MizzouGrad

Willie "Petty" Saylor

9 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I should be clear, I don't think "glorified message board poster with a platform" is a fair characterization Willie, either, in terms of his content or access.  His persona...yeah, but I also think he's going for that.  I'm a message board poster and I (or any of you) could "have a platform."  But we wouldn't have the access to athletes or coaches that Willie has.  Willie is a guy with a platform who happens to post on a message board.

The access thing is so overblown. 

Edited by Housebuye

You guys are all overthinking this.

I just don't like Ben Askren and don't think he's a high character guy. that's it. 

don't twist yourselves around with ulterior motives like 'i have an ax to grind' or 'it's a gimmick' or 'i do this to stay relevant' 

i say what i think - for better or worse

Edited by Husker_Du

I just don't like Ben Askren and don't think he's a high character guy. that's it. 
don't twist yourselves around with ulterior motives like 'i have an ax to grind' or 'it's a gimmick' or 'i do this to stay relevant' 
Do you consider yourself "a high character" guy?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

As a solid GenXer, I just don’t understand this compulsion to share what you think with the world is all about. Didn’t your momma teach you if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all? Or, better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Your opinion of Askren is your business, but what makes you think anyone cares what you think? Mystifying. 

Are you asking me to apologize for sharing my opinion? lol.

"but what makes you think anyone cares what you think?"

maybe some people care what i think. maybe some people don't care at all. but is the irony that you're participating in a 3 page thread regarding what 'i think' lost on you? why are you posting your opinion? didn't your momma teach you.....

1 minute ago, Husker_Du said:

Are you asking me to apologize for sharing my opinion? lol.

"but what makes you think anyone cares what you think?"

maybe some people care what i think. maybe some people don't care at all. but is the irony that you're participating in a 3 page thread regarding what 'i think' lost on you? why are you posting your opinion? didn't your momma teach you.....

Fair response. I would say this board is a very targeted audience and we posters (some of us anyway) try to contribute substantially to wrestling discussions, for which we apparently share a unique enthusiasm. Twitter is clearly not so discriminate, or so I understand. 

I’m not asking you to apologize, you didn’t hurt me in any way. I was just commenting on what I find to be a strange cultural shift, that’s all. 

Guys just Willie being Willie not sure how this is a shock to anyone thats who he is and always has been.He always says what he feels take it or leave it.I would rather have that then some bulls**t corporate answer.Wrestlers in general are real people who wear our hearts on our sleeves that's what make us different.Willie being Willie and I hope he never changes for anyone.

Edited by calot

4 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

i mean, isn't the general point of social media (including message boards) to express your opinion?

Its still a choice. Nobody shares their opinion about everything. People rarely bitch about cereals they dont like because they see no value to their online persona. You seem to think ****ting on people adds to your online presense. It just comes across as petty and really no one even talks about what you bring to the sport anymore other than that.

In my opinion its been a bad look as youve repeatedly ripped on Pyles. Say what you want about the dude, but he has come off as extremely gracious and complimentary of his time with you and you just cant let go of it, and anything you say about Ben just reeks of trying to bring down someone to stay relevent.

4 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Its still a choice. Nobody shares their opinion about everything. People rarely bitch about cereals they dont like because they see no value to their online persona. You seem to think ****ting on people adds to your online presense. It just comes across as petty and really no one even talks about what you bring to the sport anymore other than that.

In my opinion its been a bad look as youve repeatedly ripped on Pyles. Say what you want about the dude, but he has come off as extremely gracious and complimentary of his time with you and you just cant let go of it, and anything you say about Ben just reeks of trying to bring down someone to stay relevent.

False.  You must not have children.

Children bitch about cereal they dont like all the time.

With all due respect, Drake, you aren't privy to everything that goes on, and your take is very naive, to put it mildly - including this nonsense "really no one even talks about what you bring to the sport anymore other than that." (There's plenty of examples / data that proves that false).

Anyway - to the point - what i find when i put an opinion out there is that it's all fun if you agree (ex. bad officiating; poor leadership, Wade Schalles)

but if you don't agree then I should shut up and "i bring nothing to the sport".

whatever the case - i have the right to express my opinions and everyone has the right to agree or disagree. such is life. but saying someone (anyone, for that matter) should shut up or that there are ulterior motives for why they express opinions is silly. 

Obviously people care what Willie thinks.  But I think there’s a difference between “putting an opinion out there” and calling someone “an f’ing embarrassment” in public.  The f bombs are also odd IMO considering much of his/your audience is youth wrestlers/parents.

29 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Yes, but do they take it to twitter?

Also TikTok, Instagram, Snapperchats, and Farcebook.  I thinj there are a few new ones now.

Steam?  That's one.  Pretty sure.  YouTube too.

19 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

whatever the case - i have the right to express my opinions and everyone has the right to agree or disagree. such is life. but saying someone (anyone, for that matter) should shut up or that there are ulterior motives for why they express opinions is silly. 

@Husker_Du lets set it up!  Willie vs Pyles on the Undercard of the Paul vs Askren fight.  6 minute match.  Flo vs Rofkin. 

3 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

Yeah high character guys take to Twitter to call other dudes an f’ing embarrassment.

55 minutes ago, portajohn said:

@Husker_Du lets set it up!  Willie vs Pyles on the Undercard of the Paul vs Askren fight.  6 minute match.  Flo vs Rofkin. 

This is silly.  Even with Willy being a chunker Pyles has to outweigh him a good 25-35lbs.

Pyles is also in decent shape.

Not fair.

This is silly.  Even with Willy being a chunker Pyles has to outweigh him a good 25-35lbs.
Pyles is also in decent shape.
Not fair.
I dunno, Pyles is a small guy, I think.

I feel like they've discussed this multiple times on FRL and mostly agreed that if it went to deeper waters, Pyles would have a chance, but Willie had a lot more skills and thus could end it quickly.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

I dunno, Pyles is a small guy, I think.

I feel like they've discussed this multiple times on FRL and mostly agreed that if it went to deeper waters, Pyles would have a chance, but Willie had a lot more skills and thus could end it quickly.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Willie is about 4'3" tall.  My 10 year old daughter was at least 3" taller than him two summers ago.

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

Anyway - to the point - what i find when i put an opinion out there is that it's all fun if you agree (ex. bad officiating; poor leadership, Wade Schalles)

but if you don't agree then I should shut up and "i bring nothing to the sport".

....and you only like when people say nice things about you. You think everyone should be respectful of your opinion when you are so disrespectful? Hypocrisy much? Why are we not allowed to call you an embarrassment? Dont be so entitled. 

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Obviously people care what Willie thinks.  But I think there’s a difference between “putting an opinion out there” and calling someone “an f’ing embarrassment” in public.  The f bombs are also odd IMO considering much of his/your audience is youth wrestlers/parents.

He thinks he deserves the kind of respect that he would give no one else.

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

but saying someone (anyone, for that matter) should shut up or that there are ulterior motives for why they express opinions is silly. 

Yeah, because you would never do such a thing right? Hahaha you're embarrassing yourself.