Sign in to follow this  
hammer

USA Today article "Wrestling needs to rethink its calendar "

What about Drexel? I understood they were not only on quarters, but faced some problems with alater NCAA date because so many of their students do a lot of co-op, interning type study that often takes 6 years for a Bachelors?

I haven't read all of the posts but here are my thoughts:

A one week adjustment to a later date for championships seems very reasonable. It avoids the busy opening weekend of March Madness but piggybacks in some ways on the energy and viewership of the "Madness".

That said...A marketing research firm could probably paint a much clearer picture to make decisions from instead of wrestling people just throwing ideas around. A non-biased analysis of who our fan base and potential fan base is could really have positive impacts on the sport. They could also tell us what is and what isn't exciting about the sport to that potential fan base. Has there been any significant effort by NWCA or anyone else to try to compile an analysis of this sort?

Excellent post. If this kind of analysis has been done, I haven't heard about it.

I haven't read all of the posts but here are my thoughts:

A one week adjustment to a later date for championships seems very reasonable. It avoids the busy opening weekend of March Madness but piggybacks in some ways on the energy and viewership of the "Madness".

That said...A marketing research firm could probably paint a much clearer picture to make decisions from instead of wrestling people just throwing ideas around. A non-biased analysis of who our fan base and potential fan base is could really have positive impacts on the sport. They could also tell us what is and what isn't exciting about the sport to that potential fan base. Has there been any significant effort by NWCA or anyone else to try to compile an analysis of this sort?

Excellent post. If this kind of analysis has been done, I haven't heard about it.

Great, lets follow the IOC method :roll: .

I'm simply trying to suggest a simple way to make it more likely a casual viewer may stop and watch, while increasing the broadcast value to ESPN. Win/win. Hardcore fans of particular sports will watch other sports too. Just not as likely any particular one when in broad conflict with a mega hyped event on its biggest weekend (participation wise).

Why do you think gym and hockey fans don't cross over? I watch them, when available.

Yeah, You're right. It's always best to shoot from the hip and make decisions based on random thoughts and feelings. Sarcasm aside...Gathering information to make decisions from is not comparable in any way to the willy nilly rule changes of the IOC. There is a time and a place to shoot from the hip, this isn't that time or place. Making a well thought out calculated move is also different from hemming and hawing over it season after season.

John Smith has long advocated making wrestlung strictly a 2nd semester sport. I'll be having lunch next week with a influential coach, i'll add that to my list of things to cover. I am in agreement. The NCAAs in May or June would be much more pleasant.

So if that were to happen, how would the Cal Jucos be affected, or would they stick to their championship schedule? I think they are losing some kids to football that would wrestle and it would make it more appealing if a kid could do both.

Yeah, You're right. It's always best to shoot from the hip and make decisions based on random thoughts and feelings. Sarcasm aside...Gathering information to make decisions from is not comparable in any way to the willy nilly rule changes of the IOC. There is a time and a place to shoot from the hip, this isn't that time or place. Making a well thought out calculated move is also different from hemming and hawing over it season after season.

Moving D1 tourney one week later needs only one piece of research. Does ESPN believe it would attract more viewers then? If yes, then move it ASAP. All the other changes involve multiple possible problems and, in effect, alter the DNA of the currently constituted season, and sport. I'm only trying to enhance the visibility of what I think currently is a great, but under appreciated sport. Not looking for major change in anything but visibility.

Are we certain that moving the date one week would even be beneficial? Instead of competing with first round mismatches, you're now head to head with competitive Sweet Sixteen games. The big teams with national followings are mostly still in it at that point. I think you'd have to look at the ratings to get a sense of whether more casual fans tune in to the first week of March Madness or the second.