wrestling in the postseason (Starocci).  Coming off their covid pause, it could’ve been worse.  Iowa was always going to be favored at NCAA’s, but I still wouldn’t count out PSU.  The Kerk injury is a bigger issue for them than anything that happened in today’s matches IMO.

Edited by 1032004

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

They literally only had 1 guy lose that will likely be wrestling in the postseason (Starocci).  Coming off their covid pause, it could’ve been worse.  Iowa was always going to be favored at NCAA’s, but I still wouldn’t count out PSU.  The Kerk injury is a bigger issue for them than anything that happened in today’s matches IMO.

I think I would count them out.

After watching both the Ind & NU matchups today, I have no problem counting PSU out as potential NCAA champs. Iowa is favored because they are a much, much stronger team.

Even the guys who won didn't all.look great,ike Berge or Joe Lee. Plus the absence of Howard. Bartlett, and Beard (and Kerk, but we already knew that one).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I think I would count them out.

After watching both the Ind & NU matchups today, I have no problem counting PSU out as potential NCAA champs. Iowa is favored because they are a much, much stronger team.

If Kerk is out for NCAA's I might count them out, but for one sounds like he might not be, and even without him, what changed based on today's results?

Starocci is the only one who's stock dropped, but guys have bad losses all the time (particularly in their first official match) and still end up on the podium, so that doesn't really change much for me IMO.

Lee, RBY, and Brooks are title contenders.

If Berge is healthy he should be pretty solid, same with Beard who did have some good wins as a redshirt.

125, 149 (I have a feeling it won't be Verk in the postseason), and 165 are still pretty much unknowns.

If Kerk is out for NCAA's I might count them out, but for one sounds like he might not be, and even without him, what changed based on today's results?
Starocci is the only one who's stock dropped, but guys have bad losses all the time (particularly in their first official match) and still end up on the podium, so that doesn't really change much for me IMO.
Lee, RBY, and Brooks are title contenders.
If Berge is healthy he should be pretty solid, same with Beard who did have some good wins as a redshirt.
125, 149 (I have a feeling it won't be Verk in the postseason), and 165 are still pretty much unknowns.

How long has Joe Lee and Beard been in the psu room? Third year freshman? What a joke!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

How long has Joe Lee and Beard been in the psu room? Third year freshman? What a joke!

Something like that yeah.   Good point though, Lee can probably be added to the Berge/Beard category, he had some decent wins last year too.

I think they basically need big points from Lee, RBY, Brooks, and Kerk, plus maybe 4 AA’s out of the other 6 weights, combined with some disappointment from Iowa (and maybe Michigan).

Penn State is lucky it was IU and Northwestern this week and not anyone better, because they looked bad. Time will tell if some of these guys are overrated or rusty. Verkleeren was the most concerning, though I suppose something could be going on since he only wrestled once. He did not seem super interested in winning that match. Starocci looked like someone who needs a few more weeks to get going. Joe Lee was super sloppy.

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Iowa is a lot older than PSU this year.

They literally call kemmerer the old man at Iowa... year number 6 and spent more time on Iowa’s team then Cassar spent on penn states team but I never hear old man jokes about Him, then you have the bull who is in year 5 and will be back for year 6...same for Kaleb Young-Brands, he’s in year 5 and will most likely be back for year 6 ...Eierman is in year 6 and like 25 yrs old .... I believe Warner is on the 6 year plan as well , Iowas average age in their starting line up is probably older then most nba teams starting 5s

4 hours ago, cjc007 said:

If you want to complain about someone on penn states never ending eligibility you can complain about Manville, pretty sure the guys still a sophomore but I feel like he’s been at penn state for 5, 6 years already 

So Starocci lost?  The results someone posted looks like he won?  And the team score sure didn't seem that close even with so many back-ups for PSU...what am I missing?  The utter hate for PSU in which some can turn even a blowout win with quite a few back-ups into a bad thing??

Iowa will still crush them...and I dislike Iowa in a bad way.  Except Lee...he is amazing once in a lifetime type talent (IMHO)...he will pin every opponent this year is my bet.

43 minutes ago, dman115 said:

So Starocci lost?  The results someone posted looks like he won?  And the team score sure didn't seem that close even with so many back-ups for PSU...what am I missing?  The utter hate for PSU in which some can turn even a blowout win with quite a few back-ups into a bad thing??

Iowa will still crush them...and I dislike Iowa in a bad way.  Except Lee...he is amazing once in a lifetime type talent (IMHO)...he will pin every opponent this year is my bet.

Starocci lost against Washington of Indiana (which was the close team match), but won against NW (which wasn't as close)

4 hours ago, dman115 said:

sooooo how much would you bet? I am in for $500 with funds to go to Wrestling For Life if I win....... or to some wrestling fund of your choice if you win.

SL may just pull that one off.