Sign in to follow this  
aknipp

Nebraska Wiscy

Much closer than expected, NU won 125, 141, 165 (pin), 174, 197 (TF) and 285. NU must have been penalized 2 points as the score was 21-15. Headgear or excessive celebrating? 

The final was Christian Lance over Trent Hilger with an SV take down. 

Ouch for Bucky! Close, but no cigar...and Hilger not performing up to expectations. A long ride home. And too, the Badger's sat their 125 pounder Barrett after he knocked off Schroeder from Purdue just the other day (but he did wrestle in one of the exhibition matches)...and the WI back up almost pulled off a win. Trying to preserve seeds for the Big Ten? Geeezzz. While a handful of Badgers did a great job, its a shame some questionable efforts/decision making by the coaches put this one in the loss column for Bucky. Unless one doesn't care because it is only a meaningless dual meet...but then don't expect fans to care, either.

Edited by npope

I don't think that the decision to start Rotondo was all that controversial, he has a win over Brandon Courtney (ranked third at 125 per Intermat) in freestyle that is very recent and is comparable to Barnett in skill imo, he has improved considerably since his freshman year and the Badgers have a lot of depth at that weight. I don't think Barnetts results would have been all that different, Rotondo wrestled Cronin tough. I don't think that the coaching staff was trying to preserve seeds as much as they were trying to give Rotondo an opportunity to prove himself in a big time match.

49 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Nebraska's bench and especially coaching staff have admirable passion, but man they are obnoxious 24/7 during duals running around and screaming like lunatics.  Dial it down a notch boys...

I have to agree.  Happened last year as well, losing 2 team points against OSU. This time it could have cost the meet. 

56 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Nebraska's bench and especially coaching staff have admirable passion, but man they are obnoxious 24/7 during duals running around and screaming like lunatics.  Dial it down a notch boys...

Big Brothers to the East used to do this all the time a few years back. And was pretty intertaining. Penn st. And Illinois coaches pretty boring.  

On 2/1/2021 at 8:34 AM, Gantry said:

Lot of emotions, and all fired up, as they were honoring, and celebrating the life of a team mate killed in an auto accident in the fall.

Edited by Coachp

12 minutes ago, Gantry said:

They do that every dual, heck every match.  I am not faulting their passion but they are consistently over the top and obnoxious.

It is especially over the top when they wrestle Iowa...then you have both sides going crazy and jawing back and forth...not sure which side is worse?!?!

2 minutes ago, Henry said:

The sideline behavior of many coaches (pouting, whining, complaining, etc) seems contrary to the characteristics they attempt to instill in their athletes. 

Ditto with the mask behavior.  Keep it on, KEEP IT OVER YOUR NOSE when you are yelling at the ref and sharing your hot air with everyone.  It's infuriating...

I never understood coaches going after each other based on the action of a match.  I understand being in the heat of the moment, and getting excited about what is going on in the match and/or a call a ref makes, but it seems like coaches start jawing at each other because of a bad call or an illegal call...so weird to me having been a coach.  Who knows...maybe the coaches are going after each other because one of them says something about their wrestler...that I get

On 2/1/2021 at 9:34 AM, Gantry said:

To be fair, this was a dual in honor of a teammate who died. They were bound to be emotional 

Edit: read the rest of the thread, and this has been addressed

Edited by Housebuye

21 hours ago, Gantry said:

They do that every dual, heck every match.  I am not faulting their passion but they are consistently over the top and obnoxious.

I see your other post now. 

fair enough. They are a bit wild. I don’t ever see them cross a line though. This type of passion is a good thing. It makes it more fun to watch. 

Somet I’ms I root against them, just so I can see their bench flip out. Usually I want them to win though

21 hours ago, dman115 said:

I never understood coaches going after each other based on the action of a match.  I understand being in the heat of the moment, and getting excited about what is going on in the match and/or a call a ref makes, but it seems like coaches start jawing at each other because of a bad call or an illegal call...so weird to me having been a coach.  Who knows...maybe the coaches are going after each other because one of them says something about their wrestler...that I get

They don’t really do it post match most of the time. Some of the coaches legitimately talk crap about each other, but so many of them are friends that it is mostly gamesmanship. 

Coleman Scott and John Smith get into yelling matches, but Coleman also considers John his hero/mentor. 

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

fair enough. They are a bit wild. I don’t ever see them cross a line though. This type of passion is a good thing. It makes it more fun to watch.

They literally had a team point taken away in said dual for crossing the line.  Again passion is good (see my comments about Schwab and Davis) but there are better ways to behave and be more respectful towards officials and your opponents.   

6 hours ago, Gantry said:

They literally had a team point taken away in said dual for crossing the line.  Again passion is good (see my comments about Schwab and Davis) but there are better ways to behave and be more respectful towards officials and your opponents.   

No they had 2 points taken away.  And this happened last year, a close win over OSU.  I like passion, but you cannot continue to give away 2 points against B1G competition and hope to win. Luckily it has not come back to bite NU.