bracketbuster

MAC Interactive Conference Bracket Projections

THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL BY ANY MEANS!

If you know for a fact that I have the lineup wrong, feel free to pass that information along. For the MAC, in year's past they seed top 8 and the rest just randomly draw into the bracket. So only 8 are marked as seeds but I tried to try to rank them how I saw all the way down just to give an idea of how far some guys might be from seeds. That is also means pairings are essentially worthless but in theory the unseeded guys should not be winning too many matches anyway.

MAC Projected Brackets

Reminders

• To change team's entrant: go to lineups tab and enter the name, record, rank their (DO NOT CHANGE THE SEEDS ON THIS SHEET, if you download the bracket they should be protected)
  • To change seeds: Go to the 125R, 133R, etc. and use column A. Team predictions will update based on seeds automatically (no bonus taken into account)
  • Key code for results (next to advancing wrestler): X = Bye, D = Decision, M = Major, T = Tech Fall, F = Fall
  • Any other questions or if you see something that doesn't appear to be working correctly, just ask! It is the first year I am doing this but hopefully I caught all the potential bugs.

My Projected Seeds (MAC record is their record vs. entrants I expect to be in the tournament at the weight)

125 lbs. – 4 qualifiers
#1 Drew Hildebrandt (CM) (7-0, 5-0 MAC): 2 CR, 2 WS
#2 Connor Brown (MIZZ) (6-2, 2-1 MAC): 18 CR, 17 WS
#3 Jonathan Tropea (RID) (4-2, 2-0 MAC): 33 CR, 43 WS
#4 Jake Ferri (KENT) (10-1, 5-0 MAC): 30 WS
#5 Josh Jones (GM) (7-2, 1-1 MAC): 39 WS
#6 Luke Werner (LHU) (0-0, 0-0 MAC): 7 WS
#7 Lucas Rodriquez (EDIN) (8-3, 2-3 MAC): 51 WS
#8 Tristan Daugherty (BUFF) (5-2, 3-2 MAC): 46 WS
Oscar Sanchez (OHIO) (3-2, 2-1 MAC): 44 WS
Austin Macias (SIUE) (5-5, 2-4 MAC): 54 WS
Lucian Brink (NIU) (3-6, 2-5 MAC): 55 WS
Jacob Manley (CLST) (3-5, 0-3 MAC): 61 WS
Cameron Butler (CLAR) (2-9, 0-6 MAC): 65 WS
Willy Girard (BLOOM) (0-1, 0-0 MAC): 47 WS

Notes: Hildebrandt is the easy choice for #1. He is undefeated, has highest coaches rank, and is the returning champion. Brown (MIZZ), Tropea (RID), and Feeri (KSU) are all undefeated in conference after removing Hildebrant and Brown has the highest coaches rank remaining and lost in OT to him. Ferri has many more wins in conference and just one loss on the year but Tropea gets the #3 as he placed fourth last year and has a coaches ranking. Ferri comes off at #4. Jones (GM) has an interesting case as returning eighth and the only common opponent he beat, Rodriquez (EDIN), by tech fall but Ferri won 12-3 so not enough for me to flip them. Ferri’s best win this year is probably 5-2 vs. Sanchez of Ohio and that is why he is not higher for me. After Ferri is off the board, Jones (GM) and Sanchez (Ohio) are the only undefeated wrestlers vs. remaining field. With no common opponents, Jones gets #5 based on being a returning place winner and overall record. The obvious wild card is Jacob Werner from Lock Haven who was 30-5 last year, placing third in the conference. I debated letting him go in unseeded for random draw but I will give him the #6 just so he can’t blow up the bracket right from the start. Sanchez and Rodriquez go for #7. Ferri is the only common opponent so not a great way to decide it. They both got dominated and have similar best wins so I went with the record here and picked Rodriquez. Sanchez vs. Daugherty for the final seed. Both beat Brink by a similar score. It seems like Sanchez has been up for discussion for a while but he wrestled extra matches in that dual where Daugherty won so I give to #8 to the guy who wrestled and Sanchez will go in unseeded.

133 lbs.  – 5 qualifiers
#1 Matthew Schmitt (MIZZ) (6-1, 1-0 MAC): 9 CR, 11 WS
#2 Bryce West (NIU) (7-3, 2-2 MAC): 28 CR, 41 WS
#3 Drew Marten (CM) (5-3, 2-2 MAC): 25 CR, 24 WS
#4 Brendon Fenton (KENT) (7-0, 2-0 MAC): 49 WS
#5 Mario Guillen (OHIO) (4-2, 2-0 MAC): 28 CR, 57 WS
#6 Logan Heil (CLST) (3-4, 0-2 MAC): 42 WS
#7 Richie Koehler (RID) (6-1, 1-0 MAC): 44 WS
#8 Tye Varndell (EDIN) (6-2, 3-2 MAC): 48 WS
Cole Rhone (BLOOM) (2-0, 1-0 MAC): 68 WS
Aaron Schulist (SIUE) (2-0, 1-0 MAC): 51 WS
Caleb Svingala (BUFF) (1-3, 0-3 MAC): 63 WS
Hunter Verge (CLAR) (3-4, 0-2 MAC): 62 WS
Anthony Glasl (GM) (1-6, 0-2 MAC): 69 WS
Matt Maloney (LHU) (0-0, 0-0 MAC): 64 WS

Notes: Schmitt has just one conference win but he has the top coaches ranking and his win was 11-1 vs. Marten who is the highest returning place winner at the weight so he is #1. #2 is not so obvious. Marten is next in coaches ranking and highest returning placer but he lost 9-6 to West. West got pinned by Varndell and Varndell got teched by Marten. I will go with West at #2 via the head-to-head with Marten as the tech excludes Varndell. Fenton is interesting pick here at 7-0. He does have wins over Heil and Varndell but hard to overlook his own conference coaches not giving him a conference ranking. Marten gets #3. Guillen is next the coaches ranking but he lost to Gould from Kent State so I will slot Fenton #4. Koehler, Heil, Koehler, and Varndell fight for the last four seeds. With Guillen winning 9-6 vs. Heil as the only head-to-head and having the coaches ranking, he is #5. No real separation when looking at common opponents so I give #6 to Heil who ironically placed sixth last year. Slight edge to Koehler at #7 as he beat Glasl (GM), 10-4, while Varndell won 4-1 and secures the #8.

141 lbs. – 4 qualifiers
#1 Allan Hart (MIZZ) (9-0, 3-0 MAC): 4 CR, 7 WS
#2 Dresden Simon (CM) (5-1, 4-1 MAC): 11 CR, 9 WS
#3 Saul Ervin (SIUE) (7-3, 5-2 MAC): 18 CR, 27 WS
#4 Derek Spann (BUFF) (4-2, 3-2 MAC): 21 CR, 17 WS
#5 Josh Mason (BLOOM) (3-1, 0-0 MAC): 22 WS
#6 Ryan Burgos (EDIN) (8-3, 1-2 MAC): 60 WS
#7 McKenzie Bell (RID) (4-2, 1-0 MAC): 59 WS
#8 Caleb Brooks (NIU) (5-6, 1-5 MAC): 48 WS
Joseph Caprella (CLST) (3-2, 2-1 MAC): 52 WS
Kyran Hagan (OHIO) (2-1, 1-1 MAC): 41 WS
Kyle Schickel (CLAR) (4-5, 2-3 MAC): 51 WS
Avery Mutschler (KENT) (1-8, 0-4 MAC): 62 WS
AJ Poindexter (GM) (0-7, 0-2 MAC): 70 WS
Cole Manley (LHU) (0-0, 0-0 MAC): 23 WS

Notes: Hart is undefeated, returning runner-up, highest coaches ranking, and beat Simon who is a returning champion. Simon is the #2 as he has the second-best coaches ranking at the weight and his only loss on the year is to Hart by a 4-1 score. I will go with Ervin (SIUE) at #3. He lost Schickel by a point but avenged that loss with a major a week later. He also beat Ervin 5-1 who is the only other guy who has a coaches ranking on the board. Ervin gets #4. Mason from Bloomsburg is a returning placer but his only loss came when he split extra matches against the Buffalo backup. #5 to me comes down to Mason and Burgos. With little separation in common opponents I give it to Mason, the returning place winner. Burgos, Brooks, Caprella, and Bell are all undefeated against remaining wrestlers. Common opponents does nothing to separate them so Burgos is #6 with 8-3 record. Remaining three go for #7 and Bell has the only winning record of that group. I gave Brooks the #8 because he lost to Simon by major and Caprella got teched.

149 lbs. – 4 qualifiers
#1 Brock Mauller (MIZZ) (12-0, 4-0 MAC): 3 CR, 3 WS
#2 Anthony Cheloni (NIU) (6-2, 4-1 MAC): 50 WS
#3 Tyler Vath (EDIN) (9-1, 4-1 MAC): 44 WS
#4 Kody Komara (KENT) (9-4, 5-2 MAC): 33 WS
#5 Marcus Robinson (CLST) (5-3, 2-1 MAC): 45 WS
#6 Corbyn Munson (CM) (3-3, 0-3 MAC): 42 WS
#7 Seth Koleno (CLAR) (7-6, 2-2 MAC): 61 WS
#8 Cardeionte Wilson (SIUE) (4-6, 1-5 MAC): 58 WS
Wyatt McCarthy (RID) (4-2, 0-0 MAC): 52 WS
Ty Raines (BUFF) (3-3, 2-1 MAC): 59 WS
Christian Gannone (BLOOM) (1-4, 0-1 MAC): 62 WS
Dustin Morgillo (GM) (0-6, 0-1 MAC): 70 WS
Alex Mosconi (OHIO) (0-8, 0-6 MAC): 69 WS
Kollin Myers (LHU) (0-0, 0-0 MAC): 38 WS

Notes: Only one guy at the weight has a coaches ranking, he is undefeated, and a returning conference champion. #1 seed Mauller. Vath (EDIN) was undefeated coming into the last weekend of the season but he lost to Cheloni who gets the #2 seed. Cheloni lost 9-3 to Mauller and Northern Iowa. That opens up #3 for Vath. Komara and McCarthy are now the undefeated wrestlers versus remaining field after top 3 come out. McCarthy unfortunately only seems to hit backups in the MAC and an EIWA heavy schedule so the five conference wins give Komara the nod at #4. Robinson and McCarthy now up for discussion and Robinson placed seventh last year while McCarthy still has no peers really and his 4-2 record just isn’t enough. Robinson had wons over Munson and Mosconi to secure #5. McCarthy, Koleno, and Munson up for #6. Koleno beat the Rider backups handily so that takes out McCarthy who missed the dual. Munson lost to the Buffalo backup and the starter has still not gotten a seed. Munson ultimately secures the #6 as he beat Jaivon Jones who saw significant action for NIU while Koleno lost to him. Koleno comes off at #7. Although he lost to 6-2 to Buffalo backup, the Buffalo starter lost to Wilson (SIUE) who Koleno beat twice. Wilson now is up for discussion and he beat Jones of Northern Illinois who was a common opponent at this weight. He also beat Raines of Buffalo to get #8. Buffalo got discussed a lot but Raines ends up on the outside with only conference wins over Gannone and Mosconi. Gannone of Bloomsburg is also unseeded as an eighth place fininisher a year ago.

157 lbs.  – 4 qualifiers
#1 Jesse Dellavecchia (RID) (4-0, 1-0 MAC): 3 CR, 4 WS
#2 Jarrett Jacques (MIZZ) (8-1, 4-0 MAC): 8 CR, 9 WS
#3 Justin Ruffin (SIUE) (8-2, 6-1 MAC): 16 CR, 14 WS
#4 Alex Carida (BLOOM) (4-2, 1-0 MAC): 32 CR, 38 WS
#5 Johnny Lovett (CM) (4-2, 4-1 MAC): 33 CR, 36 WS
#6 Daniel Patton (CLST) (4-4, 1-1 MAC): 44 WS
#7 Jordan Slivka (OHIO) (4-2, 2-1 MAC): 31 CR, 26 WS
#8 Daniel Segura (GM) (3-3, 1-1 MAC): 53 WS
Anthony Gibson (NIU) (5-6, 3-6 MAC): 32 WS
Michael Petite (BUFF) (3-4, 2-4 MAC): 40 WS
Peter Pappas (EDIN) (8-3, 3-3 MAC): 57 WS
Taylor Ortz (CLAR) (5-5, 1-5 MAC): 47 WS
Ian Senz (KENT) (2-11, 0-6 MAC): 67 WS
Jonathan Ross (LHU) (0-0, 0-0 MAC): 25 WS

Notes: Dellavecchia is the retuning conference champion and has the best coaches rank in a deep weight for the conference (six guys with top 33 coaches rankings). He is undefeated at 4-0 but hasn’t wrestled since January 24 so hopefully he is fully mended for the tournament. Jacques was a runner-up last year and has the eighth spot in the coaches ranking. His only loss came to Carr of Iowa State. All four of the guys with remaining coaches rankings are undefeated against the remaining wrestlers. Ruffin is the #3 seed as a returning fourth place who has the best remaining coaches ranking by 15 slots (lost 4-3 to Jacques) and slightly more dominant wins against common opponents. Ruffin, Carida, and Lovett all have wins against Petitte and Gibson who are both returning eighth place finishers from last year. The remaining three are all tight as evidenced by the back-to-back-to-back coaches ranking. #4 goes to Carida who is a returning place winner (seventh). #5 is Lovett who majored Gibson (returning placer) while Slivka just had a decision win. This will be somewhat controversial but Slivka slips to me behind Patton (#6 seed) as Patton won in tiebreaks while Slivka missed that dual and Patton has a slightly more dominant win against Senz of Kent State. Slivka takes #7 seed on the strength of his coaches ranking. Segua (GM) is #8 as he beat Gibson 15-9. Gibson also beat Petitte the other returning placer (w, 5-4) so two returning placer go in unseeded in my projections. Also, I didn’t seed him with no matches but Ross of LHU went a crazy 53-8 last year in open tournaments. Ross also beat Slivka during one of those matches so he has a case for a seed but we will see what they do with Lock Haven. I will also note that although Pappas went 8-3, he is unseeded as he has no wins above him and lost to both Segura and Petite.

165 lbs. – 2 qualifiers
#1 Keegan O'Toole (MIZZ) (9-0, 3-0 MAC): 13 CR, 10 WS
#2 Izzak Olejnik (NIU) (10-1, 6-1 MAC): 20 CR, 17 WS
#3 Colt Yinger (OHIO) (3-2, 1-0 MAC): 30 CR, 26 WS
#4 Alex Cramer (CM) (4-2, 3-1 MAC): 39 WS
#5 Jake Silverstein (RID) (5-1, 2-0 MAC): 44 WS
#6 Riley Smucker (CLST) (3-2, 1-1 MAC): 42 WS
#7 Cornelius Schuster (GM) (1-3, 0-1 MAC): 40 WS
#8 Kolby Ho (CLAR) (8-3, 2-2 MAC): 35 WS
James Limongi (KENT) (4-4, 1-2 MAC): 51 WS
Noah Grover (BUFF) (3-4, 2-3 MAC): 52 WS
PJ Gohn (EDIN) (5-5, 0-3 MAC): 54 WS
Chase Deihl (SIUE) (1-9, 0-6 MAC): 62 WS
Matt Benedetti (BLOOM) (0-2, 0-1 MAC): 70 WS
Tanner Updegraff (LHU) (0-0, 0-0 MAC): 66 WS

Notes: Keegan O’Toole is undefeated on the year and has the highest coaches ranking. He beat Olejnik (5-1) and pinned O’Dwyer in the Ohio dual when he wrestled instead of Yinger and those are the only other two with coaches rankings. Olejnik is #2 as he has the next highest coaches ranking, is a returning runner-up in the conference, and is more dominate in common opponents. His only loss was to O’Toole. Yinger, Silverstein, and Cramer for third seed. Yinger (30th in coaches ranking; w, 5-4 vs. Grover) and Cramer (returning eighth place; w,6-4 vs. Grover) are tight and Grover is the only common opponent this year. I will defer to coaches rank in this scenario. Silverstein and Cramer only undefeated wrestlers vs. remaining field and they have no common opponents at all. I think they end up 4/5 either way so not a huge deal. Cramer beat Smucker (returning fifth), 6-1, and Silverstein beat Schuster (returning sixth), 12-7. I gave the nod to the returning place winner Cramer. Silverstein is #5 over Grover and Smucker based on common opponents wins where other two lost. Grover, Smucker, Ho, and Schuster decide #6. Grover lost to Clarion backup so he is out of running. No differences among common opponents this year so I will defer to last year and Smucker is the highest remaining returning placer. Schuster follows with sixth place last year. Grover, Ho, and Limongi for the final seed. Ho still has the win over Buffalo’s backup in the dual that Grover missed. The only common opponent is Olejnik who pinned Ho and beat Limongi 6-3 but I think a more fair way is to give it Ho who has the better overall record and beat Kent State in that dual.

174 lbs. – 3 qualifiers
#1 Peyton Mocco (MIZZ) (9-0, 3-0 MAC): 9 CR, 10 WS
#2 Andrew McNally (KENT) (6-1, 4-0 MAC): 8 WS
#3 Mason Kauffman (NIU) (9-2, 5-2 MAC): 21 CR, 28 WS
#4 Angel Garcia (RID) (5-1, 2-0 MAC): 33 CR, 38 WS
#5 Paul Pierce (GM) (3-3, 1-1 MAC): 45 WS
#6 Jacob Oliver (EDIN) (7-3, 1-3 MAC): 18 CR, 20 WS
#7 Tanner Culver (BLOOM) (2-3, 1-0 MAC): 51 WS
#8 Kevin Gschwendtner (SIUE) (4-6, 1-4 MAC): 49 WS
Caleb Hetrick (CLAR) (5-5, 1-2 MAC): 61 WS
Anthony Rice (CLST) (4-4, 2-1 MAC): 54 WS
Jake Lowell (CM) (2-5, 1-4 MAC): 53 WS
Jake Lanning (BUFF) (0-5, 0-4 MAC): 63 WS
JohnMark Williams (OHIO) (2-2, 0-1 MAC): 48 WS
Austin Bell (LHU) (0-0, 0-0 MAC): 43 WS

Notes: Another Missouri kid at #1 as Mocco has the highest coaches ranking and is undefeated. McNally also has an interesting case as he beat Kaufman (21st in coaches rank) a little more convincingly and his only loss is by default to Hetrick although that has to count for something. How the injury default is viewed comes into effect at #2 as well. McNally beat both Oliver and Kaufman who have coaches rankings and is the returning runner-up in the conference. Garcia is also undefeated and beat Hetrick 9-5. I will go with McNally just on the quality of wins for #2. That brings Kauffman into discussion and Hetrick is once again the only common opponent between Garcia and Kauffman. Garcia won by four, compared to just one Kauffman. However, I will go with Kauffman here who has an OT win vs. Oliver and lost to Mocco in tiebreaks. I feel like Oliver needs to come off the board soon but he lost to Pierce who lost to Garcia so Rider is the #4 seed. Pierce than goes #5 as his win vs. Oliver pushes him up the rankings while Oliver slots #6. Culver, Gschwendter, Rice, and Hetrick are now undefeated against remaining field. SIUE each beat up on other Clarion starters in the dual so Hetrick is out. Culver was slightly more dominant in the win against Lanning so he is #7. #8 goes to Gschwendtner as he gave McNally a tougher match than Rice.  Worth noting, Bell from Lock Haven went 24-14 last year, including a 3-2 record at the MAC Tournament to place seventh so he is going to be a tough draw for somebody. Lowell of Central Michigan also placed sixth at the MACs last year.

184 lbs. – 3 qualifiers
#1 Jeremiah Kent (MIZZ) (7-0, 1-0 MAC): 10 CR, 9 WS
#2 Brit Wilson (NIU) (10-1, 7-0 MAC): 14 CR, 11 WS
#3 George Walton (RID) (4-1, 1-0 MAC): 27 CR, 26 WS
#4 Kyle Davis (GM) (3-1, 1-0 MAC): 34 WS
#5 Carson Brewer (OHIO) (4-5, 1-1 MAC): 54 WS
#6 Deandre Nassar (CLST) (5-2, 2-1 MAC): 33 CR, 43 WS
#7 Ben Cushman (CM) (2-4, 2-3 MAC): 50 WS
#8 Tyler Bates (KENT) (5-4, 2-3 MAC): 49 WS
Ryan Yarnell (SIUE) (6-4, 2-3 MAC): 35 WS
Max Wohlabaugh (CLAR) (3-3, 1-2 MAC): 56 WS
Ethan Ducca (EDIN) (6-6, 1-4 MAC): 58 WS
Hoose Guiseppe (BUFF) (2-4, 1-4 MAC): 60 WS
Bruno Stolfi (BLOOM) (0-3, 0-1 MAC): 67 WS
Colin Fegley (LHU) (0-0, 0-0 MAC): 59 WS

Notes: Jeremiah Kent is the #1 but I have heard the rumors he is not a definite go with injury concerns. He is undefeated and has the highest coaches ranking. He only has the one conference result with his injury and Missouri wrestling a different schedule but that win was a fall vs. Cushman who Wilson (No. 13 coaches) beat 9-1 and Nassar (No. 33 coaches) beat 3-2. Wilson is a returning conference champion and gets #2 as his only loss is to Kechesian of UNI. Walton, Davis, and Brewer up for discussion next. Walton (#3 seed) has the coaches rank and he won in the dual vs. George Mason while Brewer doesn’t have the record even if he is undefeated against remaining conference mainly because he didn’t get many matches. Brewer did lose to Wilson just 5-3 and beat Nassar.  Davis over Brewer for #4 although there are no common opponents, Davis has the better record. That leaves Brewer as the only undefeated wrestler from #5 down and his win is over Nassar in tiebreaks who has the only coaches ranking yet to be seeded. Take Nassar out and Cushman becomes the undefeated with a win over Ducca. However, Yarnell, Bates, and Wohlbaugh are all 1-1 against each other to decide the final two seeds. I will go with Cushman who I think is more dominant than that trio who split results. For the final seed, I think Ducca is out of the running as he lost to Bates 9-2 in his only match against those three. For #8, went with Bates since he had the most dominate win, 6-1 vs. Yarnell, and lost by just one, 3-2, to Wohlabaugh. Yarnell beat Wohlabaugh 8-5 in that matchup.

197 lbs. – 3 qualifiers
#1 Greg Bulsak (CLAR) (7-0, 4-0 MAC): 8 CR, 6 WS
#2 Rocky Elam (MIZZ) (7-0, 3-0 MAC): 14 CR, 17 WS
#3 Colin McCracken (KENT) (8-3, 3-1 MAC): 31 WS
#4 Ben Smith (CLST) (3-3, 1-1 MAC): 29 WS
#5 Landon Pelham (CM) (4-3, 3-2 MAC): 26 CR, 25 WS
#6 Austin Stith (GM) (4-2, 2-0 MAC): 42 WS
#7 Cody Mulligan (EDIN) (5-4, 2-3 MAC): 47 WS
#8 Gage Braun (NIU) (4-5, 3-3 MAC): 28 CR, 30 WS
Jake Walker (OHIO) (1-4, 1-1 MAC): 56 WS
Matt Correnti (RID) (1-4, 0-2 MAC): 37 WS
Parker McClellan (LHU) (0-0, 0-0 MAC): 48 WS
Sam Mitchell (BUFF) (3-4, 1-4 MAC): 57 WS
Austin Andres (SIUE) (1-8, 0-6 MAC): 64 WS
Chase Dull (BLOOM) (0-2, 0-0 MAC): 66 WS

Notes: Bulsak and Elam both are undefeated on the year. I give the #1 to Bulsak as the returning conference champion who also has the higher coaches ranking. The only common opponent all year with the top two was Andres who both beat handily. #3 seed goes contrary to the coaches ranking as Stith (GM) and McCracken (KENT) join Walker (just one win all year and lost to the NIU backup) as the only guys undefeated against remaining conference foes. Both Stith and McCracken have identical 5-3 wins over Mulligan in only common opponent. I will go with McCracken at #3 who placed fifth last year. #4 goes to Smith (CM) who lost to McCracken 4-3 but beat Pelham 6-4 and also pinned Malcolm Wiley of Navy who defeated Stith (GM). #4 seed is also a returning fourth place finisher. #5 seed is between Stith and Pelham. Pelham has the coaches ranking and beat Braun 6-4 who holds the other remaining ranking. Only common opponent is Mulligan who Stith beat 5-3 and Pelham beat 4-3. It is tight so I will defer to the coaches judgment and go with Pelham at #5. Braun holds the final coaches ranking on the board but he still has the outstanding loss to Mulligan who Stith beat so George Mason goes in at #6. The loss against Mulligan continues to block Braun but Mulligan has no remaining losses on the board so I put him at #7 and that frees up Braun for #8 seed. Crazy to think he goes there with a coaches ranking but I don’t know how I can justify him being higher with this year’s results. Braun was also third at the conference last year while Mulligan was eighth. Walker (eighth last year) is also a returning place winner. McClellan of Lock Haven was 16-18, 0-2 at MACs last year. He pinned Mitchell but took losses to Bulsak (7-0), Pelham (9-5), Walker (4-1), and Smith (8-1) which is why he stayed unseeded.

285 lbs. – 3 qualifiers
#1 Matt Stencel (CM) (7-0, 4-0 MAC): 4 CR, 3 WS
#2 Ethan Laird (RID) (6-0, 2-0 MAC): 9 CR, 6 WS
#3 Zach Elam (MIZZ) (6-3, 1-1 MAC): 12 CR, 11 WS
#4 Sam Schuyler (BUFF) (4-0, 2-0 MAC): 23 CR, 25 WS
#5 Jon Spaulding (EDIN) (8-2, 3-2 MAC): 26 CR, 25 WS
#6 Colton McKiernan (SIUE) (5-2, 3-1 MAC): 30 CR, 34 WS
#7 Max Ihry (NIU) (6-4, 0-3 MAC): 32 CR, 24 WS
#8 John Kelbly (CLST) (3-3, 2-1 MAC): 48 WS
Tyler Bagoly (CLAR) (3-4, 1-2 MAC): 51 WS
Jacob Cover (KENT) (4-7, 1-4 MAC): 52 WS
Jordan Earnest (OHIO) (0-5, 0-2 MAC): 47 WS
Jarrett Walters (BLOOM) (1-3, 0-1 MAC): 57 WS
Ali Salem (GM) (1-3, 0-2 MAC): 71 WS
Isaac Reid (LHU) (0-0, 0-0 MAC): 46 WS

Notes: Deep weight for the conference to wrap up with as they have seven guys in the coaches rankings and seven guys who are returning place winners in the conference. Schuyler and Elam only have coaches rankings and Kelby and Earnest are only returning place winners so nine total in that group so at least one will go in unseeded. Stencel, Laird, and Schuyler all come in undefeated but Schuyler did not wrestle in the Central Michigan dual against Stencil so that takes him out for me. No common opponents this year so I go with the coaches ranking of Stencel #1. Elam’s only loss in conference is Stencil but Elam lost to Wood and Laird beat Wood and also has the coaches ranking edge for #2 seed. Stencil and Laird were also first and second at the MAC last year although Laird was at 197 lbs.. There is no definite result to decide #3 as Schuyler, Elam, and Kelbly have no remaining losses so the coaches ranking seals #3 for Elam. Schuyler, McKiernan, and Kelbly now at the table for #4. McKiernan majored a guy Kelbly went to tiebreaks with before winning but there are no other common opponents from this year so I again defer to coaches rank and Schuyler is #4. With Kelbly still behind McKiernan, Spaulding comes to the table. Both majored Cover of Kent State. With no major difference in common opponents. Both beat Ihry in tiebreaks, I defer again to coaches ranking to favor Spaulding at #5. Spaulding was also the MAC runner-up at this weight a year ago. That leaves McKiernan over Kelbly at #6 for previous reasons discussed. That now brings Ihry and Bagoly to the table. Bagoly pinned Cover who took Kelbly to tiebreaks. Ihry gets #7 based on coaches ranking. He was also fifth in the conference last year. One seed left and it is down to Kelbly and Bagoly. Mentioned the Cover match but there is also the common opponent Riley Smith (Navy) who beat Kelbly 3-2 and neat Bagoly 12-7 which somewhat discounts the other common opponent. #8 I go with Kelbly as a returning placer who also has an ever so slightly better record (more so because of returning placer). That leaves Earnest who doesn’t have a win against good competition but placed third last year as unseeded. He took a rideout loss to Kelbly and a 5-3 defeat against Cover so is not really in the discussion for seeds to me.

Team Race
1. Missouri – 171.5
2. Central Michigan – 109
3. Rider – 91.5
4. Northern Illinois – 88
5. Kent State – 68.5
6. Cleveland State – 58.5
7. Edinboro – 54.5
8. George Mason – 49.5
9. SIU Edwardsville – 44.5
10. Ohio – 39
11. Clarion – 32.5
12. Buffalo – 31
13. Bloomsburg – 29.5
14. Lock Haven – 12.5 (Werner was the only guy I had seeded for them)

Missouri has six #1’s, three #2’s, and a #3 in Zach Elam who could make the finals so they are perhaps a bigger favorite to win their conference title than Iowa is in the Big 10 (obviously nationals will stack up differently but they are very good). Even if Jeremiah Kent can’t go for Missouri, their backup beat who I have as the #5 seed currently by a major but did lose to one of my unseeded guys by two points. If Missouri really is leaving the MAC for the Big 12 as the rumor has it that will open a ton of points next year for teams.

Totally unrelated to wrestling but this is my jam and I love what you have built out for each conference!! My biggest recommendation to you is that since you are sharp enough to have built this out in Excel/ Sheets with iferrors, vlookups, index/matches etc. then you should take it to the next level. Teach yourself Tableau to make this extra sexy next year (or try for NCAAs in a few weeks if you want to turn your hair grey). It's really not a hard app once you get the hang of it. A couple of buddies actually did something similar for basketball last year that was based off what someone else built that used a basic interactive decision tree. It wasn't as appealing as the source material but they were added to projects by showing gumption. Knowing how to use a data visualizer combined with knowing how to actually say "advanced Excel" on your resume is worth at least $40k over a typical BA salary, and if you reach out to a data visualization mgr/director on LinkedIn and show them this work then you would have an interview within a week. Great job and I see a bright future ahead for you!

4 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Totally unrelated to wrestling but this is my jam and I love what you have built out for each conference!! My biggest recommendation to you is that since you are sharp enough to have built this out in Excel/ Sheets with iferrors, vlookups, index/matches etc. then you should take it to the next level. Teach yourself Tableau to make this extra sexy next year (or try for NCAAs in a few weeks if you want to turn your hair grey). It's really not a hard app once you get the hang of it. A couple of buddies actually did something similar for basketball last year that was based off what someone else built that used a basic interactive decision tree. It wasn't as appealing as the source material but they were added to projects by showing gumption. Knowing how to use a data visualizer combined with knowing how to actually say "advanced Excel" on your resume is worth at least $40k over a typical BA salary, and if you reach out to a data visualization mgr/director on LinkedIn and show them this work then you would have an interview within a week. Great job and I see a bright future ahead for you!

This.  Do this.

I have no more reacts today otherwise you'd have got one.

3 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Thanks for the kind words. This is definitely not my original work. I would say I am smart enough to take the NCAA Interactive brackets from last year's tournament and customize them to fit each conference and then add in some other things to incorporate like coaches ranking, wrestlestat ranking, RPI, records, etc. I am just nerdy enough that I will have to check Tableau out. It helped that I had tons of free time over the summer when I was "supposed" to be working at home.

21 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Teach yourself Tableau to make this extra sexy next year (or try for NCAAs in a few weeks if you want to turn your hair grey). It's really not a hard app once you get the hang of it. A couple of buddies actually did something similar for basketball last year that was based off what someone else built that used a basic interactive decision tree. It wasn't as appealing as the source material but they were added to projects by showing gumption.

I was actually going to look into this today and then I got stopped at $70 a month unless I am looking at the wrong thing. I don't want to sound cheap but the two week trial isn't going to cut it depending on how hard this is to learn. I do love the idea though if I can make this do all the things I am envisioning.

4 hours ago, bracketbuster said:

I was actually going to look into this today and then I got stopped at $70 a month unless I am looking at the wrong thing. I don't want to sound cheap but the two week trial isn't going to cut it depending on how hard this is to learn. I do love the idea though if I can make this do all the things I am envisioning.

Tableau Public is your friend and last I heard the training courses are still free.

Also if your company has Salesforce you should be able to sneak a full license into your cost center because 1) it's the beginning of the year so by all means blow your dept's budget before someone else does, and 2) Salesforce purchased Tableau last year so it brought the cost down significantly. Please feel free to shoot me a DM

MAC Preseeds are out: https://getsomemaction.com/news/2021/2/23/mac-announces-pre-seeds-for-mac-wrestling-championships.aspx

It only shows the seeded kids. Does anybody have a workaround for Track: https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/opentournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=619497132

Looks like the teams are loaded but they are not able to be shown. Not sure why if they have the preseeds out but I would be curious who Lock Haven is sending. Looks like Bloomsburg (9), Lock Haven (8), and Northern Illinois (9) will not have full teams from what you can see.

11 hours ago, bracketbuster said:

MAC Preseeds are out: https://getsomemaction.com/news/2021/2/23/mac-announces-pre-seeds-for-mac-wrestling-championships.aspx

It only shows the seeded kids. Does anybody have a workaround for Track: https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/opentournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=619497132

Looks like the teams are loaded but they are not able to be shown. Not sure why if they have the preseeds out but I would be curious who Lock Haven is sending. Looks like Bloomsburg (9), Lock Haven (8), and Northern Illinois (9) will not have full teams from what you can see.

Niu is missing a 125. And they only have 1 listed on wrestlestat. Lock Haven was expected I had heard they wouldn't have a full lineup.