gallison

Cowboy Challenge

12 minutes ago, BossHoss said:

How do you get these?  Every time I try to copy and past a link from Track over it never works.

In the top right there is three vertical dots for a drop box.  Select that then the 'information' option (not to be confused with the 'information' option from the Hub).  It will then give you a 'direct link' option.  Copy/paste.

On 2/14/2021 at 1:04 PM, uncle bernard said:

This was one of the biggest stories of 2018 NCAAs, both coming in and after. They wrestled a weak schedule and came in with 6 top 6 seeds (4 top 3's).

Weak schedule?  Non-conference that year they wrestled Illinois, Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Oklahoma State, and Northern Iowa.  They do what they can non-conference.  They under-performed at NCAA's that year, but it happens.

Edited by KCMO2

On 2/14/2021 at 2:04 PM, uncle bernard said:

Not sure why you're so defensive. It's both true that Mizzou is a great program and also has a history over the last several years of having guys over seeded at nationals due to their schedule. Not all their fault. They are the class of the MAC. 

This was one of the biggest stories of 2018 NCAAs, both coming in and after. They wrestled a weak schedule and came in with 6 top 6 seeds (4 top 3's). Not a single one of them wrestled to seed. 2 of them lost 1st round. Their other 3 guys were 15, US, US. Their 15 went 1-2, both losses to lower seeds. 125 went 0-2 and 165 went 1-2. None of their 9 qualifiers wrestled to seed. Did they all choke? No, they just weren't as good as their records that year.

Smith is great and runs a great program, but it's totally fair to criticize their inflated records.

This.  Missouri is great, and it’s not their fault they’re in a weak conference or tend get over-seeded at NCAA’s.  Doesn’t make it less true. 

The problem is moreso the seeding criteria.  I can’t believe they use winning % when these teams have vastly different schedules (which IMO also encourages ducking).   Not to mention weighing all conference championships the same.

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

This.  Missouri is great, and it’s not their fault they’re in a weak conference or tend get over-seeded at NCAA’s.  Doesn’t make it less true. 

The problem is moreso the seeding criteria.  I can’t believe they use winning % when these teams have vastly different schedules (which IMO also encourages ducking).   Not to mention weighing all conference championships the same.

As a side note, I understand Mizzou wrestling is moving to the BIG 12 conference next season, correct?  If so, that will increase their "in conference" competition over the MAC group.

35 minutes ago, gallison said:

As a side note, I understand Mizzou wrestling is moving to the BIG 12 conference next season, correct?  If so, that will increase their "in conference" competition over the MAC group.

I hope this is true. What would be the motivation for the big 12? Do they feel they succeeded in appropriately punishing Mizzou for moving to the SEC and can now let the wrestling team back in?

12 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

Weak schedule?  Non-conference that year they wrestled Illinois, Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Oklahoma State, and Northern Iowa.  They do what they can non-conference.  They under-performed at NCAA's that year, but it happens.

They skipped their usual trip to the scuffle and didn't wrestle in any of the tough tournaments that year (CKLV, Midlands, Scuffle). It was a topic of discussion all year that they were trying a different approach by wrestling a less grueling schedule of basically only dual meets with the idea of being fresher in the post season (or that was the theory I saw online in discussion. Like I said, they are limited by being way better than everyone in the MAC and they did add some decent non-conference duals, but it's a lot easier to prepare for individual match ups in duals than it is to prepare for a big tournament.

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Seems to be the case according to OSU's "Associate Communications AD" (who also took a shot at Flo here) - https://pistolsfiringblog.com/why-osu-didnt-stream-the-early-rounds-of-the-cowboy-challenge-tournament/

So if I’m reading his correctly, it’s because they (OSU) don’t have the ability to do a professional enough broadcast across multiple Mays for espn to broadcast it?

So it is OSU being incompetent. 

he can say what he wants about Flo, but they would’ve broadcasted and promoted every round. 

42 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

So if I’m reading his correctly, it’s because they (OSU) don’t have the ability to do a professional enough broadcast across multiple Mays for espn to broadcast it?

So it is OSU being incompetent. 

he can say what he wants about Flo, but they would’ve broadcasted and promoted every round. 

I dunno, the wording of the answer is weird.    He starts out by saying "the infrastructure isn't in place," but then goes on to say "If we produce a live event, it is to go to ESPN+ or the ESPN family of networks (their choice) and their expectation is that our production is to be professional grade. If they choose not to pick up an event, then it can’t be shown"

Sounds to me like ESPN wouldn't allow them to, but then not sure why he wouldn't lead with that.

I agree, seems weird to complain about Flo since I'm sure they got a lot of complaints during this event about not being able to see some of the matches at all.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I dunno, the wording of the answer is weird.    He starts out by saying "the infrastructure isn't in place," but then goes on to say "If we produce a live event, it is to go to ESPN+ or the ESPN family of networks (their choice) and their expectation is that our production is to be professional grade. If they choose not to pick up an event, then it can’t be shown"

Sounds to me like ESPN wouldn't allow them to, but then not sure why he wouldn't lead with that.

I agree, seems weird to complain about Flo since I'm sure they got a lot of complaints during this event about not being able to see some of the matches at all.

The infrastructure for them to broadcast a multiple-mat event isn't in place. ESPN has a set of production standards for schools to follow for live events.

ESPN has purchased the rights to all of the third-tier programming from Big 12 schools (minus Oklahoma, for the time being) -- so the options for a wrestling broadcast are (1) ESPN linear network, (2) ESPN+, or (3) not at all.

37 minutes ago, ISUChip said:

The infrastructure for them to broadcast a multiple-mat event isn't in place. ESPN has a set of production standards for schools to follow for live events.

ESPN has purchased the rights to all of the third-tier programming from Big 12 schools (minus Oklahoma, for the time being) -- so the options for a wrestling broadcast are (1) ESPN linear network, (2) ESPN+, or (3) not at all.

Ah, so basically “if they had the infrastructure,” ESPN(+) would have broadcast it?

On 2/17/2021 at 11:42 AM, gallison said:

uhhhhhhh where'd ya hear this?!?!?

On 2/22/2021 at 6:14 PM, 1032004 said:

Ah, so basically “if they had the infrastructure,” ESPN(+) would have broadcast it?

They have the "infrastructure" for broadcasting their own events, but beside the legal contract with Espn maybe you have not heard about this Covid thing going around and how it affects where companies and institutions are able to deploy their personnel and resources.  ;_;

53 minutes ago, ionel said:

They have the "infrastructure" for broadcasting their own events, but beside the legal contract with Espn maybe you have not heard about this Covid thing going around and how it affects where companies and institutions are able to deploy their personnel and resources.  ;_;

Well to be fair the answer given didn’t say anything about covid.

When speaking of the “infrastructure” it said they only had space for 2 productions - 1 for the in person video board and 1 for the stream.  Heck with covid how many fans did they even have?  Maybe they would have been better off not not doing an entire production for a video board and instead shown the other mat...

17 hours ago, Cowboy08 said:

uhhhhhhh where'd ya hear this?!?!?

I think it was on a Missouri wrestling blog.  Haven't heard anything official from the University or the coaching staff.  Sounded as if the move was already discussed and agreed to though.   Getter better competition from the BIG 1 would be very welcome.

21 hours ago, gallison said:

I think it was on a Missouri wrestling blog.  Haven't heard anything official from the University or the coaching staff.  Sounded as if the move was already discussed and agreed to though.   Getter better competition from the BIG 1 would be very welcome.

lol completely untrue and a rumor.  The Big 12 has zero interest in letting Mizzou back in and saving them after they bolted the conference

10 minutes ago, Cowboy08 said:

lol completely untrue and a rumor.  The Big 12 has zero interest in letting Mizzou back in and saving them after they bolted the conference

Tell that to Pyles he said on FRL it was happening and he had good sources within the Big 12