Sign in to follow this  
Voice_of_the_Quakers

Ivy League to Allow One-Time Waiver for Grad Students

I think most of Penn's team withdrew from school as well. 

Regardless of your athletic status at an Ivy League school, I would have a hard time justifying $65K-$70K for an entirely online year from a cost/benefit perspective.  Much better in my mind to pick up some work experience with the connections the alumni base offers.  Still would leave more than enough time to keep up your training.  Hopefully, everyone has been taking full advantage of what became their "gap year".

47 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Didn't all the Cornell guys all withdraw from school?  I know everything is fluid but it sure would have been nice if they knew this before. 

For the continuation of their education program possibly, but sports wise their schools winter season was and is still canceled.  Not like they could have came back for this year.  Just think of it like the Red Shirt year other schools get that they would not have been provided otherwise, plus the fact some can now continue athletics for one post grad. year without leaving their school.  

Edited by MadMardigain

39 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

For the continuation of their education program possibly, but sports wise their schools winter season was and is still canceled.  Not like they could have came back for this year.  Just think of it like the Red Shirt year other schools get that they would not have been provided otherwise, plus the fact some can now continue athletics for one post grad. year without leaving their school.  

Right I'm talking academically, I think they all hastily withdrew from school when winter sports were officially cancelled.

Edited by Gantry

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

Didn't all the Cornell guys all withdraw from school?  I know everything is fluid but it sure would have been nice if they knew this before. 

Yeah but it says it’s only for current 4th-year students anyway, so wouldn’t matter for guys like Yianni, Vito, Dean, Glory, etc

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

Mostly irrelevant for Cornell.  The rule is that current *senior* student-athletes may graduate and ask for a year of eligibility as a grad student.  The only senior on the team who had even a shot at starting would be Hunter Richard, who is not currently enrolled and will be a senior next year.  Almost everyone else on the team will be a junior or younger *next* year.

Vito (So), LaJoie (Sr), Yianni (Jr), Saunders (Fr), Yapoujian (Fr/So?), Ramirez (Fr), Foca (Fr), Dean (Jr), Darmstadt (Jr/Sr)/Cardenas (Fr), Fernandes (So?)

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I wonder if the Ivies felt enough of an economic impact from athletes withdrawing that it influenced their decision. Not that I think they would ever admit to being influenced by something as grubby as money. Its about the principal (and interest).

You do know nothing.  Their money is a fraction of a drop in a very very big bucket for each ivy.