Sign in to follow this  
A Bigtime Fan

Myrtle Beach College Wrestling Tournament

A good friend of mine owns a live event company (concerts and sports) and he just posted that he has partnered with the tourism department in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to start a new college wrestling tournament at the Convention Center.  It will be a weekend of both men's and women's duals and weight class.  I have been to MB many times on Spring Break.  Great destination.  Convention Center is downtown (I have not been to it) and a few blocks from ocean.  Apparently they already have commitments from top teams and they are putting money into making it a big event.  They are going to have a golf package for the fans.  I have followed college wrestling for 30 years and, outside of Vegas, is there ever any tournaments in vacation destinations? Looking forward to this! It is called the Brawl at the Beach. I don't have any more information than this but sounds awesome.

13 hours ago, A Bigtime Fan said:

A good friend of mine owns a live event company (concerts and sports) and he just posted that he has partnered with the tourism department in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to start a new college wrestling tournament at the Convention Center.  It will be a weekend of both men's and women's duals and weight class.  I have been to MB many times on Spring Break.  Great destination.  Convention Center is downtown (I have not been to it) and a few blocks from ocean.  Apparently they already have commitments from top teams and they are putting money into making it a big event.  They are going to have a golf package for the fans.  I have followed college wrestling for 30 years and, outside of Vegas, is there ever any tournaments in vacation destinations? Looking forward to this! It is called the Brawl at the Beach. I don't have any more information than this but sounds awesome.

South Beach Duals, and (for one year) Aloha Open?

19 hours ago, A Bigtime Fan said:

I was in MB this past June, and the downtown was off-limits by 7:00pm.  Policie barricades, etc.  This wasn't just the BLM stuff, locals said there was a lot of gang-related violence downtown, and they did not want tourists caught up in it.

I was in MB in June (5-14) on a 10-day golf excursion.  Did not hear a word about this?  There is also no real "downtown". The beach is about 60-miles long.  Regardless, I am down for golf and wrestling.  You don't have to go.  I doubt the city will care either way. 

8 hours ago, A Bigtime Fan said:

I was in MB in June (5-14) on a 10-day golf excursion.  Did not hear a word about this?  There is also no real "downtown". The beach is about 60-miles long.  Regardless, I am down for golf and wrestling.  You don't have to go.  I doubt the city will care either way. 

I was there the last week of June.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/south-carolina-rushes-to-tamp-down-violence-in-myrtle-beach-1498910401

Edited by jchapman

Myrtle Beach hosted Super 32s in late October of 2020 and it was excellent. most everything was open but operating at about 50% capacity, social distancing rules in place, masks indoors. no noticeable violence or danger of any kind but its a big place and we only stayed in a small corner of the city so ymmv. Would enjoy going back for another event for sure. 

9 hours ago, jchapman said:

You claim that you were there in June and this happened and yet that article is from 2017.  Not sure what your issue is but, like I said, they won't miss your negativity. I know we would be there and hope they get some great matchups.

21 minutes ago, A Bigtime Fan said:

You claim that you were there in June and this happened and yet that article is from 2017.  Not sure what your issue is but, like I said, they won't miss your negativity. I know we would be there and hope they get some great matchups.

Whoops, my Google skills need work.  My issue is there was violence, including multiple murders, in downtown MB around the time I was there.  It was barricaded at night, so tourists wouldn’t get caught up in it.  I’m only stating facts, if you see the facts as “my” negativity, then you have a warped sense of blame.

Someone mentioned Super 32 was hosted there in October, so it looks like the downtown was opened back up to tourists.

How’s this work?

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2020/05/25/myrtle-beach-speaks-out-recent-shootings-gang-violence/

Edited by jchapman

12 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Whoops, my Google skills need work.  My issue is there was violence, including multiple murders, in downtown MB around the time I was there.  It was barricaded at night, so tourists wouldn’t get caught up in it.  I’m only stating facts, if you see the facts as “my” negativity, then you have a warped sense of blame.

How’s this work?

https://www.wmbfnews.com/2020/05/25/myrtle-beach-speaks-out-recent-shootings-gang-violence/

That article is from May.  If you read it, it says that all the incidents were not locals and they responded.  I was there on my golf vacation right after that article was written and there were no issues and no streets closed.  Clearly you are trying to make some sort of point.  Maybe we should all head to Dade County and South Beach and check out the crime? The point is there are very few places that are actual destinations for wrestling.  You are trying to make some sort of point about Myrtle Beach and I am just saying I have been there dozens of times and never saw a thing unless it was biker week.  

Edited by A Bigtime Fan

3 minutes ago, A Bigtime Fan said:

That article is from May.  If you read it, it says that all the incidents were not locals and they responded.  I was there on my golf vacation right after that article was written and there were no issues and no streets closed.  Clearly you are trying to make some sort of point.  Maybe we should all head to Dade County and South Beach and check out the crime? The point is there are very few places that are actual destinations for wrestling.  You are trying to make some sort of point about Myrtle Beach and I am just saying I have been there dozens of times and never saw a thing unless it was biker week.  

Yes, I read the article.  And I was there a month after it was written.  And there were streets closed. 

Edited by jchapman

On 2/1/2021 at 8:49 PM, A Bigtime Fan said:

I have followed college wrestling for 30 years and, outside of Vegas, is there ever any tournaments in vacation destinations?

Wilkes Open. If you  are more into Skiing and Gambling and Railroads than the beach.

On 2/1/2021 at 6:49 PM, A Bigtime Fan said:

South Beach Duals and Reno come to mind.  Myrtle Beach sounds great!

12 hours ago, RichB said:

Wilkes Open. If you  are more into Skiing and Gambling and Railroads than the beach.

I have not been! That sounds great.  Any links?  I would be down for this.  We have a group of about 12 of us that travel together!

2 hours ago, A Bigtime Fan said:

I have been to Reno....wasn't really impressed with the city.  Now if they had a tournament in Lake Tahoe....

2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Image result for wrestling on the water

LOL -  Hard to hold the tournament in the lake. It is chilly up there and I think it gets deep pretty fast.

I lost count of how many times I have been to that tournament.  Reno is not great, but not that bad.  Good all you can eat sushi, decent bars, gambling next to John Smith.  The tournament occupies most of the time, but if you stay beyond it or your kid is 2 and Q, Lake Tahoe is a great destination.