Jump to content
nom

Programs going into major lockdowns pre conf and NCAAs?

Recommended Posts

Major wildcard out there with covid.  Possibility of entire teams not getting to conferences or NCAAs.  Major favorites getting derailed.

Is there word regarding programs taking extra steps to create a bubble for themselves as the tourney's get closer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m assuming they will be doing what they have been doing, with harsher non compliance punishments. 
  
with no duals, hopefully everyone is doing online classes only and not hanging out with other people. Imagine if a backup exposes Spencer Lee or something...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"A wrestler who does not compete in his respective conference tournament, MAY still be eligible for an at-large selection. ONLY if he was unable to participate due to COVID related issues, and he was not replaced by a teammate in the conference tournament."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll add this that I learned today. Someone that doesn't win the conference with <4 bouts whose conference wrestles that week early like PAC-10 normally did and EIWA is doing this year can wrestle bouts AFTER the conference as long as it's prior to the traditional season ending weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I'll add this that I learned today. Someone that doesn't win the conference with <4 bouts whose conference wrestles that week early like PAC-10 normally did and EIWA is doing this year can wrestle bouts AFTER the conference as long as it's prior to the traditional season ending weekend.

Normally would expect there to be a "Bracket Buster Weekend" event for guys needing to hit the four-match threshold, but in the COVID era, that simply isn't likely. (for what it's worth, the only conferences that are having their tournaments the normal weekend are the Big number conferences)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I'll add this that I learned today. Someone that doesn't win the conference with <4 bouts whose conference wrestles that week early like PAC-10 normally did and EIWA is doing this year can wrestle bouts AFTER the conference as long as it's prior to the traditional season ending weekend.

Does this mean they keep their placing at the conference tournament by getting a 4th match after the tournament? So do they actually create a pod type tournament/match with other teams so they can get their 4th match in? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Normally would expect there to be a "Bracket Buster Weekend" event for guys needing to hit the four-match threshold, but in the COVID era, that simply isn't likely. (for what it's worth, the only conferences that are having their tournaments the normal weekend are the Big number conferences)

 

8 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Does this mean they keep their placing at the conference tournament by getting a 4th match after the tournament? So do they actually create a pod type tournament/match with other teams so they can get their 4th match in? 

I only today heard this and briefly. The way I heard it (to answer SHP) I would agree about likely lack of a tourney but that they were expecting teams to do a dual. It's really only likely to need 1 match. You would need to have 0 coming in to most conferences and only get 3 at them. Maybe Big 12 would only get 2. 

Just reread Idaho. That's interesting. I guess you could do that. Dresser would find a way!  Problem might be with some conferences doing too many in a day and otherwise having to stay over longer and keeping facilities open. The 1 day EIWAs is pushing the envelope with possible 6th matches if they do "true" place matches so to do more than that would be illegal.

Edited by gimpeltf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

 

I only today heard this and briefly. The way I heard it (to answer SHP) I would agree about likely lack of a tourney but that they were expecting teams to do a dual. It's really only likely to need 1 match. You would need to have 0 coming in to most conferences and only get 3 at them. Maybe Big 12 would only get 2. 

Just reread Idaho. That's interesting. I guess you could do that. Dresser would find a way!  Problem might be with some conferences doing too many in a day and otherwise having to stay over longer and keeping facilities open. The 1 day EIWAs is pushing the envelope with possible 6th matches if they do "true" place matches so to do more than that would be illegal.

If the EIWA did placement matches this year, that would be the first time ever for them. For what it's worth, last year the ACC, Big Ten, and EIWA did not do true placement matches, the Big 12 (including for True 8th!), MAC, Pac-12, and SoCon did.

Edited by SetonHallPirate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

If the EIWA did placement matches this year, that would be the first time ever for them. For what it's worth, last year the ACC, Big Ten, and EIWA did not do true placement matches, the Big 12 (including for True 8th!), MAC, Pac-12, and SoCon did.

Correct. The concern was that if we lost a lot of potential qualifiers due to the conference shrink and possibly if get than 4 bouts then we might want to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"A wrestler who does not compete in his respective conference tournament, MAY still be eligible for an at-large selection. ONLY if he was unable to participate due to COVID related issues, and he was not replaced by a teammate in the conference tournament."

“...AND he was not replaced by a teammate in the conference tourney”

Some coaches will be faced with difficult decisions! If wrestler A develops covid on the eve of the conference tourney do you replace him or not? Forego points toward a conf championship and potential qualifier and hope wrestler A returns to form for NCAAs or plug in wrestler B?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, powershouse said:


“...AND he was not replaced by a teammate in the conference tourney”

Some coaches will be faced with difficult decisions! If wrestler A develops covid on the eve of the conference tourney do you replace him or not? Forego points toward a conf championship and potential qualifier and hope wrestler A returns to form for NCAAs or plug in wrestler B?

Yep - I agree. Coaches could be put in some tough spots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, powershouse said:


“...AND he was not replaced by a teammate in the conference tourney”

Some coaches will be faced with difficult decisions! If wrestler A develops covid on the eve of the conference tourney do you replace him or not? Forego points toward a conf championship and potential qualifier and hope wrestler A returns to form for NCAAs or plug in wrestler B?

I doubt there are too many, if any, top coaches worried about one wrestler's points toward conf in this here covid year.  Think all are focused on just having and getting guys to an NCAA tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting to see if anyone intentionally tanks a conference SF bout in order to pick up an extra bout on the backside...

Also, what level of creative seeding/bracket placement will we see to help targeted guys get their bouts?

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are all good points that should direct the NCAA to scrap this entire confusing qualification guideline and do something different - 1 official D1 match going into conference - even if it's a med-def in the first 5 seconds. The end. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Idaho said:

These are all good points that should direct the NCAA to scrap this entire confusing qualification guideline and do something different - 1 official D1 match going into conference - even if it's a med-def in the first 5 seconds. The end. 

Hopefully, that won't be the reason to scrap those rules going into next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Idaho said:

These are all good points that should direct the NCAA to scrap this entire confusing qualification guideline and do something different - 1 official D1 match going into conference - even if it's a med-def in the first 5 seconds. The end. 

 

Now you've just disqualified the entire American program this year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why the B12 and the B1G10 don't move their conference tournaments up a week.  As I read what (I think) the current guidelines are, the minimum number of days between testing positive and competition is 10 days, but could be longer depending on the individual's symptoms and the local guidelines.  I think having the conference tournaments end 12 days before the NCAA tournaments start is cutting it too close.   Hypothetically, if a wrestler was exposed at one of these conference tournament and then showed symptoms 3 days afterward, maybe a whole team and maybe some members of other teams could be contact traced out of the NCAA tournament????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fatlaz said:

I don't understand why the B12 and the B1G10 don't move their conference tournaments up a week.  As I read what (I think) the current guidelines are, the minimum number of days between testing positive and competition is 10 days, but could be longer depending on the individual's symptoms and the local guidelines.  I think having the conference tournaments end 12 days before the NCAA tournaments start is cutting it too close.   Hypothetically, if a wrestler was exposed at one of these conference tournament and then showed symptoms 3 days afterward, maybe a whole team and maybe some members of other teams could be contact traced out of the NCAA tournament????

In the Big Ten's case, they have matches on Monday, February 22nd, so having the conference tournament that Saturday-Sunday (the 27th and 28th) is probably a nonstarter. In the Big 12's case, best guess would be arena availability...remember, the Big 12 uses a neutral site venue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a side note, Griffin wrestled 3 matches on Sunday against OSU.... the Varsity match then two more extras.... He got his 4 in at 165. That certainly is another way to do it. This is why it makes me think that they need the 4 prior to the Pac 12... otherwise why wrestle 3x in one day to reach 4? Maybe I missed something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NAIA has some qualifiers this weekend.   Others next weekend.   KCAC/Sooner super conference is this week with next two weekends off before NAIAs.  I believe the Cascade has cancelled theirs and will qualify differently (based off dual results I believe)  GPAC is 12th and 13th.   All over the place for that Level.  

NJCAA is now basically a National Open (but only for your top 10 in the room with 1 per weight).  No need to qualify,  bring your 125-HWT and scrap.  No qualifier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...