hammerlockthree

The ref in Iowa Illinois match sucked

42 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

He called a totally bogus pin for Lee, and almost let the kid wrestled who desanto break his spine.....

It's Frost and yes he sucks, Lee pin was quick but he likely gets it anyway. He might have missed calling one in the next match, Byrd did a bridge on his own, nothing to do with Desanto. It did not look as bad on replay as live.

1 hour ago, BLT said:

It's Frost and yes he sucks, Lee pin was quick but he likely gets it anyway. He might have missed calling one in the next match, Byrd did a bridge on his own, nothing to do with Desanto. It did not look as bad on replay as live.

Yep it wasn't nearly as bad looking on replay. Byrd basically just went into a high bridge.

Honestly thought Byrd should have gotten an escape plus the TD considering when the ref called the stoppage. I agree calling a stop to the action to check on ADS (unlike when they saved him vs rby in last years dual) but Byrd was already locking up control when it was stopped. 

I didn't see this match, but the wrestling has been as sloppy as the officiating across D1.  These guys need reps just like the wrestlers do, and they are further disadvantaged by not having a practice room to knock the rust off.  These early reps are usually achieved on the tournament/open circuit in the fall, where they can get a great volume of work over a handful of long days.

I think these guys will be sharper as we go, an observation that applies to officials and athletes alike, in this season like none before.

What I'm noticing is refs out of position which makes them miss a call or make a bad one.Theyre just a littler slow to the position which is just from rust.I feel bad for them all they would need is 1 open tournament to knock the rust off.Hard to stay sharp doing 10-20 matches a week for only a few weeks

Anybody catch the illegal move they called on Red in the Wisc-Neb match? What was this call? Looks like the classic Ed Ruth crossface cradle to me. I get some saying rust and being slow to get in position, but there have also been a ton of just completely puzzling calls that have nothing to do with that. I also don't recognize a lot of these guys. Are they having to call up guys from lower levels because of travel issues?

Edited by uncle bernard

3 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Anybody catch the illegal move they called on Red in the Wisc-Neb match? What was this call? Looks like the classic Ed Ruth crossface cradle to me.

That did confuse me as to why it was called, but given that Manning didn't argue much makes me think it was something legit. 

5 minutes ago, calot said:

Not sure and that was 1 all day

That call probably changed that match. Carter could have changed it himself simply be getting a 3rd period TD, although that was made more difficult by the IU wrestler putting on a tour de france worthy bicycle exhibition in period 3. 

46 minutes ago, calot said:

Not sure and that was 1 all day

Disagree. There was only a split second of separation such that they can't call the 1 with a 2 coming up. But by the time the scenario ended red was back with some degree of control. It might have been 2 for reversal- maybe maybe not.

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

How does this ref not see Starocci's ESC at the 3:28 mark of this video? 

Impressed by Washington and Starocci had nothing in the 3rd.  Very surprised for a Cael coached guy.  It looked like Wash took as many shots as Starocci in crunch time.

27 minutes ago, Sstern said:

Impressed by Washington and Starocci had nothing in the 3rd.  Very surprised for a Cael coached guy.  It looked like Wash took as many shots as Starocci in crunch time.

Starocci was very underwhelming this weekend after all the hype this past year. I'm going to assume he wasn't in top form and he'll be better going forward. However, his best folkstyle win is 3-2 over Ben Harvey, so maybe he's just a bit overhyped. I didn't see anything in his style this weekend that screamed future transcendent guy. He looked like he did in high school, a very solid grinder/control wrestler who got out skilled against IU.

He had some good showings in freestyle, but that doesn't always translate. Jacob Warner looked like a guy who would be a perennial title contender and go on to make world teams during his freestyle run before entering the Iowa lineup. While he's been good and an AA, he's not who his freestyle results would have suggested. For a reverse case, RBY had a rough summer of freestyle and then showed up last year having made a huge jump. 

7 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Starocci was very underwhelming this weekend after all the hype this past year. I'm going to assume he wasn't in top form and he'll be better going forward. However, his best folkstyle win is 3-2 over Ben Harvey, so maybe he's just a bit overhyped. I didn't see anything in his style this weekend that screamed future transcendent guy. He looked like he did in high school, a very solid grinder/control wrestler who got out skilled against IU.

He had some good showings in freestyle, but that doesn't always translate. Jacob Warner looked like a guy who would be a perennial title contender and go on to make world teams during his freestyle run before entering the Iowa lineup. While he's been good and an AA, he's not who his freestyle results would have suggested. For a reverse case, RBY had a rough summer of freestyle and then showed up last year having made a huge jump. 

He did look flat compared to both prior free and some folk matches from last year where he had a very aggressive attitude. Chalking it up to the layoff. There is a reason people are excited about him.