MizzouGrad

Willie "Petty" Saylor

4 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

and with the whole “glorified message board poster with a platform” , I think you are really underestimating how many coaches and athletes respect Willie and would rather deal with him then other members of wrestling media

While I don't doubt that this is true, regarding coaches and athletes to a point, there's also a reason the sport is niche.   Ask yourself which entity large corporations would rather be associated with?  Plus you had at least one wrestler pushing back at Willie on Twitter, Jon Morrison.

You can carve a niche out for yourself in this field without Flo without going ham on Twitter.  Our own @JasonBryant is a great example.  Willie is trying to go the Dana White/Vince McMahon route, but he doesn't have that kind of product, he's in the supplemental content game.

Willie's persona plays well on for a certain sector of the internet; hell, I find him funny, too, a lot of the time (although he did tell me to go blow Pyles, so I don't think he cares for me).

There's just a lot to parse here.  Like I said, I understand the Flo/Pyles axe.  He feels like they took something from him.  The Askren one just seems unnecessary and an attempt to draft off the bigger figure.

7 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

you are willie

Is this pyles burner account or something ? You seem to really feel some type of way about this

7 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

so you are guessing? When did he say it.

I’m pretty sure you have the same internet and research capabilities as me, you are the one saying I’m making unfounded statements, why do you I have to prove myself right? 

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Is this pyles burner account or something ? You seem to really feel some type of way about this

I’m pretty sure you have the same internet and research capabilities as me, you are the one saying I’m making unfounded statements, why do you I have to prove myself right? 

I don't feel strongly about it. You are making a lot of claims that you couldn't be sure of unless you were ben askren, letalone Willie.

Edited by hammerlockthree

Just now, Antitroll2828 said:

I mean...you're the one making the claim (that something happened with Askren and FLo behind Willie's back).  Traditionally, the one making the claim brings the evidence, and then hl3 would either accept or attempt to refute it.

13 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

It’s more to the point that Askren was telling Willie one thing while doing another...I’m sure if he went to Willie and was like yo Flo is offering me all this $$ I can’t afford to turn it down then it wouldn’t be an issue 

Are we sure he didn’t tell him?  Willie must have found out at some point because he tweeted about it...

Just now, VakAttack said:

While I don't doubt that this is true, regarding coaches and athletes to a point, there's also a reason the sport is niche.   Ask yourself which entity large corporations would rather be associated with?  Plus you had at least one wrestler pushing back at Willie on Twitter, Jon Morrison.

You can carve a niche out for yourself in this field without Flo without going ham on Twitter.  Our own @JasonBryant is a great example.  Willie is trying to go the Dana White/Vince McMahon route, but he doesn't have that kind of product, he's in the supplemental content game.

Willie's persona plays well on for a certain sector of the internet; hell, I find him funny, too, a lot of the time (although he did tell me to go blow Pyles, so I don't think he cares for me).

There's just a lot to parse here.  Like I said, I understand the Flo/Pyles axe.  He feels like they took something from him.  The Askren one just seems unnecessary and an attempt to draft off the bigger figure.

Well 1 thank you for a thought out response instead of just telling me I’m wrong or idk what I’m talking about

2. if you are talking about if  Universities Would rather associate with Flo or Willie, I really think that would depend on the administration in place.( but Willie does himself no favors using the cael sonnon/Vince McMahon approach on Twitter, I agree 100 % with you on that) but Flo took an image hit with all the stuff with Woman’s team this summer, and creepy nomad and they looked terrible with the court case as well. So I’m sure their are a few coaches that would like to give Flo the Cael treatment.
Also adding to that Willie ranking are definitely a step above Flo which are just ridiculous at times 

3. I told another poster I believe the story was Willie had been confiding in Ben about Flo stuff right when it went down and Ben was listening and “supporting” Willie all while he was negotiating a contract to fill his spot on FRL ( which was the best business decision Flo could’ve made once Willie left). Willie called out Ben and announced that Flo was hiring him for more money then everyone else combined before Flo or Ben even broke the news, so I think the Ben axe to grind is personal as well, Willie seems to be someone that takes a lot of stuff personal 

4. it’s tough to compare JB and Willie because they have completely different personalities, JB is professional and Willie is loud and in your face ...but both still put 100 percent into the sport and get a lot less back financially then someone like Askren

30 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I like Willie and kudos to him for seemingly making a living off of it, but he’s basically a glorified message board poster with a platform.   Heck he’s even still talking about wrestling matches he won in high school.

I should be clear, I don't think "glorified message board poster with a platform" is a fair characterization Willie, either, in terms of his content or access.  His persona...yeah, but I also think he's going for that.  I'm a message board poster and I (or any of you) could "have a platform."  But we wouldn't have the access to athletes or coaches that Willie has.  Willie is a guy with a platform who happens to post on a message board.

12 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Are we sure he didn’t tell him?  Willie must have found out at some point because he tweeted about it...

I was under the impression someone at Flo leaked that to Willie and he went scorched earth as opposed to Ben telling him but I could be wrong 

9 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

3. I told another poster I believe the story was Willie had been confiding in Ben about Flo stuff right when it went down and Ben was listening and “supporting” Willie all while he was negotiating a contract to fill his spot on FRL ( which was the best business decision Flo could’ve made once Willie left). Willie called out Ben and announced that Flo was hiring him for more money then everyone else combined before Flo or Ben even broke the news, so I think the Ben axe to grind is personal as well, Willie seems to be someone that takes a lot of stuff personal 

4. it’s tough to compare JB and Willie because they have completely different personalities, JB is professional and Willie is loud and in your face ...but both still put 100 percent into the sport and get a lot less back financially then someone like Askren

You still haven't provided any evidence that even Willie himself made the claims you are on his behalf.

Before prodding askren today, whats the evidence "Willie is loud and in your face"? 

I think this is Willie's "burner account." Or at least acting like it.

Edited by hammerlockthree

33 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

You still haven't provided any evidence that even Willie himself made the claims you are on his behalf.

Before prodding askren today, whats the evidence "Willie is loud and in your face"? 

I think this is Willie's "burner account." Or at least acting like it.

I think Willie went into this on Stalemates if you want to give that a listen.

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

I should be clear, I don't think "glorified message board poster with a platform" is a fair characterization Willie, either, in terms of his content or access.  His persona...yeah, but I also think he's going for that.  I'm a message board poster and I (or any of you) could "have a platform."  But we wouldn't have the access to athletes or coaches that Willie has.  Willie is a guy with a platform who happens to post on a message board.

That's why I said "glorified."   I'm not referring to the fact that he still posts on message boards, I'm referring to the fact that he parlayed posting on message boards 10+ years ago or whenever it was into an actual job.   I believe he has basically said that message boards were how he got his start with the Open Mat.

Willie does have good access though yes.   Which is another reason it's weird that he is hating on literally one of the most popular former wrestlers in the country.   Could make some people leery about sharing info with him...

Getting past the Flo pettiness...some of his takes on Askren are pretty bad.    Saying he's a "questionable MMA practicioner" despite winning 2 championships and being in the UFC?    Saying what Ben did is the blueprint for what NOT to do as a wrestler?   Huh?   Most wrestlers would kill to have the post-college life that Askren had.   And of course despite his MMA fame, he still is obviously passionate about wrestling, advocates for it and continues to train kids.

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

That's why I said "glorified."   I'm not referring to the fact that he still posts on message boards, I'm referring to the fact that he parlayed posting on message boards 10+ years ago or whenever it was into an actual job.   I believe he has basically said that message boards were how he got his start with the Open Mat.

Willie does have good access though yes.   Which is another reason it's weird that he is hating on literally one of the most popular former wrestlers in the country.   Could make some people leery about sharing info with him...

Getting past the Flo pettiness...some of his takes on Askren are pretty bad.    Saying he's a "questionable MMA practicioner" despite winning 2 championships and being in the UFC?    Saying what Ben did is the blueprint for what NOT to do as a wrestler?   Huh?   Most wrestlers would kill to have the post-college life that Askren had.   And of course despite his MMA fame, he still is obviously passionate about wrestling, advocates for it and continues to train kids.

Yeah, the Askren stuff seems rooted in the personal.

5 hours ago, MizzouGrad said:

The Jr. High gossip and Tweetstorms slamming former coworkers is not a great look. Someone needs to take the Twitter machine from his little hands before his credibility is shot. 

Willie needs to do this stuff to stay relevant. He doesnt produce anything good enough for it to stand on its own merits.

4 hours ago, portajohn said:

Really the drama should just come to a head with them meeting in a match or the octagon ...sponsored by Rockfin or free with a flo lifetime subscription of course. 

3 hours ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Willie needs to do this stuff to stay relevant. He doesnt produce anything good enough for it to stand on its own merits.

That's a reasonable take on this. Even if it's true that Askren makes choices based on his self interest (not hard to believe in a human person); that Askren may have taken advantage of Willie (my guess is that it's complicated, but let's say it's not); and that Pyles wronged Willie (I actually thought that Pyles was always quite respectful of and showed gratitude toward Willie even as Willie became a drag on the show), where's the high ground at this point? 

I could maybe have seen this closer to the breakups when emotion would be raw and social media's natural venting tendency took over. At this point, though, it does seem like a guy standing on a ladder and punching up when you compare resumes. 

Willie is regarded as having some particular skills, knowledge, and relationships. He should let those do the talking, not try to make hay out of discrediting a guy who he's not well suited to competing with, and who, even if the worst alleged is true, isn't currently impeding him in any way. 

9 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Well 1 thank you for a thought out response instead of just telling me I’m wrong or idk what I’m talking about

2. if you are talking about if  Universities Would rather associate with Flo or Willie, I really think that would depend on the administration in place.( but Willie does himself no favors using the cael sonnon/Vince McMahon approach on Twitter, I agree 100 % with you on that) but Flo took an image hit with all the stuff with Woman’s team this summer, and creepy nomad and they looked terrible with the court case as well. So I’m sure their are a few coaches that would like to give Flo the Cael treatment.
Also adding to that Willie ranking are definitely a step above Flo which are just ridiculous at times 

All these comparisons are silly. Willy isn’t doing a Vince McMahon thing. He doesn’t have a real audience. He has a small niche within a niche. 

he thinks he is important, but really he is just a bully