Sign in to follow this  
conanNY

New Rules - Think First...

I love the fact that every year there are sooooo many rules suggestions.

Not that they are bad, but the problem with most of the suggestions, is that they are not well thought out.

Having a rule is great...but can it be administered ??

Is it even possible for the official, coaches, teams, etc.. to implement, monitor, and execute the rule.

Then you have to even see if the rule is succeeding with it's original intent.

Also.. are we making a rule because another rule is NOT being enforced (history has shown, that would be a bad idea).

A great example is "calling a fall or NF as long as part of the wrestlers are in bounds"

Imagine two wrestlers in NF or a Fall situation and ONLY the FEET are inbounds (Perpendicular to the OOB -6 feet away)

How on earth is that ONE official supposed to see NF criteria, or Pin Criteria AND at the same time keep looking up to see if anyone's feet are STILL in bounds... ??? Did the feet go OOB before the 2 count or 5 count.. etc..etc..

Think about the logistics,.. most of these ideas are interesting in theory.. but not practicality.

Lastly...

College wrestling is 3 positions... ALL 3... not just TD's.

Maybe you believe that the neutral position is more exciting... BUT mat wresting is PART of the sport.

Don't keep suggesting ways to eliminate mat wrestling. That would just be stupid.

There were some AMAZING NF's scored at the NCAA's this year... points that WON matches.

This years NCAA tournament was arguably one of the MOST exciting ever...!!

If you eliminate Mat wrestling .. you just become Freestyle..

I have NO interest in College wrestling becoming freestyle...

Good post and I would just add - remember that college wrestling at least has a fan base and is getting some coverage. Freestyle has virtually no fan base in the US and gets no coverage even during the Olympics. Making college wrestling more like freestyle is a bad idea.

Good post. I guess what you don't hear is what we like that HAS been changed over the years. Think if we hadn't made the following changes:

- one foot in bounds rule

- only 1 point for riding time maximum

- overtime 30/30 instead of the ultimate tiebreaker (i.e. "rideout")

- stalling instead of fleeing the mat (which I liked a lot by the way as I saw referees more inclined to make the call)

My point is, there are good suggestions out there. But like anything, there are probably 5-10 poor, unworkable, unmanagable suggestions for every gem.

If I could only pick one thing to focus on, it would be rules surrounding getting wrestling to stay on the mat. The more they stay on the mat, the more action that can occur, the quicker the match takes place, and the more fans benefit.

This year, the officials constantly allowed wrestlers under attack to back straight out of bounds, sometimes with no effort what so ever to stay in bounds and wrestle. The officials often allowed those wrestlers to stand out of bounds to avoid wrestling. Stalling calls and warnings for this backing up and going out of bounds was almost never called. What could have been great matches with several takedowns and scrambles were reduced to riding time and escapes. And yet, in a month or two, many of these wrestlers will not step out of bounds at University Nationals or the US Open. I believe it is time for the one point to be awarded to you, if your opponent steps out of bounds. I saw one wrestler go out of bounds 17 times with no warning or being penalized. All the people sitting in my area started laughing at the officials for their ( always courtesy stall warning with 4 or 5 seconds left in the match) when one of the wrestlers clearly stalled almost the whole match. I have officiated both folkstyle and freestyle for nearly 40 years (as well as coaching for 40 years).

One thing that has always botherred me when i try getting my friends to watch wrestling, olympics there is no hope. Trying to explain freestyle is virtually impossible its offense vs offense, which to the casual sports fan makes zero sense, with all the throws and different forms of takedowns its just mayhem.

College wrestling is good because the control aspect is simple to understand and mat wrestling applies an offense defense aspect to the sport which is very easily explainable.

If wrestling wants to imrpove ratings the only way to do that is too make folkstyle the olympic form of wrestling plain and simple. yes throws are exciting but how often do they happen, most of the time when i watch freestyle wrestling it ends in a 1-1

One thing that has always botherred me when i try getting my friends to watch wrestling, olympics there is no hope. Trying to explain freestyle is virtually impossible its offense vs offense, which to the casual sports fan makes zero sense, with all the throws and different forms of takedowns its just mayhem.

College wrestling is good because the control aspect is simple to understand and mat wrestling applies an offense defense aspect to the sport which is very easily explainable.

If wrestling wants to imrpove ratings the only way to do that is too make folkstyle the olympic form of wrestling plain and simple. yes throws are exciting but how often do they happen, most of the time when i watch freestyle wrestling it ends in a 1-1

A few comments

1. When you are pitting the world's best together scoring will be at a premium, just like how swimming or track events where athletes are separated by tenths or hundredths of a second. If you want to see domination and high scoring matches to to a high school meet.

2. Folkstyle is not without weird hard to explain rules such as: stalling, standing reversals, locking hands, cautions for not lining up properly, etc.

3. Freestyle has three main ways to score points, takedown, push-out and exposure. It should be fairly easy to explain that to someone.

Favorite lousy rule change of all time:

when I was a kid, everyone whined about the USA doing poorly at the Olympics. In 1962 there was the following rule change: 1st takedown 2 points. Every subsequent takedown - 1 point.

That sure helped guys prepare for freestyle wrestling by encouraging them to not do takedowns.

That one lasted one year but it almost cost me a match when I was in 9th grade.

Folkstyle is much easier to understand than freestyle. In freestyle, it's too hard to tell who gets backpoints. Even the refs can't agree half the time.

What would make non-wrestling fanatics tune-in? Push-outs? No. Less mat time? Not quite; look at all the mat time in MMA--people still watch. What people want to see are (1) punches (or kicks) to the face and (2) throws. Obviously this isn't boxing and punches cannot happen. But throws can be made legal. Give 1 point for every throw (whether it results in a takedown or not), and you'll see some excitiment. I can see the NCAA highlight reels now... chock-full of spectacular thows.

Folkstyle is much easier to understand than freestyle. In freestyle, it's too hard to tell who gets backpoints. Even the refs can't agree half the time.

What would make non-wrestling fanatics tune-in? Push-outs? No. Less mat time? Not quite; look at all the mat time in MMA--people still watch. What people want to see are (1) punches (or kicks) to the face and (2) throws. Obviously this isn't boxing and punches cannot happen. But throws can be made legal. Give 1 point for every throw (whether it results in a takedown or not), and you'll see some excitiment. I can see the NCAA highlight reels now... chock-full of spectacular thows.

Define "throw."

Define "throw."

High amplitude throws.

From the NCAA rulebook, Section 5.8 Illegal Holds: "Full back suplay from a rear-standing position." Maybe other types of (high amplitude) throws too, but that's the most obvious one.