6 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Massa played with fire, got burned.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Not counting an OT win over shakur his redshirt year , massa is now 0-6 in his career against penn state and 62-12 against everyone else 

Massa didn’t look to good...I thought coming into the season he could challenge Kemerer but that doesn’t seem likely 

Edited by Antitroll2828

1 hour ago, southend said:

The problem with him is , you never seem to know from high profile match to high profile match , what he's giong to bring.

I thought he got tired early and started forcing near the end. I think a stall call on Starocci was warranted. Hard to believe Masa gave up back there.  Cost them the dual. 

Logan was very much in the match until that overtime mistake.  Hopefully he and the rest of the guys who had close losses will turn it around by next month.

In spite of him losing, I was encouraged by true frosh Jaden Bullock's match against Aaron Brooks.  Wrestling up a weight, he didn't back down from Brooks and kept attacking on his feet the whole match against a proven, more experienced opponent.  

Only one more dual before Big Ten Tournament and still questions about the starting lineup.

125:  Will it be Medley or Ragusin?

133:  Will it be Medley, Ragusin, or Micic?

184:  Will it be Embree, Striggow, Walker, or Bullock?  After the matches this weekend, I would like to see them go with Jaden Bullock.  I like how he went right after Brooks.

50 minutes ago, Sheerstress said:

Logan was very much in the match until that overtime mistake.  Hopefully he and the rest of the guys who had close losses will turn it around by next month.

In spite of him losing, I was encouraged by true frosh Jaden Bullock's match against Aaron Brooks.  Wrestling up a weight, he didn't back down from Brooks and kept attacking on his feet the whole match against a proven, more experienced opponent.  

Lots of freshman represented well. Howard, Bullock, Starocci, and even Barraclough wrestled Storr tough. 

Can Ragusin not make 125?  Hard to place blame in a dual but I like his chances better vs Howard than RBY that’s for sure. 

50 minutes ago, kionga said:

Only one more dual before Big Ten Tournament and still questions about the starting lineup.

125:  Will it be Medley or Ragusin?

133:  Will it be Medley, Ragusin, or Micic?

184:  Will it be Embree, Striggow, Walker, or Bullock?  After the matches this weekend, I would like to see them go with Jaden Bullock.  I like how he went right after Brooks.

125:  Ragusin appears to be strongest at this weight.  He found his ceiling today against RBY at 133.

133:  Micic easy pick here, assuming he comes back this Friday. 

If he and Ragusin had been at these weights today, it might have made a big difference in the outcome.

184:  Hard to say.  Embree is still the most experienced, but Bullock has certainly been looking good.

37 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Lots of freshman represented well. Howard, Bullock, Starocci, and even Barraclough wrestled Storr tough. 

Can Ragusin not make 125?  Hard to place blame in a dual but I like his chances better vs Howard than RBY that’s for sure. 

The announcers said Ragusin weighed in at 129 lbs. today.  He can be back down for Big 10s but not next week for the MSU duel.  I would guess that they will use Ragusin at 125  if he can hold the weight.

One thing for sure about PSU is that they're not sharp at all and I get the feeling that Michigan is in the same boat. Shutting down team activities probably hurts wrestling more than most sports since conditioning is so important.

That, and timing.

PSU doesn’t look “right” yet; their top guys are still a quarter step behind where they were before the layoff.

Starocci’s defense kept him in it today; his offense still isn’t back to the beating Skatzka/Marsteller level from earlier. If he gets back to that level, he’s a top-3 contender.

Something Nolf-like about catching Massa like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Massa played with fire, got burned

Massa does nothing for 8 minutes then maneuvers aggressively to his own back.  Playing with fire means to me that he was trying high risk/high reward moves and got caught.  Massa was sleep walking and rolled to his back for a good night peck on the cheek.

Number 2 in the nation?  He was not even number 2 on the mat in his own match today.  The ref worked harder.

Edited by Lipdrag
Add'n comment.

Massa does nothing for 8 minutes then maneuvers aggressively to his own back.  Playing with fire means to me that he was trying high risk/high reward moves and got caught.  Massa was sleep walking and rolled to his back for a good night peck on the cheek.
Number 2 in the nation?  He was not even number 2 on the mat in his own match today.  The ref worked harder.

Well, it IS Valentine’s Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Is it just me or have officials basically just said "no thank you" to the edge stalling rules this year?

I think this is rooted in the fact we jumped straight into dual meets this season.  As I started to type this it felt like an interesting reach, but as I process I become more and more convinced this is having an impact.

Simply put, the open circuit in the early winter sets the table for this call to be made during the dual stretch.  For starters the opens are impossibly long days with too few mats for too many competitors.  It is advisable for the referee, as much for physical self-preservation as for moving the tournament along, to be diligent about enforcing the edge rules effectively.  This keeps the guys in bounds, the matches moving along swiftly, and the bouts per hour high.  No such concern in duals.

Secondly, each individual match in an open has less gravity than in a dual where team score is in play and all eyes are on a single mat.  With less skin in the game it becomes easier to insert yourself into the match and award the warning or the stall and subsequent point.  Of course wrestling rules weirdos like me understand that not assigning this penalty in the correct moment influences the match just as much as assigning the penalty at an incorrect time.

Finally, without these reps under the circumstances above, referees have less recent practice enforcing the edge rules and a lower level of comfort assigning the penalty correctly down the dual stretch.  As a result they sometimes opt for the less inflammatory action call, even when assessing the penalty would be a better choice.