Sign in to follow this  
Dawkins90

Advice for passionate but new wrestler

Hi, I am a sophomore in high school, and recently have had a quite hard time feeling good about my wrestling. I started in freshman year, and between then and now, i have been obsessed with getting better. I have not gone a day without thinking about and trying to improve my wrestling. But i have hit a tough spot. i dont feel like i am improving, and im feeling poor on my confidence. Is this normal for a wrestler in their second year, does it get better.

Hey! It's normal, for sure. The learning curve in wrestling is really steep, but really exciting to witness!

I think it's important that you keep hold on that growth you're already seeing. It's all about perspective. Keep an open mind and passionate heart and you'll go far in the sport, no matter what skill level you're starting at or where you're at now. So many of the greats in this sport talk about getting trashed their first year or two of wrestling and then having something click after a bit.

You got this! Good luck this season!

On 2/6/2021 at 6:01 PM, Dawkins90 said:

Hi, I am a sophomore in high school, and recently have had a quite hard time feeling good about my wrestling. I started in freshman year, and between then and now, i have been obsessed with getting better. I have not gone a day without thinking about and trying to improve my wrestling. But i have hit a tough spot. i dont feel like i am improving, and im feeling poor on my confidence. Is this normal for a wrestler in their second year, does it get better.

I’ve been coaching for around 20 years now and my assistant and I have come to the conclusion that it takes around 3 years to truly learn/get wrestling. You have to be patient and respect that most of the better wrestlers out there have put in way more time than you have.  There’s nothing wrong with that but you have to be realistic with yourself. Keep plugging away, it’ll come. If you’re dedicated to it and have some degree of athleticism I venture to guess by next year you’ll start seeing big gains and success will follow.