TBar1977

Iowa at PSU Feb. 12 at 9pm ET on BTN

7 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

133 pound desanto is a toss up with Nick Lee ? Have you gone mad? Idk if I’d even call him and Rby a toss up anymore 

Yes it is a tossup.  And the RBY match absolutely is a tossup.  You must not actually watch wrestling.

11 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

I think it goes favorite psu, tossup, favorite psu, favorite iowa, favorite psu, favorite psu as opposed to guaranteed 5+, tossup, tossup, favorite iowa, tossup, favorite psu. Not only do you miss Lee's bonus (which is basically like an extra win), you put all of your guys at their non ideal weights. They would still have to weigh in pretty close to their normal class. This isn't high school. You can't give up that kind of weight like that. Look at Rivera bumping against Micic two years ago.

It negates the pretty sure Lee win at 165, though.

I'm not crazy here, guys.  Wrestlestat, which is only ratings, sure, has it 20-12 for Iowa with giving a decision to Howard.  Ybarra could flip that match(they have history).

With Kelly in at 165 instead of the Bull they have it 19-16 for Iowa.  That is pretty tight.

3 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Calling N. Lee vs DeSanto a toss-up is giving DeSanto credit for things he hasn't done. Doesn't mean he couldn't win, just that Lee is a definite favorite by any definition.

I think Lee is a distinct favorite in that match up (more because of combining size and style than because of anything else), but Desanto is getting credit for things he has done.  Wins over Micic, Suriano, and Gross are all awesome wins, and at least as good as any wins Lee has.

Edited by VakAttack

Just now, IronChef said:

Calling N. Lee vs DeSanto a toss-up is giving DeSanto credit for things he hasn't done. Doesn't mean he couldn't win, just that Lee is a definite favorite by any definition.

Calling Lee a definitive favorite is giving him credit for what he hasn't done, either.  How can you justify it one way but not the other?

It is also known that the first time Desanto gets his hands on people, that his grip strength is startling.  Also Lee isn't breaking Desanto with his pace.

Wrestlestat has 9-6 in favor of Lee, which I am okay with.  Saying he is undoubtedly a favorite I think is stretching it and a bit of reverse-bias.  Like folks are looking to say no to Desanto because he is the universal heel.  They have common opponents with similar results.  They both have one loss to a common opponent in Pletcher, where they both lost by one point.

C'mon guys.  It isn't stupid, let alone crazy.

6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Calling Lee a definitive favorite is giving him credit for what he hasn't done, either.  How can you justify it one way but not the other?

It is also known that the first time Desanto gets his hands on people, that his grip strength is startling.  Also Lee isn't breaking Desanto with his pace.

Wrestlestat has 9-6 in favor of Lee, which I am okay with.  Saying he is undoubtedly a favorite I think is stretching it and a bit of reverse-bias.  Like folks are looking to say no to Desanto because he is the universal heel.  They have common opponents with similar results.  They both have one loss to a common opponent in Pletcher, where they both lost by one point.

Yes it is. 

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

The contra argument to the Pletcher data point that I would make is that everyone acknowledges that 2019/2020 Pletcher could beat pre-2019/2020 Pletcher. Pletcher himself talks about the differences often. Between the weight cut being difficult and some sports psychology stuff (I confess I cannot recall the details), he thought he had made a significant leap last year.

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from my son. A friend was introduced to my adult son. The friend looked at me, then looked at him, then looked back at me and said, "he looks like he could kick your butt". I acknowledged that we crossed over that river when he started lifting weights in high school for football. My son got a far away look in his eyes and said ruefully, "yeah, high school me could kick my butt too."

6 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Listed below are the number of matches wrestled by each team's starter. Redshirt years not counted because they are not quite the same thing experience wise. With the unreal difference in experience this should be a blowout win for Iowa. I guess time will tell. 

125     Spencer Lee 71, Robbie Howard 0

133     Austin DeSanto 90, RBY 56

141     Jaydin Eierman 108,Nick Lee 98

149     Max Murin 49, PSU has Verkleeren 47 OR Barraclough 2 OR Bartlett 0

157     Kaleb Young 70, Brady Berge 29

165     Marinelli 77, Joe Lee 2

174     Kemerer 84, Carter Starocci 3

184     Brands 16, Aaron Brooks 18

197     Warner 55, Beard 0

Hwt     Cassioppi 24, Kerkvliet 0 OR Nevills 19

All these replies and no predictions?

125 Lee fall Shunk 6-0 Iowa

133 RBY dec Desanto 6-3

141 Lee dec Eierman 6-6

149 Murin dec ??? 9-6

157 Young dec Berge 12-6

165 Marinelli maj Lee 16-6

174 Kemerer dec Starocci 19-6

184 Brooks dec Brands 19-9

197 Warner dec Beard 22-9

285 Cassiopi dec Nevills 25-9

When was the last time PSU lost that bad?  Although wonder if Marinelli wrestles.

125:  Lee FALL Howard

133:  Desanto DEC RBY

141:  Lee DEC Eierman

149:  Murin DEC

157:  Young DEC Berge

165:  Marinelli MDEC Lee

174:  Kemerer DEC Starocci

184:  Brooks MDEC Brands

197:  Warner DEC Beard

HW:  Cassioppi DEC Nevills

48 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

125:  Lee FALL Howard

133:  Desanto DEC RBY

141:  Lee DEC Eierman

149:  Murin DEC

157:  Young DEC Berge

165:  Marinelli MDEC Lee

174:  Kemerer DEC Starocci

184:  Brooks MDEC Brands

197:  Warner DEC Beard

HW:  Cassioppi DEC Nevills

That looks about right ... but if it were in CHA Eierman would also win. ;)

5 hours ago, IronChef said:

I think Lee is a big favorite there, but Desanto tends to do much better the first time he wrestles someone.  RBY, Micic, Suriano, etc. Tough to prepare for that grip unless you have felt it, I think.

Based on recent events, what is the likelihood that we even see Howard, Beard, Marinelli at this dual? Brands alluded to the 17 day protocol in the post match interview but didn't specify when that count started for Marinelli. As for the PSU guys, I don't prowl the nittany message boards so I'm not sure if any additional info has been shared by the staff regarding their lineup. Maybe more informed posters can chime in?

1 hour ago, CTMopar said:

How good is Mr. Bartlett...Mr. N. Lee may not have a choice and 149 is his only option...For this dual that would make sense either way!!!

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

The consensus on BWI is that Mr. Lee > Mr. Bartlett and Mr. Bartlett needs to think about 149 this year.

That said, it seems Mr. Bartlett is interested in 141 and unseating Mr. Lee. This weekend he wrestled 3 side matches at 141 while Mr. Lee wrestled the 2 that counted toward the dual scores.

At the same time, Mr. Sanderson is quoted as saying, "We have Nick Lee and Beau Bartlett both at 141 right now and both, obviously, are really good wrestlers ... and potentially we may need to get both those guys in the line-up."

That can be read as Mr. Blank, needs to take one for the team and move up to an uncomfortable weight. How you fill in that blank is anyone's guess.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

Based on recent events, what is the likelihood that we even see Howard, Beard, Marinelli at this dual? Brands alluded to the 17 day protocol in the post match interview but didn't specify when that count started for Marinelli. As for the PSU guys, I don't prowl the nittany message boards so I'm not sure if any additional info has been shared by the staff regarding their lineup. Maybe more informed posters can chime in?

I do prowl and they have nothing there either.

The PSU staff is notoriously tight lipped, not a ton of outsider leaks either.  Me reading the tea leaves makes me think since they had Howard travel (and likely weigh in) makes me think he'll be back sooner rather than later. 

125: PSU forfeit 

133: RBY dec Desanto

141: Lee dec Eierman

149: Murin dec Bartlett 

157: Tossup

165: Lee dec Iowa backup

174: Kemerer dec Starocci 

184: Brooks majors Brands/Assad/whatever other bum they throw out there

197: If Beard goes, tossup

HWT: Cass dec Nevills

2 hours ago, AHamilton said:

I think Lee is a big favorite there, but Desanto tends to do much better the first time he wrestles someone.  RBY, Micic, Suriano, etc. Tough to prepare for that grip unless you have felt it, I think.

Not a competitive match--too big a size difference.  RBY broke him the last time they wrestled.  Nick would break Austin even worse.

Nick Lee would major or tech Desanto. If he gets on top, Desanto isn't getting away. 

Just like Aaron Brooks would major or tech Kemerer. Brooks is as good of a wrestler as Kemerer is, right now, and is stronger, longer, and faster. 

It's not like this is Jordan Burroughs up against David Taylor; those two are hardly once in a lifetime talent that can go up a weight class and be competitive. Sorry, not happening. 

The only two who would have a good shot at winning are Spencer Lee against RBY and Eierman against whoever PSU throws out at 149.

7 hours ago, Le duke said:

Nick Lee would major or tech Desanto. If he gets on top, Desanto isn't getting away. 

Just like Aaron Brooks would major or tech Kemerer. Brooks is as good of a wrestler as Kemerer is, right now, and is stronger, longer, and faster. 

It's not like this is Jordan Burroughs up against David Taylor; those two are hardly once in a lifetime talent that can go up a weight class and be competitive. Sorry, not happening. 

The only two who would have a good shot at winning are Spencer Lee against RBY and Eierman against whoever PSU throws out at 149.

Brooks isn't teching Kemerer.