kgschalhoub

Is Starocci the next Bo Nickal?

As a lifelong PSU fan the answer is No

Stylistically Starrocci doesn't resemble Bo

If you mean Starrocci will make some noise his freshman year and win 3 straight titles then yeah. It's possible

Edited by portajohn

I think Starocci will win 3 or 4. 

With another year in the PSU room, he will be an absolute monster. He'll be rolling with Brooks for the next 3 years. He'll have the best upper weight coaches in the country. 

But, most importantly, it seems like he's genuinely willing and eager to learn. From guys like Bo, Nolf, Cenzo, DT, Cael, Casey and Varner. I don't know that Carter necessarily has the same amount of "funk" that Bo or Nolf have. But I think he's got great hips and a head/hands defense that is nearly impossible to get through. Reminds me more of Zain or Cenzo in that regard.

Edited by Le duke

2 hours ago, Le duke said:

With another year in the PSU room, he will be an absolute monster. He'll be rolling with Brooks for the next 3 years. He'll have the best upper weight coaches in the country. 

But, most importantly, it seems like he's genuinely willing and eager to learn. From guys like Bo, Nolf, Cenzo, DT, Cael, Casey and Varner. I don't know that Carter necessarily has the same amount of "funk" that Bo or Nolf have. But I think he's got great hips and a head/hands defense that is nearly impossible to get through. Reminds me more of Zain or Cenzo in that regard.

Pretty sure I remember hearing on a broadcast that Cael said he’s the hardest worker he’s coached. That’s saying quite a bit. Sky’s the limit. 

Lots of things to like about him, but at the end of the day he doesn't score a lot on his feet against top guys.  Amazing rider, amazing defense and hard worker but I just don't feel like he's got that gear to hit a shot and score when he's down one with 30 seconds left.  I'm only talking about this year though because he will win an NCAA title if he stays the course and doesn't get hurt.

Pretty sure I remember hearing on a broadcast that Cael said he’s the hardest worker he’s coached. That’s saying quite a bit. Sky’s the limit. 

Yeah. DT, Cenzo, Hall and others light up when they talk about him. Putting 2 and 2 together, based on his and other’s performance, I have to wonder if PSU is going absolutely nuts during practice right now to make up for the lost 17 days. That might explain what I’d call kind of average wrestling from them of late. They all look tired. Maybe once they start tapering a bit we’ll see his FS level return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Yeah. DT, Cenzo, Hall and others light up when they talk about him. Putting 2 and 2 together, based on his and other’s performance, I have to wonder if PSU is going absolutely nuts during practice right now to make up for the lost 17 days. That might explain what I’d call kind of average wrestling from them of late. They all look tired. Maybe once they start tapering a bit we’ll see his FS level return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought they looked in great shape vs Michigan.  

5 hours ago, Schuteandscore said:

To explain:  I think Kemerer wins the title and Starocci does not, probably 5th or 6th... this year.  Then I think he does find a groove and wins 3 titles.  So yes, very Bo Nickal-like

wouldn't that be more Zain-like?  5-1-1-1

Keep in mind Kemerer can come back again next year.

Edited by lu_alum

2 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

I found it interesting that at last week's press availability when Cael Sanderson was asked how Carter Starocci was handling his loss he included the comment, "he's more willing to kind of listen to some stuff". Kids.

10 hours ago, Le duke said:

True that everything is lined up for him...just like Mark Hall.

14 hours ago, portajohn said:

As a lifelong PSU fan the answer is No

12 hours ago, Schuteandscore said:

Answer is yes 

12 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Long answer: Yes.

Short answer: No.

I’ll have to agree, no argument from me for these guys. 

8 hours ago, lu_alum said:

wouldn't that be more Zain-like?  5-1-1-1

Keep in mind Kemerer can come back again next year.

Yes, I was comparing the 3 titles, and I don’t think Kemerer will come back, but even if he does, next year Starocci will have another year of training and think he jumps a level.  Good point though, he may be back

I don't see it yet.  I need to see more.  Massa all but beat himself making a foolish decision to roll to his back and try to funk from the bottom.  Starocci just stood tough for the match and literally only took advantage of one position.  He never showed anything in neutral and his previous results show his offense has a ways to go.  Can't see him beating Kemmerer and anyone that gets ahead of him by a TD (Washington) can put him on the backside of the bracket.  

I don't know if you meant it like this but the more I think about it: both started their careers at 174, kind of got recognition on the national stage for the first time at the Southern Scuffle, both took a loss to Indiana during their freshman seasons. If he wins the Big 10 Championship, and then loses at nationals to the same person in his same class and develops one of the best rivalries in wrestling we will know for sure.

2 hours ago, LordNelson said:

I don't see it yet.  I need to see more.  Massa all but beat himself making a foolish decision to roll to his back and try to funk from the bottom.  Starocci just stood tough for the match and literally only took advantage of one position.  He never showed anything in neutral and his previous results show his offense has a ways to go.  Can't see him beating Kemmerer and anyone that gets ahead of him by a TD (Washington) can put him on the backside of the bracket.  

Massa was two more seconds of riding time from winning the match and this thread isn't created (yet)

4 hours ago, LordNelson said:

He has shown some great offense from his feet in freestyle matches.  And not freestyle type points.  Straight attacks.  I still think he's just adjusting to how tough college is and how to get your cardio right.  Once he starts getting acclimated a bit more and gaining confidence he will be right there with everyone.