lurshy92

College wrestlers getting married

I am a pretty successful guy in my late 20s working and living in NYC, and originally from Long Island.

Maybe it is just a different lifestyle/mentality that i am not accustom to, but how/why are do many college wrestlers get married/start families while in college. For the average person college is supposed to be about living it up, making mistakes and learning who are you. How can so many young men know who they are/ when they have not entered the real world? is this just something that happens more in big ten world? does religion come into play in order to "make love?" How was Bo Jordan able to support multiple kids while being a college athlete? Not trolling truly curious as too why this is.

With being held back, grey shirts, redshirts, Olympic redshirts, and injury redshirts, some of these guy are solidly in their mid 20's by the time they hang it up. Now we can add covid free year to the timeline. 

2 hours ago, lurshy92 said:

I am a pretty successful guy in my late 20s working and living in NYC, and originally from Long Island.

Maybe it is just a different lifestyle/mentality that i am not accustom to, but how/why are do many college wrestlers get married/start families while in college. For the average person college is supposed to be about living it up, making mistakes and learning who are you. How can so many young men know who they are/ when they have not entered the real world? is this just something that happens more in big ten world? does religion come into play in order to "make love?" How was Bo Jordan able to support multiple kids while being a college athlete? Not trolling truly curious as too why this is.

Just because they get married young does not mean they know themselves. I think very few people in their early 20s really know themselves or have perspective when it comes to life. 

The guys that get married that young will probably still make plenty of mistakes, they’ll just be married when they do it.

Edited by BuckyBadger

Some knew their spouse from childhood, and seemed to know that was the person for them.  That doesn't appear to have changed over the past few decades (e.g. Mark Churella, Lincoln McIlravy, Alex Marinelli), and doesn't appear to have had a negative impact on their college wrestling careers.

Getting married in college in general has its pros and cons, but I would think that then having kids in college, especially when having as big a commitment as wrestling, would make things far more difficult and stressful.

3 hours ago, go_rines12 said:

All the good girls get married young. Most guys do not want the local bar lizards when they are 30 and unmarried, and rightfully so. Seeing the big picture is key rather than living in the moment

How old are you? 

3 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

I think it’s a regional thing and is more common in the culture of the rural-midwest than East Coast. Probably a combination of that and religion. 

As someone from the midwest, I don't think this is true at all. I think the number of married college (NCAA eligible aged) students is extremely low and not at all prevalent in the midwest. I do believe religion would be the biggest factor in college students getting married and having kids. The good books says you can't bump uglies without that piece of paper.

2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

By the time my wife and I had been married nearly 20 years our single female friends said all the good guys were taken and our single male friends said all the girls left were neurotic. 

TBar over here surrounded by bad dudes and neurotic ladies.

What current notable wrestlers are married?   I can only think of Marinelli & Kaleb Young (not to each other of course, NTTAWWT).

PSU didn’t have many guys get married while in college did they?  I know a bunch of them got married right after college though (when they get access to the slush fund so they can actually afford a real ring?? I kid)

I never understood the rationale that you can’t get married during college. If two college students have been in a healthy relationship for a while and they already know they want to get married... why should they wait til after graduation? Money is a poor excuse because it’s usually cheaper to buy things together than it is buy them separately. Now kids are a different story... they are expensive and I understand waiting until you have an income. 

I’ll chime in here, I waited , and even tried to wait more. She said this year (40 years ago) or hit the highway! Well 3 kids later, and a lifetime of misery for 15 minutes of pleasure (5 minutes for each kid) here I am. We only did it 3 times. 
life is wonderful. No bad time to get married, The same can’t be said about having children. 

18 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Getting married in your early twenties is a pretty healthy decision. The modern idea that we should extend our adolescence in our mid 30s is not a recipe for a happy life.  

This message brought to you by the Divorce Attorneys' Association of America.