kgschalhoub

Is Starocci the next Bo Nickal?

6 hours ago, LordNelson said:

I don't see it yet.  I need to see more.  Massa all but beat himself making a foolish decision to roll to his back and try to funk from the bottom.  Starocci just stood tough for the match and literally only took advantage of one position.  He never showed anything in neutral and his previous results show his offense has a ways to go.  Can't see him beating Kemmerer and anyone that gets ahead of him by a TD (Washington) can put him on the backside of the bracket.  

Washington was up 10-0 and barely survived. 

I think Starocci's talent and technique are plus-plus, to borrow a term from baseball scouts.  However, his risk-averse style keeps him in close matches with opponents of all skill levels.  I wish he would just "get on with it" against overmatched opponents.  I do think it would help him long term, particularly on top.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_the_Quakers said:

I think Starocci's talent and technique are plus-plus, to borrow a term from baseball scouts.  However, his risk-averse style keeps him in close matches with opponents of all skill levels.  I wish he would just "get on with it" against overmatched opponents.  I do think it would help him long term, particularly on top.

I don't think he really is all that risk averse. He isn't going to shoot with abandon against a 6th year senior like Massa. I think he is a little tired due to the uneven nature of the season. Over 4 years I think he will light up a lot of scoreboards. 

Wasn't commenting on the Massa match specifically.  His patience against Massa worked, although I think he could've easily been hit for stalling once or twice in the 1st two periods.  (Massa did seem to tire in the 3rd, and sure didn't seem to want to fight for that escape in the TB, thus the ill-advised roll through attempt.)

My issue is that Starocci wrestles the same match against Massa as he would wrestle against me.  It's why Fletcher's comment about his chances of being upset in R16 against a lower-seeded opponent is so prescient.   He keeps lesser opponents in matches when he should be blowing them away.   I think this will hurt him in the long run.

Edited by Voice_of_the_Quakers

Massa was two more seconds of riding time from winning the match and this thread isn't created (yet)
True, but Massa is an enigma at this point of his career.

I don't know if it's due injuries, burn out, or whatever.

He always seems to find a way to lose bouts he should win.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

No. Just based on odds. How many wrestlers have gone 2, 1, 1, 1? Very few. Starocci looks like he should have a solid career that may include multiple championships. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_the_Quakers said:

Wasn't commenting on the Massa match specifically.  His patience against Massa worked, although I think he could've easily been hit for stalling once or twice in the 1st two periods.  (Massa did seem to tire in the 3rd, and sure didn't seem to want to fight for that escape in the TB, thus the ill-advised roll through attempt.)

My issue is that Starocci wrestles the same match against Massa as he would wrestle against me.  It's why Fletcher's comment about his chances of being upset in R16 against a lower-seeded opponent is so prescient.   He keeps lesser opponents in matches when he should be blowing them away.   I think this will hurt him in the long run.

We disagree on what  Starocci's future will look like, but that's what this board is for. 

It's too early to say.  Starocci could be a 4X AA and maybe a 3X champ but I don't think he has the Wade Schalles/Gene Mills type pinning capability that Bo has.  Now Bo, on the other hand,  reminds me a lot of Wade Schalles. Bo could pin anybody anywhere at anytime. So could Schalles.  I just don't think Starocci is the pinning machine that Bo and Schalles were.  Remember the spladling of the Iowa wrestler at Iowa? Who knows.  I hope he 'pins' like Bo.  It would be fun to watch.  Time will tell. 

Edited by The Downington Destroyer

12 hours ago, Welcome1 said:

Nickal is not the correct comparison for Carter. Nor is Hall. The correct comparison to Carter is Matt Brown, stylistically.

I don't think he will need the most friendly reffing in history to win a national title...
but solid choice

13 minutes ago, Le duke said:

He’s about to be the #2 seed at B1Gs.

Beat Massa and Romero in successive weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He'll be #3 at best.  Labs earned the 1 or 2.  Undefeated.  Beat the kid who beat Starocci.

IMO the thing that made Nolf and Nickal so special is that they didn't care if they got scored on. It's too early to call Starocci the next anybody but that is a pretty big difference right now. It's probably for the best because he's seeing some pretty good competition right away.

On 2/16/2021 at 1:02 PM, Schuteandscore said:

Yes, I was comparing the 3 titles, and I don’t think Kemerer will come back, but even if he does, next year Starocci will have another year of training and think he jumps a level.  Good point though, he may be back

How can Kemmerer come back? isn't he a Senior that's been redshirted, what, twice already? 

On 2/16/2021 at 5:41 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Starrocci is nothing like Nickal.  Starrocci's strength is on top, he's not really dynamic from his feet and he's not much of a pinner.

I think he wins multiple NCAA titles but his style is closer to Retherford than Nickal.

The comparison wasn’t with styles, at least not mine.  It had to do with how I think their careers could end up.  I think he is still young and growing confidence and shows his ability to be there and just feel with another year he will start to separate himself.  But this is wrestling, he could of course end up never winning one title, but just not what I think will happen, IMHO

Starocci is not a big 174 and he has nowhere to go if he moves up.

Nickal's style was amazing in that in transcended weight classes.

Nothing Starocci has done has shown he will be near as close to what Nickal was.