irani

If the Olympics really take place

40 minutes ago, irani said:

Who is your pick for most likely to win a gold Medal in Freestyle Wrestling?

In my admittedly biased view :  

57 kg Ugaev Rus

65 kg Ottogruo Jap.

74 kg Dake USA

86 kg Taylor USA

97 kg Sadulaev Rus

125 kg Steveson USA

No doubt Sadulaev.  On American team I lean Taylor but I’m worried that he isn’t smashing all the other Americans like he used to.  After that I go Burroughs/Dake. Whoever reps us there at 74kg.

12 hours ago, lu1979 said:

In my admittedly biased view :  

57 kg Ugaev Rus

65 kg Ottogruo Jap.

74 kg Dake USA

86 kg Taylor USA

97 kg Sadulaev Rus

125 kg Steveson USA

Very bold choice at 125 kg!

Also bold at 74 kg, although I think US is favored in 74, I am not convinced it will be Dake

I think it is legitimately David Taylor.  Imho, he has a bigger edge over HYC than the tank has over Cox or Akgul has over Geno, and I don't think there is anyone in the other weights who are favored to be finalists, tbh. maybe Uguev, but I feel like there is always a Japanese lightweight who I haven't been paying attention to but shows up big in the Games, and that would presumably be moreso if it happens in Tokyo.

12 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

I think it is legitimately David Taylor.  Imho, he has a bigger edge over HYC than the tank has over Cox or Akgul has over Geno, and I don't think there is anyone in the other weights who are favored to be finalists, tbh. maybe Uguev, but I feel like there is always a Japanese lightweight who I haven't been paying attention to but shows up big in the Games, and that would presumably be moreso if it happens in Tokyo.

This.  I don't think you can put any other Americans on the list since Taylor is really the only one that's a clear favorite to make the team, let alone win it.

2 hours ago, irani said:

Mine is Sadulaev as well.  The man hast lost once in the Olympics and world championships.  

Well that's not true - You obviously missed the 2017 WC Finals where Sadulaev got the Silver. :)  Maybe you meant to say has only lost once - which would be correct

Edited by lu1979

26 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Well that's not true - You obviously missed the 2017 WC Finals where Sadulaev got the Silver. :)  Maybe you meant to say has only lost once - which would be correct

Huh?  Isn’t that what he said?  

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

correct, he has lost only once in the WC or Olympics.  That is what I meant to state and I thought I stated

3 hours ago, nom said:

No doubt Sadulaev.  On American team I lean Taylor but I’m worried that he isn’t smashing all the other Americans like he used to.  After that I go Burroughs/Dake. Whoever reps us there at 74kg.

Did you not see what he did to Myles Martin? He broke him like a first-season jv kid going against a state champ for his very first match. That was an extremely impressive win. Dean received quite a bit of coaching from Dake to keep it close and I doubt the margin between Dean and Taylor will be within 6 points ever again. Again, not a knock on Dean just gives props for Taylor being on another level.

The Dean match factors in.  And his back pedaling near end V Burroughs also comes to mind . I’m not sure he has the ass Whooping machine mindset he had in past couple of years.  I could be grasping at air here and would be happy to find that I am.  I’m a big fan.

In my mind for US, 57, 65, 74, 97, 120 all could and should medal.  84 with Taylor should gold.  I think possible golds are 74 and 97, with an outside shot with 65.  And I think it will be JB at 74 and KS at 97. 

mspart

In my mind for US, 57, 65, 74, 97, 120 all could and should medal.  84 with Taylor should gold.  I think possible golds are 74 and 97, with an outside shot with 65.  And I think it will be JB at 74 and KS at 97. 
mspart
Lets get 65 qualified first before we start talking about medaling at the most competitive weight class in the world.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Lets get 65 qualified first before we start talking about medaling at the most competitive weight class in the world.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Seriously! Put some respect on 65; there will be previous champs or medalists who go 0-1 there. Anyone who we send, if we send anyone, is a long shot to medal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, with the right draw, we could medal at any weight. But the only weights we should medal at are 74, 86, and 97. I'm not sure you can even say we should get 65 qualified. The qualifier is going to be brutal. And if we do qualify 65, we do not have an outside shot at gold. Gold is a very long shot at that weight. I would say 57 has a better chance, and perhaps 120 if Gable makes the team and has had some kind of crazy jump, but I don't see it.

Edited by Crotalus

15 hours ago, nom said:

And his back pedaling near end V Burroughs also comes to mind 

I was impressed by that strategy. Young Taylor would have tried to make a statement and could have had a Gilman a la Deglane moment at the end, but veteran Taylor took the win that was presented to him. Plus it's not exactly like JB is a slouch - he is a combined 30 seconds from two more world golds and that match would have had seriously different connotations.

19 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

I think it is legitimately David Taylor.  Imho, he has a bigger edge over HYC than the tank has over Cox 

Matchups make matches and I think Cox can beat Sadulaev but he has to get there first. I say that because I also think that Snyder made the best coaching move to beat Cox and Sadulaev so we may literally never get the opportunity to see Cox/Sad which would be a shame.

It would be sad not to see Cox/Sad, but I think Snyder will be there and he is at the very least, the 3rd best 97 in the world.  I think it will be Snyder at 97 for WC and Olympics.  I just don't think Cox will make it.  But predictions have been wrong and that is why they wrestle it out.  The best man will go no doubt. 

Regarding 65, I think Yianni will be our representative at both also.  I believe he has the wherewithall to medal. 

mspart