bracketbuster

ACC Interactive Bracket Tournament Projections

Once again posting the disclaimer that I tried to do the best but I have no insight into postseason lineups for team or seeding information other than results that are publicly available (huge shoutout to wrestlestat). THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL BY ANY MEANS!

If you know for a fact that I have the lineup wrong, feel free to pass that information along.

ACC Projected Brackets

Reminders

• To change team's entrant: go to lineups tab and enter the name, record, rank their (DO NOT CHANGE THE SEEDS ON THIS SHEET, if you download the bracket they should be protected)
  • To change seeds: Go to the 125R, 133R, etc. and use column A. Team predictions will update based on seeds automatically (no bonus taken into account)
  • Key code for results (next to advancing wrestler): X = Bye, D = Decision, M = Major, T = Tech Fall, F = Fall
  • Any other questions or if you see something that doesn't appear to be working correctly, just ask! It is the first year I am doing this but hopefully I caught all the potential bugs.

My Projected Seeds (ACC record is their record vs. entrants I expect to be in the tournament at the weight)

125 lbs. – 3 qualifiers
#1 Sam Latona (VT) (8-0, 3-0 ACC): 4 CR, 5 WS
#2 Jakob Camacho (NCST) (7-1, 3-1 ACC): 5 CR, 3 WS
#3 Colton Camacho (PITT) (5-4, 3-2 ACC): 37 WS
#4 Patrick McCormick (UVA) (5-4, 1-2 ACC): 40 WS
#5 Logan Agin (DUKE) (2-5, 1-3 ACC): 67 WS
#6 Will Guida (UNC) (3-4, 0-3 ACC): 69 WS

Notes: The thrilling Latona win over J. Camacho gave VT the conference team title and him the #1 seed. Head-to-head wraps up the final four seeds.

133 lbs.  – 4 qualifiers
#1 Mickey Phillipi (PITT) (7-0, 3-0 ACC): 3 CR, 5 WS
#2 Korbin Myers (VT) (6-0, 2-0 ACC): 5 CR, 9 WS
#3 Joe Heilman (UNC) (3-2, 1-1 ACC): 8 CR, 18 WS
#4 Jarrett Trombley (NCST) (6-2, 0-2 ACC): 10 CR, 22 WS
#5 Louie Hayes (UVA) (7-3, 1-3 ACC): 7 CR, 14 WS
#6 Drake Doolittle (DUKE) (1-5, 0-1 ACC): 64 WS

Notes: For 2/3 seed, Gerardi (VT) beat Heilman (UNC) in the dual so I gave Myers the edge as well, plus he is undefeated. At 3/4 , not a great tiebreak but Hernandez (UNC) def. Jack 3-2 (NCST). This could definitely flip and UNC seems to be leaning towards Heilman based on duals to start but they ranked Hernandez in the first coaches rankings.

141 lbs. – 3 qualifiers
#1 Tariq Wilson (NCST) (7-0, 3-0 ACC): 8 CR, 8 WS
#2 Zach Sherman (UNC) (7-1, 3-1 ACC): 9 CR, 10 WS
#3 Brian Courtney (UVA) (7-2, 2-2 ACC): 14 CR, 19 WS
#4 Cole Matthews (PITT) (3-4, 1-3 ACC): 17 CR, 18 WS
#5 Colin Gerardi (VT) (5-1, 1-1 ACC): 23 CR, 25 WS
#6 Patrick Rowland (DUKE) (1-4, 0-3 ACC): 61 WS

Notes: Top 3 easily decided by head-to-head. Bottom three never wrestled. Gerardi has just one conference loss to Matthews but never saw top three as Hillegas wrestled those duals and lost. They also ranked Hillegas but put him in extra matches for last dual so not sure who is the actual starter here.

149 lbs. – 3 qualifiers
#1 Austin O'Connor (UNC) (6-0, 4-0 ACC): 2 CR, 1 WS
#2 Bryce Andonian (VT) (7-1, 1-1 ACC): 10 CR, 10 WS
#3 Ed Scott (NCST) (4-4, 2-3 ACC): 31 CR, 16 WS
#4 Josh Finesilver (DUKE) (3-2, 2-2 ACC): 22 CR, 28 WS
#5 Luke Kemerer (PITT) (3-4, 2-2 ACC): 28 CR, 31 WS
#6 Denton Spencer (UVA) (1-5, 0-5 ACC): 27 WS

Notes: Just two matches didn’t occur here (O’Conner vs. Finesilver and Andonian vs. Kemerer) so head-to-head easily resolves the top two seeds.). Finesilver lost to Scott (12-6) and beat Kemerer (9-5). Kemerer won 3-2 vs. Scott. I kind of think Scott should be the #3 seed here as he took the one point loss and nearly had bonus in the win. Coaches ranking disagrees but I will go with my logic. Finesilver beat Kemerer to decide 4/5 and that also gives Kemerer the lowest rank as he had the one point win.

157 lbs. – 4 qualifiers
#1 Hayden Hidlay (NCST) (7-0, 4-0 ACC): 1 CR, 1 WS
#2 Justin McCoy (UVA) (8-1, 4-1 ACC): 17 CR, 17 WS
#3 Connor Brady (VT) (5-4, 3-2 ACC): 29 CR, 33 WS
#4 Josh McClure (UNC) (4-3, 1-3 ACC): 25 CR, 28 WS
#5 Brandon LaRue (DUKE) (1-4, 0-2 ACC): 60 WS
#6 Tyler Badgett (PITT) (3-5, 0-4 ACC): 56 WS

Notes: Top all wrestled each other so head-to-head decides that. LaRue and Badgett don’t have wins in the conference but LaRue pinned the Pittsburgh backup while Badgett didn’t wrestle at all that weekend so Duke gets the #5 seed as all their common opponents losses were by similar margins.

165 lbs. – 3 qualifiers
#1 Mekhi Lewis (VT) (8-1, 4-1 ACC): 1 CR, 2 WS
#2 Jake Wentzel (PITT) (7-1, 3-1 ACC): 9 CR, 8 WS
#3 Jake Keating (UVA) (8-2, 3-2 ACC): 11 CR, 20 WS
#4 Kennedy Monday (UNC) (5-3, 2-3 ACC): 10 CR, 14 WS
#5 Thomas Bullard (NCST) (3-4, 2-3 ACC): 17 CR, 15 WS
#6 Eric Carter (DUKE) (0-4, 0-4 ACC): 65 WS

Notes: Every match at this weight happened except Wentzel vs. Carter. Top seed will be up for debate as Wentzel beat Lewis by default but was winning at the time. Hopefully Lewis is fine and ready for the postseason. Wentzel lost to Bullard who has three conference defeats so I think Lewis holds the #1 ranking. Carter also didn’t win a dual so he easily gets #6 and we focus on the middle four seeds. Wentzel and Keating are both 2-1 in those matches. Wentzel beat Keating 11-3 for #2 seed which makes me even less sure Lewis ends up the #1. Keating beat both Bullard and Monday. Monday beat Bullard 4-2. Bullard does have the win 4-3 over Wentzel.

174 lbs. – 3 qualifiers
#1 Daniel Bullard (NCST) (6-1, 3-0 ACC): 7 CR, 7 WS
#2 Clay Lautt (UNC) (5-2, 2-0 ACC): 16 CR, 9 WS
#3 Victor Marcelli (UVA) (6-3, 3-2 ACC): 28 CR, 39 WS
#4 Cody Howard (VT) (2-4, 1-2 ACC): 33 WS
#5 Jared McGill (PITT) (4-4, 1-4 ACC): 42 WS
#6 Conor Becker (DUKE) (1-4, 0-2 ACC): 67 WS

Notes: Lautt and Kane switching weights mid-season creates some discussion as both Bullard and Lautt went undefeated in conference at the weight. #1 goes to Bullard because he wrestled the weight all year and beat UNC when Kane was at the weight. Head-to-head decides the last four seeds easily.

184 lbs. – 3 qualifiers
#1 Hunter Bolen (VT) (8-0, 3-0 ACC): 1 CR, 3 WS
#2 Trent Hidlay (NCST) (4-1, 2-1 ACC): 3 CR, 4 WS
#3 Michael Battista (UVA) (6-2, 1-2 ACC): 21 CR, 28 WS
#4 Devin Kane (UNC) (4-2, 1-0 ACC): 22 CR, 12 WS
#5 Gregg Harvey (PITT) (4-4, 1-4 ACC): 24 CR, 19 WS
#6 Luke Chakonis (DUKE) (0-1, 0-1 ACC): 66 WS

Notes: Other weight affected by the Kane/Lautt flip. Kane went undefeated but only saw Harvey (3-2 win) of projected starters. Bolen is #1 as he was undefeated and beat UNC in the dual and got a forfeit vs. Duke. Hidlay only lost to Bolen and also beat UNC in the dual so he is #2. Kane and Battista both beat Harvey and are right next to each other in coaches ranking. I will give the #3 to Battista who wrestled all year at the weight and has the slightly better overall record. Chakonis wrestled just one dual for Duke so this could end up being a forfeit as it was for much of the regular season.

197 lbs. – 3 qualifiers
#1 Nino Bonaccorsi (PITT) (7-1, 4-1 ACC): 7 CR, 7 WS
#2 Jay Aiello (UVA) (8-1, 3-1 ACC): 10 CR, 10 WS
#3 Isaac Trumble (NCST) (6-1, 2-1 ACC): 9 CR, 2 WS
#4 Max Shaw (UNC) (5-3, 2-3 ACC): 18 CR, 24 WS
#5 Andy Smith (VT) (4-4, 0-3 ACC): 29 CR, 35 WS
#6 Kaden Russell (DUKE) (1-4, 1-3 ACC): 40 WS

Notes: This weight looked easy to seed until the last weekend of the season when Trumble who was the favorite to be the #1 seed got pinned by Russell who hadn’t won all year. Then you have VT who seems undecided about whether to go with Smeltzer or Smith. They ranked Smeltzer but then wrestled Smith and the dual and Smeltzer in extra bouts during the final weekend and Smeltzer lost to the backup. Top seed is between Trumble, Bonaccorsi, and Aiello who are all top 10 in coaches ranking. Trumble seemed to be living on the edge and he wasn’t even the starter from the beginning when Aiello beat the NC State now backup so I think it is between Bonaccorsi and Aiello. Bonaccorsi won 7-5 vs. Aiello but also had the 6-1 loss vs. Trumble. So I lean to Bonaccorsi and so does the coaches ranking slightly. I give Aiello the two as he beat the NC State guy they put out. Even though he still has the loss to Russell of Duke who is the only guy in the conference without a coaches ranking I can’t see Trumble falling below #3. Shaw beat both Russell and Smith. Although it was Smeltzer wrestling at the time, Russell was pinned in the Virginia Tech dual.

285 lbs. – 4 qualifiers
#1 Deonte Wilson (NCST) (7-0, 4-0 ACC): 17 CR, 17 WS
#2 Quinn Miller (UVA) (7-1, 2-1 ACC): 20 CR, 16 WS
#3 John Borst (VT) (4-1, 1-1 ACC): 19 CR, 20 WS
#4 Andrew Gunning (UNC) (2-2, 0-2 ACC): 27 CR, 31 WS
#5 Jacob Slinger (PITT) (5-4, 1-2 ACC): 43 WS
#6 Jonah Niesembaum (DUKE) (1-3, 0-2 ACC): 66 WS

Notes: Deonte Wilson is clear #1 winning every conference dual. Miller and Borst only lost to Wilson but VT kept going back and forth with Catka so I am not sure they are settled. However, Miller beat Catka in the dual so he should get the #2 even though Borst has a slight edge in coaches ranking. They just don’t have any common opponents to offset Borst not wrestling in dual. Borst goes #3 as he beat Gunning, 3-1. Singer beat Niesembaum, 6-1, to earn #5 seed.

Team Race
1. NC State – 80.5
2. Virginia Tech – 68.5
3. North Carolina – 53
4. Virginia – 52.5
5. Pittsburgh – 42
6. Duke – 3.5

Virginia Tech took home the dual championship but NC State is the favorite to win the tournament title behind four No. 1 seeds. Both teams have a higher seed kid in five of the 10 weights but the No. 1 seeds and the question mark of Lewis make it a potentially tough hill to climb. It looks like those two teams should easily pull away from the field.

Edited by bracketbuster

Good stuff.  Wow didn’t even see that previously unbeaten Trumble got decked by previously winless Russell

BTW I’d guess that whoever the coaches put in the ranking is most likely the starter.  Definitely duck season this year so who a lot of these coaches send out in the duals doesn’t really seem to matter