Sign in to follow this  
iowawrestling8989

Who knocked the heck of you

NJwrestlingguy..I remember when Szott wrestled in the h.s. nationals and got pinned twice..real quick.Once by John Matiyko from UVA and forgot the other one.I I never thought Matiyko was that tough (I beat him twice).Maybe Szott was really off.I heard so much about him,but never got to wrestle him because he played football.Another guy that was tough,but never placed at NCAA was a guy name Copache Tyler.I squeaked out a win against him,but I couldn't move my neck for 4 days because his hands where so strong on my neck.Was like a Gorilla

that was at jrs. szott finished 4th, 5th or 6th that year. and jrs was, allegedly, his 1st freestyle tourn ever.

Len Kauffman all time highest pinning 81%, 4th in the world because he weighed more at the end of the match.

I was the coach of the Ft. Wolters, TX freestyle team, and all I had done was wrestle in high school. Len wrestled from an exaggerated staggered stance like Rick Sanders used (they were both from Oregon). The first practice i shot a mid-level single and immediately found myself stacked and pinned. Got up did the same thing with the same result. I said i know you're good, but not that good. So he showed me what he had done. Every practice i'd try something different, finally after about a month i shot atvhis ankle and took him doen, i stopped. Len said why did you stop? I said i'd never got that far before i was in shock.

That year (1969) he won the AAU national freestyle tournament and was the OW, he beat Chuck Jean and Jason Smith among others. At that time the AAU was still the biggest nationsl open freestyle championship.

I was about the same size, and i can attest how quickly you can improve even though you are getting waxed everyday.

Wrestled Kenny Monday in 1985 at US Open. Hit him with a double leg early, he rolled through. I was very briefly leading 3-2. Bad idea. I think I pissed him off. Last points I scored. Not last points he scored!

Could be worse. I was very late for practice one day my freshman year of college. Joe Seay made Kenny stay after, so that I could get a workout in. Kenny wasn't happy. Pretty soon, I wasn't either. And there was no tech fall to end it.

I wrestled Mcilravy a few times and Joe Williams once. Very differant styles, but extremey physical. In the end, wrestling Mac (for the first time) was the worst I've been beat on... Hes the only guy I ever wrestled who was literally more active in the 3rd period thanthe 1st. One of those guys that you never needed to see again:). Never seen a motor like that.

Strongest guy I ever wrestled was Morley, who lost to Carr in the Olympic trials. Wrestled him twice, Eastern AAU finals and National AAU's. He would take both my wrists and lead me around like a puppet. Would push me out of bounds, ref would put me on bottom where he proceeded to turn me every time. Guy was seriously strong.

Only 2 really come to mind.

In high school I faced a defending state champ who'd moved up a weight class from the previous year. I was huge for my weight (cutting 25+). I remember seeing this guy thinking I was so much bigger than him and he looked weak and beating him would make me look even better. How wrong was I. I remember locking up with him and it felt like someone had clamped down on my tricep with a vice grip. I did manage to get an escape, or rather he gave it to me and I wound up on the short end of an 18-1 tech fall.

A couple years ago I dusted off the singlet and decided to jump into the Sunkist Open. I drew a guy from the Marines in my first match and lost by tech fall. It wasn't the loss really it was more getting thrown, literally on my head in the first period that knocked me dizzy. What happened was I stepped out and the ref blew the whistle, but the guy kept going and hit a beautiful looking throw. Too bad it didn't count. I couldn't turn my head for a couple of days after that though.

Lost to some really good wrestlers in HS, a few state champs and such (one of my stories about Ernie G and Bill M. has been posted here), but the guy I hated wrestling the most was a guy who never placed in state, my teammate at 190 pounds, Randy S. I was wrestling 168 at the time and the 178 pounder was horrendous, so the only way I could get a challenge was by wrestling Randy. The guy had a grip of iron. Once he got your wrist, it was hard as hell to break loose. As I recall Randy went 28-2 as a senior, both losses resulting from illegal repeated body slams. The first loss was to a guy who was a state champ and Randy was beating him soundly when for no apparent reason he body slammed the guy. He got a warning, lost a point, and slammed him again for the disqualification. Later that year he won regionals handily, then met up with a 2 time state champion in the semifinals at state....same story as previous loss, was winning handily, then he slammed the champ. Warning and loss of point...then he did the same exact thing. Except this time he was disqualified from the state tourney. Man that guy was a mean SOB, and strong as hell. After wrestling that guy for a year (he was 2 years older than me) it was easy sauce wrestling guys my own size.

I was fortunate to have been on the coaching staff of the All Air Force team from 2001-2003. The first year in, I was invited to the Greco National Team camp and was able to drill/push with some truly great ones, including:

Dremiel Byers (World Gold, Silver and Bronze, olympian)

Matt Lindland (Olymic silver, world silver)

Oscar Wood (Olympian)

Jake Clark (world teamer)

Keith Sieracki (world teamer)

...and several others

In all cases, the wrestlers handed me my hat...mostly with grace and respect, I might add.

I also worked out with several great ones on the Air Force team, including Corey Farkas, Steve Woods, Aaron Sieracki, Jacob Hey, and Phil Johnson. Great experience!

Got beat by my son when he was 16! That was the first year he placed at Fargo...and he refused to go hard with me after that. He tells the story now that he won the match, but his Dad won the fight (he was bloody and bruised, but outscored me probably 75% of the time)! ;-)

Wrestled Rex Holman (OHIO STATE/Arizona State - national champ) & Chris barnes (oklahoma state 2x national champ) at junior nationals in waterloo iowa in 1985 - didn't know it at the time but that was one crappy draw - did win 4 matches between butt kickings though.

Randy Lewis. It was either fall of '83 or early January '84, when he kicked my arse wrestling up a couple weights from his college days, at an open tournament. It was a nice welcome to colege wrestling for me and he would of course go on to win the olympic gold the following summer.

Tod Giles (after AA'ing at Boston U) was our HS head coach for a year. After a tough loss to a rival school he did a few head snaps on me in practice and I think my body broke in half. That hurt as I was only the 91 lber. RIP Coach Tod and I hope Boston University's decision to drop the wrestling program changes.

JoeWells. Oly Trials 76. I was a freshman at Oklahoma State and Joe was one of four legitimate contenders for the Olympic birth. I believe he finished fourth to Dziedzic, Schalles, Kemp. I took him down a couple or three times in the first 3 minute period...pummeled me unmercifully to a 22-4 narrow victory. I thought I might have been the reason they decided to eliminate 9 minute matches and introduce the t-fall all from that match. Broke my nose and collar bone with his hard head. (Joe if you are reading this, I in no way meant to insult you with the hard head comment :)))