Gantry

Rutgers vs Purdue vs Minnesota tri meet

I take full credit for lighting a fire under the rodents tail. These victories were 10% eggum, 20% the team and 70% me for calling them out for being bad vs Iowa. No need to celebrate me though..

Heffernan waiting for Perry to give them that Iowa bump as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rutgers all in all had a good weekend. They lost the duals, but duals don’t matter for ncaas. 

Rutgers looked pretty bare in the preseason, but looks better now. 

149 - got a ranked win. The 1-3 record is due to quality of opponents, and he was in every match. I think he will qualify. 

157 - similar to 149. 1-3 with a ranked win and 3 ranked losses. He was in every match. I think he will qualify. 

174 - really impressive. Grello got hurt, and Turley stepped up. He dominated top 10 Allar Just crushed him. Emil Souflan (sp?) is a solid win too. Not only will he qualify, but I think he can AA if he can shore up his defense a bit. Guys who can get in on legs and have top games tend to do well in tournaments. Really impressed 

184 - super impressive. He lost the Webster match, but Is pick him in a rematch. Great match from both guys. He also picked up another ranked win over Lyon. Qualifier and potential AA. He has less than 10 college matches. He is going to improve. 

197 - Janzer needs to adjust to the weight, but based on what I hear from the room, he is doing great. Qualifier and fringe AA contender. 

Rutgers didn’t have a lot of proven guys in the lineup, and didn’t have that many high recruits starting either. This season looked like their worst in a long time. Now?

I think they will have 7 qualifiers (not 125, 165, or hvwt) and up to 5 AAs (likely 2-3). 

With the way qualification is this year, one loss could be devastating in the Big10. This could harm lower tier Big10 teams especially, which will be bad for Rutgers. 

I’ll Have to politely disagree With you 184 analysis, Owen Webster was not pushed around by all the ranked guys yesterday, and I have a feeling yesterday’s results will be the same next time ,as he matures this year. 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

174 - really impressive. Grello got hurt, and Turley stepped up. He dominated top 10 Allar Just crushed him. Emil Souflan (sp?) is a solid win too. Not only will he qualify, but I think he can AA if he can shore up his defense a bit. Guys who can get in on legs and have top games tend to do well in tournaments. Really impressed 

Someone has Allar ranked top 10?  That's crazy, WrestleStat has him in the 30s, which to me is more accurate.  He hasn't been to NCAAs and only wrestled 3 matches last year, going 1-2 at the Midlands.  Don't see a top30 win in his entire career either, at least according to WrestleStat rankings.

Edited by Gantry

20 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Someone has Allar ranked top 10?  That's crazy, WrestleStat has him in the 30s, which to me is more accurate.  He hasn't been to NCAAs and only wrestled 3 matches last year, going 1-2 at the Midlands.  Don't see a top30 win in his entire career either, at least according to WrestleStat rankings.

Allar was ranked 13-16 depending on ranking service.  He got a big bump by beating Drew Hughes.

Aha, I see.  Hughes isn't looking too lights out at 174, he relies so much on riding via length and he loses some of that with the weight bump.   So his overranking led to Allar's overranking - makes sense but things should start to even out here shortly with more results.

Edited by Gantry

6 hours ago, grappler6 said:

Heffernan waiting for Perry to give them that Iowa bump as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember a week ago it was fun to be an IL fan and live in the clouds for a moment

19 hours ago, headshuck said:

Lots of extra-curriculars from McDurmott but Steveson somehow keeps his cool for the tech and the Gophers go 2-0 on the day.

I was literally laughing out loud during this match with McDermott trying to bait Gable and then when Steveson runs off the mat after it was over.    Last TD definitely had some oomph but kudos to Gable for keeping his cool.

2 hours ago, Gantry said:

Aha, I see.  Hughes isn't looking too lights out at 174, he relies so much on riding via length and he loses some of that with the weight bump.   So his overranking led to Allar's overranking - makes sense but things should start to even out here shortly with more results.

Yeah Allar was ranked too highly. He has never given up a tech though, even against Kemerer. 

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I was literally laughing out loud during this match with McDermott trying to bait Gable and then when Steveson runs off the mat after it was over.    Last TD definitely had some oomph but kudos to Gable for keeping his cool.

Gable handled it perfectly. He responded by smashing the guy into the mat (legally) in the next takedown, and then leaving. 

Beautifully done

3 hours ago, southend said:

I’ll Have to politely disagree With you 184 analysis, Owen Webster was not pushed around by all the ranked guys yesterday, and I have a feeling yesterday’s results will be the same next time ,as he matures this year. 

Fair enough. I hope they hit at Big10s