Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Stanford's last dual matches today

Stanford vs. Oregon State @ Corvallis, OR - 2 p.m. PT (3 p.m. MT) - Can be watched online here -  https://pac-12.com/live/oregon-state-university

Stanford vs. Utah Valley @ Corvallis, OR - 4 p.m. PT (5 p.m. MT) - Live State via TrackWrestling here - https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/seasons/MainFrame.jsp?TIM=1612704747193&twSessionId=lalbgzsldw&loadBalanced=true

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

I have to wonder if Real Woods is going to (finally) be in the lineup for Stanford.   Also have to wonder if Shane Griffith will be in the lineup as well.

Real Woods has not yet certified according to trackwrestling.

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

I have to wonder if Real Woods is going to (finally) be in the lineup for Stanford.   Also have to wonder if Shane Griffith will be in the lineup as well.

Thinking the same.  

Griffith with only 1 match (@ 174).  Woods with no matches.  

Can they both get to 4 matches ?  Would they get At-Large bids if they don't win Pac 12 titles ?

Stanford has two duals today vs. Oregon State (2 p.m. PT) and Utah Valley (4 p.m.) and they would have at least 2 matches at the PAC 12 tournament.  So it is possible for them to both get to 4 matches.  However Woods would have to compete in both duals today (and at least 1 for Griffith).

51 minutes ago, WresFan89 said:

Real Woods has not yet certified according to trackwrestling.

Please provide a url link (or a screenshot) of where you see that on TW - if you would please.

Stanford vs. Oregon State probable lineup

125 lbs - Jackson DiSario (True SO) - Stanford vs. Brandon Kaylor (RS SO) - Oregon State
Last time these two met was at the 2020 PAC 12 tournament where DiSario won 10-3'

133 lbs - Jason Miranda (True FR) - Stanford vs. Devan Turner (RS SR) - Oregon State
Only 1 common opponent is Chance Rich of CSUB - Miranda beat Rich by FALL (6:01) and Turner has beaten Rich 3 times by Decision (5-3, 2-0 and 3-1 in SV OT)

141 lbs - Luciano Arroyo (True SO) - Stanford vs. Grant Willits (RS JR) - Oregon State
Six common opponents.  Most recent is Lawrence Saenz of Cal Poly.  Willits beat Saenz 12-5 and Arroyo lost 11-2 to Saenz

149 lbs - Jaden Abas (RS FR) - Stanford vs. Lane Stigall (RS JR)- Oregon State
12 common opponents - Most recent is Marko Hunter of South Dakota State.  Abas beat Hunter 7-4 and Stigall lost 3-1 to Hunter.

157 lbs - Requir van der Merwe (RS SR) - Stanford vs. Hunter Willits (RS JR) - Oregon State
4 common opponents - Most recent is Brawley Lamer of Cal Poly.  Merwe beat Lamer by MD (13-5) and Willits beat Lamer by MD (10-2)

165 lbs - Shane Griffith (RS SO) - Stanford vs. Aaron Olmos (RS JR) - Oregon State
These two wrestled about 1 year ago and Griffith won by FALL (6:23) over Olmos

174 lbs - Tyler Eichens (RS SO) - Stanford vs. Colton Beisley (RS JR) - Oregon State
2 common opponents - 1 being Bernie Truax of Cal Poly.  Eischens beat Truax by FALL (3:24) and Beisley lost to Truax by FALL (1:05)

184 lbs - Jared Hill (RS SR) - Stanford vs. Ryan Reyes (True SO) - Oregon State
2 common opponents - Reyes won vs both of the common opponents and Hill lost to both.

197lbs - Haydn Maley (RS JR) - Stanford vs. J. J. Dixon (RS SO) - Oregon State
1 common opponent - Trevor Tinker of Cal Poly.  Maley beat Tinker 8-5 and Dixon beat Tinker 8-6

285 lbs - Nathan Traxler (RS SR) - Stanford vs. Brian Barnes (RS JR)  Oregon State
2 common opponents.  Most recent is Gabriel Beyer of Little Rock.  Traxler beat Beyer 3-1 and Barnes lost by FALL (1:40) to Beyer

As I see these matches Stanford is favored in five of the ten weight classes.  Oregon State is favored in two of ten and the other 3  (125 and 157 and 197) are tossups.

Edited by Bronco

Any update on Real Woods? I saw they got Griffith two extra matches to get him the minimum number at 165.

A couple things that possibly complicate the Woods thing. I have no idea what he weights but if he certified today he would have to weigh about 147.4 fully hydrated for his descent plan to allow for 141 by PAC 12s (1.5% per week). No idea how they would seed him but if he got a first round bye there is no way for him to get four matches and earn a pre-allocated spot if he just slips up one coming in to the tournament with no matches. Wouldn't matter if he won the tournament, he would get the AQ. He did major Willits twice last year who looks to be his best competition should he enter.

14 hours ago, Bronco said:

Thanks - I saw that but it says they (the ones with the red X) are "not eligible".    I have to wonder why all of them are not eligible.

The red and green eligibility markers in the track system indicate on!y one thing-- whether or not minimum weight certification for that athlete has been completed.  All of the athletes in green have completed the certification process, and the ones in red have not certified, have not competed, and won't be competing until they do, at which point they will appear in green.

I explained some of the intricacies of the weight management system in great detail recently, if it interests you search my recent posts.  It was over 1000 words so I won't belabor the point any further here.

I don't see any way Real Woods wrestles (at all) this season.   He didn't compete in either of the two duals yesterday or any of the 16 extra matches either.

Screenshot_2021-02-08 Split in Corvallis - Stanford University Athletics.png

Edited by Bronco

24 minutes ago, Gantry said:

It sure seems like Woods has chosen not to wrestle this year, would be more surprised if he does at this point. 

Probably the same for Ryan Deakin

If Woods is trying to graduate early so he can get his Stanford degree and continue to compete at another school (best of both worlds), then it make sense that he not compete in a year where he loses nothing. Just speculation...however he did mention in an interview he wanted to get his Stanford degree and continue wrestling. 

24 minutes ago, smsu150 said:

Any word on Stanford's efforts to save the program?

There have been many words.  They raised all that money then Stanford said 'Nah.  You have to save all the programs, not just yours.' 

Then Stanford blocked the coaching staff from using Stanford Wrestling's social media accounts.

Then the coaching staff made their own titled 'Save Stanford Wrestling' or something along those lines.

And then Stanford went and paid other sports coaches bonuses for traveling with the teams they coach on during Covid.

Basically Stanford doesn't care about wrestling.  They washed their hands and moved on immediately.

2 hours ago, Idaho said:

If Woods is trying to graduate early so he can get his Stanford degree and continue to compete at another school (best of both worlds), then it make sense that he not compete in a year where he loses nothing. Just speculation...however he did mention in an interview he wanted to get his Stanford degree and continue wrestling. 

It only makes sense if he's taking a crazy amount of credits or something and needs to spend all his time on schoolwork.   Otherwise, it doesn't really make sense to NOT compete in a year where he loses nothing.

Although like Gantry said I'd be surprised if he does wrestle.     But unlike someone like Deakin, is there anyone that would really challenge Woods in the Pac 12?   He may not really be worried about the 4 match thing if it's pretty certain that he'd win it.

40 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

There have been many words.  They raised all that money then Stanford said 'Nah.  You have to save all the programs, not just yours.' 

Then Stanford blocked the coaching staff from using Stanford Wrestling's social media accounts.

Then the coaching staff made their own titled 'Save Stanford Wrestling' or something along those lines.

And then Stanford went and paid other sports coaches bonuses for traveling with the teams they coach on during Covid.

Basically Stanford doesn't care about wrestling.  They washed their hands and moved on immediately.

From the video yesterday I noticed the Stanford wrestlers in a dark grey singlet with no school logos on them.  Same with coach B when he approached the head ref table.  A silent protest of sorts?  It is sad that they are treated this way.  I want the program to be saved.

At 141 lbs the next best in the PAC 12 would be Grant Willits of Oregon State.  Woods beat Willits twice last season and both matches were MD losses for Wilits.

At 149 lbs the best - according to WrestleStat - is his Stanford teammate Jaden Abas and Legend Lamer of Cal Poly.

18 minutes ago, CB said:

From the video yesterday I noticed the Stanford wrestlers in a dark grey singlet with no school logos on them.  Same with coach B when he approached the head ref table.  A silent protest of sorts?  It is sad that they are treated this way.  I want the program to be saved.

Hence the title I used for this thread 

I think those two duals on Sunday literally WERE Stanford's last dual wrestling matches.  The only question that remains is where do all of the talented Stanford wrestlers go to compete for 2021-2022? 

# 4 ranked (WS) Shane Griffith (RS Soph. this year)

#  7 ranked (WS) Real Woods (RS Soph. this year)

# 19 ranked (WS) Jaden Abas (RS FR this year)

To name just a few

Edited by Bronco

56 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I didn’t know all that as I haven’t followed it as closely as you.

That really stinks especially if they did raise the funds necessary to re-instate the Program.

I will forever view Stanford with a disdain similar to how I view Notre Dame after that sham some years ago.

54 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Hence the title I used for this thread 

I think those two duals on Sunday literally WERE Stanford's last dual wrestling matches.  The only question that remains is where do all of the talented Stanford wrestlers go to compete for 2021-2022? 

# 4 ranked (WS) Shane Griffith (RS Soph. this year)

#  7 ranked (WS) Real Woods (RS Soph. this year)

# 19 ranked (WS) Jaden Abas (RS FR this year)

To name just a few

I do believe the general consensus/smart money is that Griffith is headed to Michigan.  Not sure what the other two have going for them.  Someone had said something about Abas heading to Fresno, but same boat there.  Woods?  Not sure.  He will be sought after by every single program not Ivy league.  It would be amazeballs if Griffith and Woods both ended up at Michigan.