Major Kong

Can some one explain to me

how wrestling will ever grow a wider fan base as long as most schools do zero to promote it or provide even the most basic information? I follow Northwestern and subscribe to BTN+, Flo, etc. So I was looking forward to seeing Deakin this year. Uh, no. He's been out so far with no info. as to why of course,  but at least the word on Flo was he'd be back this week. Great, tuned in to watch today, but uh, no again. Not wrestling. No reason why to be found anywhere. Do school SIDs just view wrestling as a niche sport like volleyball or badminton, not worth providing information on? Imagine if the QB for a Big Ten team missed a game - you would not have to wonder why. All the more strange in this day of ridiculously easy instant information disseminatio . Is it some misguided sense of secrecy? Or is it just incompetence and apathy?

I think the reason we know about every hang nail for a football player is the TV contracts. It goes against every coach's instincts (and some privacy laws) to release any information about the status of student athletes. So they don't. The only thing that can trump that Is when the television rights holders negotiate for more transparency. 

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

Well and honestly, I love the sport and wish it wasn’t true but...if a QB for a big ten team wasn’t there people other than just die hard fans would wonder.  Other than us on this form and die hard fans, nobody today was wondering where Ryan Deakin was, so it wasn’t reported.  I wish it wasn’t that way

5 minutes ago, BLT said:

NW passed on a Cannon/RBY match too.

Cannon got hurt in the Indiana match. Not that you would have known if you weren't watching it, because there is no information shared with fans. 

12 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Our sport will continue to decline until it appeals to typical sport fans. 

Agreed. Or until it even strengthens its appeal to casual wrestling fans. Once you or your kid have stopped wrestling, it will  just disappear unless you make an active attempt to follow it. Every business or sport has to connect with it's customers/fans to sustain and build their interest. NCAA wrestling doesn't even try. The fan base is ex-wrestlers or parents of wrestlers. And there's no effort to even retain these. Ryan Deakin is the star of NU wrestling. He's been out all year . He was projected to wrestle yesterday but didn't. Why? Anybody's guess. Want to tune in to a pay service to watch some good duel matchups? Good luck. They will not happen as predicted more often than not. And not a word as to why. It seems like only Flo actually tries to promote wrestling fandom on any level. I guess if there is not profit involved, a sport and its fans are not important. 

Edited by Major Kong
correction

3 minutes ago, Major Kong said:

Agreed. Or until it even strengthens its appeal to casual wrestling fans. Once you or your kid have stopped wrestling, it will  just disappear unless you make an active attempt follow it. Every business or sport has to connect with it's customers/fans to sustain and build their interest. NCAA wrestling doesn't even try. The fan base is ex-wrestlers or parents of wrestlers. And there's no effort to even retain these. Ryan Deakin is the star of NU wrestling. He's been out all year . He was projected to wrestle yesterday but didn't. Why? Anybody's guess. Want to tune in to a pay service to watch some good duel matchups? Good luck. They will not happen as predicted more often than not. And not a word as to why. It seems like only Flo actually tries to promote wrestling fandom on any level. I guess if there is not profit involved, a sport and its fans are not important. 

Was the point of my comment yesterday, agree with you

7 hours ago, Major Kong said:

Agreed. Or until it even strengthens its appeal to casual wrestling fans. Once you or your kid have stopped wrestling, it will  just disappear unless you make an active attempt to follow it. Every business or sport has to connect with it's customers/fans to sustain and build their interest. NCAA wrestling doesn't even try. The fan base is ex-wrestlers or parents of wrestlers. And there's no effort to even retain these. Ryan Deakin is the star of NU wrestling. He's been out all year . He was projected to wrestle yesterday but didn't. Why? Anybody's guess. Want to tune in to a pay service to watch some good duel matchups? Good luck. They will not happen as predicted more often than not. And not a word as to why. It seems like only Flo actually tries to promote wrestling fandom on any level. I guess if there is not profit involved, a sport and its fans are not important. 

Totally agree. More often than not, the marquee matchups don't even occur in the duals. All the more frustrating when you have to pay for subscriptions and go completely out of your way just to figure out how to watch these events.

I'm not as in-tune as others on this board, but the adamant secrecy behind king Cael's program and his success can't be helping the situation either. Seems their secrecy for their programs self-interest is outweighing growth of the sport by means of some sort of transparency and honesty for the fan bases. I recall watching an interview where Pyles asked if there's any chance of pulling some redshirts out of his sleeve and he noticeably was angry with even being asked. Weird. 

Edited by backpack

7 hours ago, backpack said:

Totally agree. More often than not, the marquee matchups don't even occur in the duals. All the more frustrating when you have to pay for subscriptions and go completely out of your way just to figure out how to watch these events.

I'm not as in-tune as others on this board, but the adamant secrecy behind king Cael's program and his success can't be helping the situation either. Seems their secrecy for their programs self-interest is outweighing growth of the sport by means of some sort of transparency and honesty for the fan bases. I recall watching an interview where Pyles asked if there's any chance of pulling some redshirts out of his sleeve and he noticeably was angry with even being asked. Weird. 

Agree about Sanderson. 

Edited by gowrestle

12 hours ago, backpack said:

The interview where Cael asked Pyles, "Why? Do you have a plan?"