Sign in to follow this  
Wrestleknownothing

Only 7 days left for Big 10 positives

With the Big 10's 17 day quarantine rule, one week from today is the last day a wrestler in the Big 10 can test positive for COVID and be back in time for the conference tourney.

With Ohio State and Purdue having just wrestled Iowa it would not be that surprising if they started reporting positive tests soon. That might not be the worst thing from a timing perspective. 

Most teams have two duals scheduled inside of that 17 day window. Is it likely we see some or a lot of those duals cancelled?

Most Big 10 wrestlers have at least 3 matches and, so would get to 4 as soon as they step on the mat at the conference tourney. Most of Iowa's, Michigan's and PSU's rosters are sitting on 3 matches, though there are some with fewer (Verkleeren - 1, Marinelli - 2, Beard - 1)

But what about the guys with no matches? There may be injuries, making their situations moot, but assuming they plan to wrestle, how likely would their selection be with no matches? It seems unlikely the selection committee would rely on past year results. As near as I can tell that group includes Micic, Myles Amine, and Deakin.

6 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

With the Big 10's 17 day quarantine rule, one week from today is the last day a wrestler in the Big 10 can test positive for COVID and be back in time for the conference tourney.

With Ohio State and Purdue having just wrestled Iowa it would not be that surprising if they started reporting positive tests soon. That might not be the worst thing from a timing perspective. 

Most teams have two duals scheduled inside of that 17 day window. Is it likely we see some or a lot of those duals cancelled?

Most Big 10 wrestlers have at least 3 matches and, so would get to 4 as soon as they step on the mat at the conference tourney. Most of Iowa's, Michigan's and PSU's rosters are sitting on 3 matches, though there are some with fewer (Verkleeren - 1, Marinelli - 2, Beard - 1)

But what about the guys with no matches? There may be injuries, making their situations moot, but assuming they plan to wrestle, how likely would their selection be with no matches? It seems unlikely the selection committee would rely on past year results. As near as I can tell that group includes Micic, Myles Amine, and Deakin.

It's hard not to rely on past results with multiple time All Americans, but that said, I don't think they will need to be selected.  If they win the tournament, they qualify right?  Even if they don't hit 4 matches?

34 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

Ok, obviously never a given, but I'd probably pick all 3 to win, but in the event they don't because it's wrestling, I'd think they'd still be chosen, or at least hope.  

I thought OP's question was about if they test positive during a time that forces them to miss the B10 tourney.   I know they can still get a wild card if they miss the B10 tourney due to covid related reasons, but is that where the 4 match thing comes into play?

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I thought OP's question was about if they test positive during a time that forces them to miss the B10 tourney.   I know they can still get a wild card if they miss the B10 tourney due to covid related reasons, but is that where the 4 match thing comes into play?

Ahhh, I misread then, at work so multitasking lol.  

58 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Yes

I just thought of something else. You are only eligible to be chosen if you sit out the conference tourney for a COVID related issue (and are not replaced).

So for Micic, Amine and Deakin being 0-0 would have to be tied back to COVID to be eligible in spite of not wrestling.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I just thought of something else. You are only eligible to be chosen if you sit out the conference tourney for a COVID related issue (and are not replaced).

So for Micic, Amine and Deakin being 0-0 would have to be tied back to COVID to be eligible in spite of not wrestling.

If they don't wrestle at conferences they can't go to NCAA unless they get 4 matches in prior to conferences

27 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

image.png.8f8915788ac566eed34532a573fe423b.png

Still missing the other logic loop that I got wrong above. 

Did you wrestle at conference?

Yes - you are qualified for an at large bid

No - Did you miss conference for COVID related reasons?

Yes - were you replaced at conference?

No - you are qualified for an at large bid

Yes - You are not going to NCAAS.

No - you are not going to NCAAs