Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Who wins 197?

This weight seems wide open this year. Who do you think takes it?

Myles Amine - He is wrestling in the Olympics, so that's pretty cool. He looked fine in his first matches of the season, but didn't look spectacular. He also lost to Trent Hidlay in freestyle, which should be Amine's better style. Trent is excellent, but Amine showed he can be beaten. Up another 7 pounds? I think he is far from a lock, especially in folkstyle. 

Eric Schultz - As solid as they come. Has wins over Warner and Davison this year. He is 18-2 in his last 20. Both losses were to Kollin Moore. In that stretch he beat 5+ qualifiers and 2 AAs.  He does have a loss to Woodley last season, so he probably doesn't want to hit him. The problem is, I would probably pick all but 1 or 2 on this contender list over him head to head. I don't think he wins it. 

Jacob Warner - Very good. Inconsistent. Schultz is somehow his kryptonite. He has tons of impressive wins in past seasons. For whatever reason, he doesn't seem to be the same guy each time, so I can't pick him to win it. 

Noah Adams - Very good wrestler with a variety of attacks. Extreme speed. He doesn't have that many high level wins though. He did just beat AJ Ferrari. He lost to Buchanan twice, so he is probably praying to be on the opposite side. He was the preseason favorite to win, but not by a large margin. We do know he is extremely consistent (crazy win streak) and his reputation is he works harder than everyone. I can see him winning.

Stephen Buchanan - Is only on here because he beats Adams every time. He has losses to Elam (best of the rest) and got killed by Norfleet. I don't think he has a chance at winning NCAAs. I do think he has a chance at ruining Noah Adams' weekend. 

Tanner Sloan - Undefeated this season including a win over Woodley. He is dominant on top, and getting better and better on the feet. He took a few losses last season, all to good guys. Adams, Norfleet, Ferrari and Elam will all take him down. He can potentially turn Elam and Ferrari and maybe hold down/turn Norfleet late. I think Adams is too good on bottom to lose this. With the right draw, Tanner can make the finals. 

Kordell Norfleet - Kordell smashed Buchanan. It looked like what Kordell would do to me in a match. It was the same day he beat Adams too. This past weekend, Norfleet looked a bit vulnerable. I think he can win against anyone, but he needs to be consistent. He could DNP, as ASU sometimes does with excellent guys. 

AJ Ferrari - He lost a close one to Noah Adams. He beat Woodley. He is one of the best on his feet and seems solid on bottom too. For all of his flaws, he is a very hard worker and is going to only get better. I think he could beat anyone on the right night, but I doubt he strings enough wins back to back, especially considering the field. A guy like Amine or Sloan may very well ride him out/turn him. 

Best of the rest:

Lucan Davison - junior world medalists always transition well to ncaa wrestling. There are no exceptions. 

Rocky Elam - Super good in high school, even against senior level guys. He is going to win a title at some point, but he hasn't done quite enough to be a serious contender this year. 

Batista - He may not even start for ISU, but a junior world gold from Cuba is going to be one of the best on his feet in the country. It takes time to figure out Folkstyle. If he does it, he is going to dominate some good guys. He hasn't quite shown that dominance in his feet, yet. 

Thanks for this.  There are so few opportunities to see guys this year that my knowledge of many of them is tiny to non-existent.  Particularly those on teams that aren’t highly covered by Flo or posts on this board this year.  I past years I usually relied on the bigger tournaments to get to know more wrestlers, see their wrestling, hear commentary on them, and pseudo track their progress.  

These write-ups help to create some of the backstory that helps me to better enjoy the matches.

Amine literally looked like a coach wrestling one of his guys against Beard yesterday.. he physically looks more mature then every other guy ...even before all his international success the guys only loses in college are Zahid, Hall and Bo Jordan and I don’t see anyone even close to that level at 197 this year 

36 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Amine literally looked like a coach wrestling one of his guys against Beard yesterday.. he physically looks more mature then every other guy ...even before all his international success the guys only loses in college are Zahid, Hall and Bo Jordan and I don’t see anyone even close to that level at 197 this year 

Yes Amine is a 6th year senior, but isn’t Beard a 3rd year freshman (grayshirt/redshirt)?

I think Amine wins it.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Yes Amine is a 6th year senior, but isn’t Beard a 3rd year freshman (grayshirt/redshirt)?

I think Amine wins it.

Yea brooks, beard , joe lee, Nevills ( and teske and Teasdale) are all the same recruiting class as Rby , who is a true junior ( unless he got last year back I’m still not sure how that works ) 

I wasn’t saying the coach thing as a negative for Amine I was saying he looked like he wasn’t even going 100 percent and still controlled the whole match, honestly outside of Spencer Lee, Amine Is the guy I’m most confident is going to win a title this year 

Edited by Antitroll2828

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Yea brooks, beard , joe lee, Nevilles ( and teske and Teasdale) are all the same recruiting class as Rby , who is a true junior ( unless he got last year back I’m still not sure how that works ) 

I wasn’t saying the coach thing as a negative for Amine I was saying he looked like he wasn’t even going 100 percent and still controlled the whole match, honestly outside of Spencer Lee, Amine Is the guy I’m most confident is going to win a title this year 

Really?  There isn't a heavyweight wrestler that you'd consider a bigger lock than Myles Amine up 2 weights?

17 minutes ago, Konquest said:

Really?  There isn't a heavyweight wrestler that you'd consider a bigger lock than Myles Amine up 2 weights?

No I think a gable Paris match Saturday night could go either way, I can’t see anyone at 197 beating Amine 

Edited by Antitroll2828

12 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Yea brooks, beard , joe lee, Nevills ( and teske and Teasdale) are all the same recruiting class as Rby , who is a true junior ( unless he got last year back I’m still not sure how that works ) 

You don't think the size will cause issues for him? I feel like a Tanner Sloan type guy could give him issues, especially if he can ride him for awhile.

I think Amine is the most well rounded wrestler and has the most tools to win, but I'm not picking him.

I feel I need to say something about Buchanan.  He did not wrestle much in High School.  Never did camps, clinics, or out of season wrestling at all until a bit after his Junior year.  He was a great FB player, just undersized.  He is an extremely good athlete with very little wrestling experience compared to most of these guys.  Last year he made a huge leap at Wyoming thanks to his coaches and the fact that he is a great kid who listens to everything.  Yes, he will make mistakes and lose to a variety of people yet, but his ceiling is very high and I would not want to draw him this year and certainly not in the future.  ( I am biased.) 

12 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Got ya.  I’d probably agree with this (as well as your Steveson/Parris sentiment), although I think it’s more that I’m not confident in picking someone other than Lee to win any other weight.   Although if Micic is out, an argument could probably be made for Fix.

12 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Got ya.  I’d probably agree with this (as well as your Steveson/Parris sentiment), although I think it’s more that I’m not confident in picking someone other than Lee to win any other weight.   Although if Micic is out, an argument could probably be made for Fix.

Fix huh? I honestly can’t wait to see fix vs RBY and see what they match up looks like and I think Alvarez and his funky style would be a interesting match with fix as well 

14 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Fix huh? I honestly can’t wait to see fix vs RBY and see what they match up looks like and I think Alvarez and his funky style would be a interesting match with fix as well 

Again I'm not that confident in him, just maybe moreso than others.  Without Micic I think Fix/RBY are at least the clear 1/2 (honorable mention to Desanto and Phillippi), at 197 there are a bunch of guys that might be able to upset Amine.

11 hours ago, Gantry said:

I'll keep saying it despite the loss, but give me Ferrari.  That double and the fact he holds such amazing position makes him the best of the bunch. 

OSU has lost something. They haven't modified their tech, tactics, match strategy, weight management, how they recruit, etc in over a decade. They have had some great recruiting classes that don't pan out. Why? The program is stale and Smith's legacy makes it hard to change.

Ferrari won't win. Rnd of 12.

4 hours ago, jackwebster said:

OSU has lost something. They haven't modified their tech, tactics, match strategy, weight management, how they recruit, etc in over a decade. They have had some great recruiting classes that don't pan out. Why? The program is stale and Smith's legacy makes it hard to change.

Ferrari won't win. Rnd of 12.

Fix won't win either if he meets DeSanto. 

Whittlake is their 2nd best wrestler and my favorite. No circus moves like Fix, and will exceed expectations.

Something's wrong with Plott.

Something is wrong with Sheets.

Boo is unreliable and will crab ride his way to a DNP. 

Mastro can't use his bundle against the guys he will see at NCAA's. He might not qualify. 

Geer is unreliable. He gives up points to score points, but doesn't have the tank to make up ground.

Edited by jackwebster

40 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Norfleet majored Batista 17-7 over the weekend so if he's really good on his feet he has a ways to go adapting it to folkstyle. 

For sure. In freestyle he would almost certainly beat Norfleet. 

It will take some time, but Batista will do well I think

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

For sure. In freestyle he would almost certainly beat Norfleet. 

It will take some time, but Batista will do well I think

2 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

If you're getting majored like that in folkstyle no way are you going to turn around and beat somebody in freestyle. 

He's 4-4 with 0 D1 wins. He's not even their best 197 imo. He should not be included in this conversation.

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

He's 4-4 with 0 D1 wins. He's not even their best 197 imo. He should not be included in this conversation.

I wonder where the people who said Echemendia was going to be a champ or finalist are. Same story, not even the best on his own team.